Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Amie

Global Warming & Dog Training

Postby Amie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:14 pm

MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Global Warming & Dog Training

Postby MarMar » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:56 pm

Love this article, it's all over my Facebook today :)

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:08 pm

Thank you so much for posting this article. I'm not currently on FB and I have a bunch of people I need to share this with.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:25 pm

So I'm teaching a class at a local private rescue facility SPCA-type place. Three people showed up for the first class with Gentle Leaders on their dogs. They all wanted to do restrained recalls to a toy with the dog wearing the GL because they "get out of control" on a flat collar.

and they were right. When the GL came off, each of these dogs were totally out of control at the end of the leash and had no manners about walking nicely too ad from the exercise.

Each one of these handlers, on multiple occasions, has wrenched the dogs head towards them or literally lifted up on the leash to pull the dog's head for a "watch me".

All 3 have dropped at this point citing that they didn't want to get their dogs so riled up by playing tug since it leads to aggression.

Totally depressing to me since I pride myself on my class first and foremost teaching people how to have a relationship with their dog. and a reminder that any training product can be using negatively and dangerously.

Return to “Training and Behavior”