odd behaviors

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
weesy
Newborn Bully

odd behaviors

Postby weesy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:58 pm

hello everyone, first time post here! I have a one year old pit named Bentley. we got him from a rescue. he is just an energetic little guy, he's our baby. my boyfriend and I live alone and Bentley is our only pup. he has some odd behavior issues I'm hoping to get some help with...
-he is kennel trained and every time I buy him a new bed for his "room" he just tears it up instead of ssitting or sleeping on it. what can I do?
-he's usually great with me, cuddles, chews his toys. but when left alone with my bf he's completely different, won't sit still wants to bite or play rough, how can I get him to act the same with both of us?
-last but not least, I wish I didn't have to kennel Bentley I wish I could at least let him sleep in my room at right and just kennel him while no one is home.but I can't get him to even behave in our room normally. he wants to tear things up or pull the sheets on the bed, unless he's occupied hypocritical toys and treats he's a disaster in the bedroom. what can I do?
help please!

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Re: odd behaviors

Postby starrlamia » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:45 am

How much physical and mental exercise does he get?
Right now he is in the obnoxious teenage phase where pushing limits and being a general pain in the butt is a pass time. Exercise and training are usually the answer.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:02 am

You hit the nail on the head when you said he is high energy. He sounds like a bored, bratty puppy. I would suggest all meals be fed from work to eat toys, and tons of stimulating activity. Look into a dog training club near you, agility classes are a ton of fun for you and the dog and would teach you how to channel that energy.

As for not listening equally to both of you, both humans have to be on the same page. For example: if you want a "sit" before you play a game of tug (which can be a great thing) everyone needs to get your pup to sit before a game of tug. Here is a thread link about tug games- http://pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=154154

Some NILF may not hurt either. It's a simple and effective way to establish a set of clear rules and boundries while strengthening your relationship with your dog.

Sunburn
Newborn Bully

Postby Sunburn » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:12 am

Sounds normal to me for an underemployed pup. :) You should spend more time with him, do like the other members wrote, that´s good advice! What I wanted to tell you ist that it seems normal to me. It will get better when he becomes older. :thumbsup:

Bambina23
Newborn Bully

Postby Bambina23 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:09 pm

Don't lose faith. Puppies will be puppies.
I agree with all of the above baseline training and enough physical/mental stimulation will allow you to at least take the edge off of his naughty games.

Return to “Training and Behavior”