how many of you have dogs that fight ?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
welshdean
Newborn Bully

Postby welshdean » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:56 am

As you will see from my posting number, I'm new here.

People have been telling me that my 7 month old pit WILL start a fight with my other cross breed dog.
I fully appreciate the fact that they can become aggressive over items that they feel are worth protecting .
So I leave absolutely nothing in their room when I leave them together.

Here's some info on the two dogs...

Name : Lilly
Sex : Female
Colour : Red
Breed : staffordshire bull terrier / pitbull / American bulldog ( not confirmed )
Spade : Yes
Personality : quiet, placid, friendly, loving, docile

Name : Jake
Sex : Male
Colour : Black
Breed : Pitbull
Neutured : No
Personality : loving, loyal, energetic, playful, boisterous

My question is ...
Are these dogs guaranteed to fight one day, as I know Jake has it in his genes but surely it doesn't guarantee a fight.

If there are any people out there who house dogs together I would very much like to hear from you.

Please understand that I do not want everybody to say that everything will be fine, but then again I don't want all the negatives either.

I want the pros and cons please

Thankyou

Amie

Re: how many of you have dogs that fight ?

Postby Amie » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:11 am

NOTHING is guaranteed. Ever.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:31 am

I agree with Amie.
My two dogs get along about as well as two dogs ever have but they have had a couple of non-serious fights over bones, rawhides and once a water bottle WHILE I was supervising and happened to leave the room for a minute and now we don't take anything for granted.

welshdean
Newborn Bully

Postby welshdean » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:33 am

Thankyou for your replies. Do your dogs also sleep together overnight ?

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:44 am

I have two mixed breed dogs. Kaiser is an 11 1/2 year old male, neutered, 35 lbs. Lily is a 8 year old female, spayed, 60 lbs. I had Kaiser first and then got Lily when Kaiser was around 4 and Lily was 1. They have never had a prolonged fight but have had a few snarks at each other. Those have been enough for me to realize to keep them separate when I am not around to monitor.

I keep them separated when I am gone, always. I have some nice gates and Lily stays in the kitchen and Kaiser gets the rest of the house (which is usually the living room couch lol ). I do this because any breed of dog and no matter how long they have lived together in harmony can have something happen that might start a fight. Maybe there is someone outside the house and the dogs react to it but because they cannot get to that they might redirect on each other. Maybe the cat runs through the room and the dogs leave it alone but redirect on each other. I used to live with someone who had a dog and that dog and my Kaiser fought over an uncooked grain of rice on the floor! That was crazy.

I also monitor my dogs when outside in the yard. It seems if there is something on the other side of the fence and they both get too interested they will sometimes redirect on each other because they can't get to whatever it is on the other side. My dogs have done this.

They do each sleep wherever they want which is Kaiser on a cushion next to my bed and Lily on the living room couch. They have oftentimes over the years both slept on my bed also.

So I think with some management you can have your dogs and no one can say for sure that they will or will not fight. It is up to you to keep a close eye and keep them safe! :thumbsup:

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:50 am

My dogs sleep in our bedroom with us.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:11 am

welshdean wrote:My question is ...
Are these dogs guaranteed to fight one day, as I know Jake has it in his genes but surely it doesn't guarantee a fight.

If there are any people out there who house dogs together I would very much like to hear from you.

Guaranteed?-No. But don't you think it much safer to set them up for success as much as possible rather than failure? When you're home, if these dogs get along and you want them to be together-let them. But when you're not home, it is much safer to separate them. You may NEVER have a fight, but with bully breeds sometimes all it takes is one fight. A dog could be seriously injured or even dead-because no one was there to stop the fight before it became serious.

We currently have three dogs, two residents and one foster. Our dogs can get along with each other in the house under great supervision. (Additionally, they do well on walks, hanging out in public or anywhere on leashes) But it's easier on us, and I really believe less stressful on them, if they are separated (90% of the time). We've had the foster for a month (today as a matter of fact) and we've just started talking about introducing him to the other dogs. And by that I mean allowing him to hang out with one or both of them. So far, the only interaction they've had is through baby gates and walks around the neighborhood. We think based on his personality he's going to get along with both of our dogs. Our dogs are almost complete opposites. Trooper is very boisterous, loud, goofy, playful, energetic, and quick to react to another dog. Bailey is very quiet, sort of shy, couch potatoey, sometimes bitchy, and has more patience with other dogs. Harley-the foster is surprisingly (to me) energetic for an English Bulldog, but is great at taking corrections and really has the "I don't want any trouble" kind of personality. He's not good with personal space (steps on our toes a lot) but again takes great direction. He also plays really well by himself (easily entertained). We'll likely introduce him to Bailey first. And then as time goes on-maybe-with Trooper.

The point I'm hoping to make is that all dogs are different. Yes, breed predisposes them to certain things (bullies not backing down from a fight, terriers wanting to dig, other dogs wanting to herd-etc), but it is your job as a responsible pet parent to set them up for as much success as possible.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:12 am

Oh, and each night our dogs take turns sleeping with us.

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:31 pm

Here is a good link on having a multi-dog home http://www.badrap.org/node/96

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:42 pm

Peanut is our only dog. We crate her at night and when we leave the house.

I dogsit for my friends and they have 4 German Shorthair Pointers. 2 female 2 male. One of each is spayed/neutered. Peanut is spayed.

Peanut doesn't fight. She gets along with all 4 dogs. We pick up all the toys except tennis balls (they have dozens of those) so there are no problems w anyone getting possessive.

When I dogsit for all 4 and she is there, I never leave the room without her. When I take a shower, she's crated. If I have to use the bathroom, she is with me. Why? Because I don't want any problems. I'm not there to enforce a 'cool it' when they get too intense during play.

In your case, I would separate them when I couldn't watch them. The problem is, if they are together by themselves, your first indication that they aren't getting along will be, at the least, one of them biting the other or even a brawl. Or one will get into mischief and the other will follow along. There is no way for any of us to know whether your dogs will get along forever. It is possible, but it's also possible that they won't.

Just out of curiosity, has Jake had all his shots and been checked for parasites? I saw your post about housetraining him and it didn't say. Are planning on getting him neutered?

welshdean
Newborn Bully

Postby welshdean » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:58 pm

Thanks to everybody that have given me some useful answers so far.

Nickdawg, cheers for the link in your post. It gave me a better insight.

The way people were saying things before, it sounded like pitbulls could never live with other dogs.

welshdean
Newborn Bully

Postby welshdean » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:02 pm

Shoshana, yes he has had his jabs. He needs to be fleed soon. But he's not over scratching, so if he does have any atall, he's not riddled lol

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:07 pm

To the OP...if you were referring to my replies in your other threads, I did not say that it was guaranteed, I said it was a possibility and asked if you were willing to crate/rotate if that day comes. I also informed you of the POSSIBILITY of a fight happening and you finding a dead dog since you leave them in a room together unattended.

My girls sleep in the bed with me. They get along great together! But you better believe that when I'm not going to be in the room that they are separated. Either in their crates, or in different rooms. I'm not risking what COULD happen.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:08 pm

welshdean wrote:The way people were saying things before, it sounded like pitbulls could never live with other dogs.
Where? People just said not to leave your dogs home alone together without supervision. Many of us have multiple dogs who live peacefully with eachoter, it's just irresponsible leaving them alone without supervision for extended periods of time. There's no guarantee they would fight, but there's also no guarantee they won't. If you're not there to break up a minor scuffle if it happens it could lead to a major fight with dogs severely injured or dead as a result. Many members here learned that the hard way, it's best to learn from ther mistakes and not repeat them.

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:11 pm

My dog would fight over certain things such as food, bones, high value toys, even sleeping spots on the bed. With these triggers carefully managed, we've been able to avoid any serious fights with my mom's dog living here, but I know better than to leave them to work things out on their own terms.

Most of the time they tolerate each other just fine and have no issues, but it only takes one time. It's much easier to be careful and keep them safe.

Return to “Training and Behavior”