He has no respect for me?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
<3myBoogie
Newborn Bully

He has no respect for me?

Postby <3myBoogie » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:15 pm

Hello. Me again lol

I had to take Boogie to petsmart to be properly sized for a gentle leader (opted against it fyi) and as i was trying to rescue him from being stuck in it...the lady helping me just laughed n shook her head saying " he has no respect for you as leader right now" all the while boogie is flailing around desperately trying to bite this head harness.

It makes sense....but is that really the case? No respect?

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Re: He has no respect for me?

Postby starrlamia » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:25 pm

Bull imo most people spout leadership and dominance training without really understanding dog behaviour. More likely he had no idea why or what you were shoving onto his nose.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:26 pm

Not really. He was likely confused and afraid, not acting disrespectful. You've only had him a week. You are a stranger. Slow down.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:30 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:Not really. He was likely confused and afraid, not acting disrespectful. You've only had him a week. You are a stranger. Slow down.

Oops, sorry. Just realized you are a different poster than I thought. However, Boogies dad just disappeared out of his life-- a major change! He's probably confused and afraid and worried. Positive interactions, gentle praise and a consistent routine will do him good, NOT "showing him who is boss".

<3myBoogie
Newborn Bully

Postby <3myBoogie » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:32 pm

I've had the dog almost.a year now :)

So its not about leadership and dominance? Anyone have good reading on that?

<3myBoogie
Newborn Bully

Postby <3myBoogie » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:35 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:
AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:Not really. He was likely confused and afraid, not acting disrespectful. You've only had him a week. You are a stranger. Slow down.

Oops, sorry. Just realized you are a different poster than I thought. However, Boogies dad just disappeared out of his life-- a major change! He's probably confused and afraid and worried. Positive interactions, gentle praise and a consistent routine will do him good, NOT "showing him who is boss".

Would his dad being gone affect him NOW??...its been like 7 months now... i agree with consistent routine...

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:07 pm

Info on Alpha/Dominance Theory
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=133680&p=1778024&hilit=Debunking+Alpha+Theory#p1778024

NILIF
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=59697

Check those out if you haven't already. The first one is just info about the "respect"/dominance thing you asked about. The second one will help you tremendously with some of his "attitude" problems.

<3myBoogie
Newborn Bully

Postby <3myBoogie » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:46 am

Thanks!!!

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:39 am

Lots of good articles in that link, here's a another I didn't see listed and a newer one
http://drsophiayin.com/philosophy/dominance/
http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues ... 416-1.html

You'll run into those sort of situations a lot, heck, there's people who think if you feed your dog before you eat your breakfast it makes them dominant. We learn to grin and ignore it, no matter the method you choose, someone will always question it. It's the dog world for yuh, but from the looks of it you're on a good path and seem very open minded. Open minded is the best thing you can be IMO

<3myBoogie
Newborn Bully

Postby <3myBoogie » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:46 pm

Thank you so much! And yeah I've heard about the breakfast thing too lol. Thanks again

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:00 am

Along with what Valreegrl has posted, you should be able to measure the dog at home with one of those sewing tape measurers and use those measurements to find the right one.

If visual learning is easier for you, there's a video around here somewhere where a lady is getting her dog used to the muzzle, it uses exactly the same steps Val has suggested. I'll see if I can look it up for you.

I am so turned off by all of the "alpha" "dominant" talk that when I'm talking to someone and they say something like that it immediately makes me incredible hulk angry/crazy and I usually sputter/can't speak.

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:16 am

I have tried a lot of different collars with my dog Lily and have had the best luck with a front hooking harness. I was quite skeptical at first thinking she'd just pull out of it but it seemed to calm her down as soon as I put it on. I did begin by putting it on the floor and throwing treats all around it so she could smell it and then I'd just lie it over her back first (without hooking the strap underneath and give treats and then worked up to hooking the strap underneath (that was the one that made her a little skittish at first). It might be an option for your Boogie.

<3myBoogie
Newborn Bully

Postby <3myBoogie » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:27 pm

Thanks for all the input. Yes after researching the gentle leader i thought it'd be great, didn't stop to think that he'd refuse to walk lol.

I actually DID opt for the front hooking harness. I was skeptical because i thought harnesses made them pull more, but its been working wonders!!!

As for the dominance thing... now I'm all confused...if its not about that how come the nilif talks about top dog and such? Different theories???

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:21 pm

I wasn't able to find the video...then forgot to come back and tell you, sorry about that.

Return to “Training and Behavior”