Houdini dog, and mad mad me.

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Re: Houdini dog, and mad mad me.

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:06 pm

Again glad to hear that things are going so well with Boss.

Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Boss*sMom » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:10 pm

Bad day, really, really bad day.

I left at 9:30, took a test at school, came home for lunch. Took the damn dog for a walk and played with him, had my lunch, went to class from 1 to 3. I get home at 3:30 and he has destroyed my living room, the worst damage being that he absolutely destroyed my flash drive that had ALL of my important school information on it. Things that I need to turn in this week, its all gone. In pieces....

I am so mad. I don't know if I need to find Boss a new home or invest in something that will just about knock him out when I'm gone. I can't take this crap anymore though. There is a tree down in front of his run outside, so he may go on a chain in the yard. I can't take this anymore. I had to rehome amos over this.

I just want a normal dogs :/ I want to kick scream and cry. UGH.

Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Boss*sMom » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:24 pm

What am I doing wrong? Please lord someone help me?!?!

I have spent hundreds of dollars on crates, strong chew toys, things for him to do, I am leaving the radio on for him, covering his crate, switched him to an expensive food, and drove an extra 50 freaking miles today so I could come home during lunch and let him out of his freaking crate to go for a walk and THIS is what I get??? I feel like I'm being a good dog owner, I feel like any other dog would be so happy with this life, why why why can't this dog chill the hell out when I'm gone. i havent been gone for more than 5 hours in days now. I have changed everything about my life for this dog.

I love him, more than anything, But I really really need this to stop. If my teacher wont email me some of the things I lost on that flash drive I am going to be in alot of trouble with my grades. I just want to cry.

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:12 pm

The next step is to probably consult a vet and also veterinary behaviorist. Also, stop leaving things of value out where he can get them. You have a dog who has shown he can be destructive. Why is anything important anywhere near him?

Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Boss*sMom » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:17 pm

He has already seen the vet. The flash drive was on my desk. We live in a trailor I can't put absolutely everything away. I didn't think it was possible for him to get out of this crate.

I don't think we have a veterinary behaviorist in my area but my vet is going to get us medication for separation anxiety and boss is going back outside from here out. There is a tree down in front of the run and the removal guy.can't come out for a couple more weeks. So o can't get his dog house back in the pen.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:33 pm

I totally understand where you're coming from with you frustration and anger but I also feel like you have set an unrealistic timeline in which Boss should be "cured".

Obi has had SA for his entire 5.5 years. He's destroyed countless things, but they're just things. Never once did I consider him not "normal" or banishing him outside. That would have made my life easier, it would have saved me money on crates and replacing things he wrecked, but it wouldn't have helped him.

It's taken five long years of two steps forward, one step back for us to get to a point where he can be (sort of) trusted to be loose when he's home. Even now we still go through unexplained periods of regression where he will pee or poop in the house.

I understand you're upset but consider for a moment how Boss feels when he's home-- clearly he's distressed. What works for one dog, doesn't work for another.

In Obi's case we actually found that going home at lunch abd then leaving again made things much worse. So we do a big walk in the AM and a huge wall in the PM. Having him watch us leave was a big trigger for him, so we would give him a kong upstairs to have while we snuck out.

We used amitriptyline when things were really bad. I don't know that it actually helped.

Boss isn't going to get better in a day, a week, or even a month. Consider his good days a blessing, and the bad days his norm. It's a long, frustrating road but rehoming him isn't going to help. It sounds like you need some professional help.

Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Boss*sMom » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:30 pm

I need professional help, or I need professional help with him?

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:40 pm

Boss*sMom wrote:I need professional help, or I need professional help with him?

With the both of you... One professional behaviorist to help you both together.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk

Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Boss*sMom » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:46 pm

Thanks. I'm looking for one in my area. I took a couple hours to just chill. We are going to bed now. I will get locks for the crate tomorrow so he can't get it open

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Boss*sMom » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:36 pm

Sorry y'all. I just have alot of other life stuff going on as well and Its got me in a rough mood.

Boss is chilling next to me on the couch. Wish I could see inside his head.

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:27 am

I live in a trailer, too, and for most of that it was just me and the other animals (no humans to help out with the process). I spent hundreds of dollars on a crate Liberty really couldn't break out of (this one). It's worth it to know she's not destroying the house or herself. Meds didn't really work for us, but I'm glad we tried them.

It has not been an easy road.

<3myBoogie
Newborn Bully

Postby <3myBoogie » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:16 pm

I don't have any fancy advice for you...just wanted you to know you're not alone...

Boogie has eaten my couch (dug a whole and ripped the entire cushion apart several times)... he destroyed my carpet which resulted in us having to put new flooring in...he ate my Valentino glasses.... not to mention tables chairs baby clothes binkies the new couch...tv wires...lamp wires... you name it...he destroyed it...

I'm not sure its seperation anxiety but it IS exhausting. I hope things get better.

Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Boss*sMom » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:26 am

I zip tied his crate today.... I was gone from 8-11 and then 12-5 and then 9-11. He did just fine :D

Not happy, but he can't get out.

Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Boss*sMom » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:45 am

Things are going well. Not chewing the zip ties, crate is staying strong. I'm thinking about downsizing his crate though, It is very large, more for a big lab or a GSD. I'm just not exactly sure how much smaller it needs to be or should be. Its large enough that he can lay comfortably on either side and there are several inches to spare.

I have thought about a plastic crate, but do y'all think he could bust out of that easily?

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:54 am

Why are you thinking of making it smaller?

I'm concerned that just because he isn't able to get out of his crate, doesn't mean he is any better. Is he very distressed in his crate? There are things you can/should be doing to make him more comfortable to be at home alone, but zip typing him in his crate without addressing the actual issue is only helping your house, I'm afraid.

Return to “Training and Behavior”