Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
<3myBoogie
Newborn Bully

too good to be true?!

Postby <3myBoogie » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:32 pm

Curly_07

Re: too good to be true?!

Postby Curly_07 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:07 pm

I'm not seeing any certifications nor the types of training methods they use. Besides, you can't train a dog in 1 day! I'd steer clear, but that's just my opinion.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk

rgyoung777
Addicted to PBF

Postby rgyoung777 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:47 am

Google "Stein-Way Dog Training Reviews." There aren't many, but on the balance, folks on Yahoo!Local don't seem to have had good experiences with her methods. The one individual who gave her four stars is as ignorant of canine behavior as the trainer herself seems to be.

From what I can tell, this "trainer" uses antiquated methods that seem to stem from some grave misconceptions about canine behavior. It is highly likely that she will use physical punishment to achieve quick compliance from your dog if you go to her for training. It is very obvious from much of the wording on the website that getting results quickly is of more importance to her than training/teaching in a manner that results in a happy, well-adjusted dog who is eager to learn with his owner because learning is a safe, fun, positive experience for him.

I realize that your Boogie is presenting you with some interesting challenges, and I know you must be pretty frustrated at this point, but trust me, this is not the kind of trainer he (or any dog on the planet, for that matter) needs. I know you want him to settle down, and I know you want his "misbehavior" to stop, but all of that that will come with daily work, consistency, and positive methods. Things will get easier, especially once you find the right trainer (namely, one who does not employ physical punishment to force your dog into complying, and definitely one who understands that true, lasting training takes time and daily practice).

Your instinct that this woman is too good to be true is absolutely 100% correct. Please do not give her any of your hard-earned money, and don't subject Boogie or yourself to her methods. Despite her assertion that dogs only need one day of her training methods to learn all they need to know about how to behave, training a dog is truly a lifelong activity. Your dog is always learning, and it is your job as his owner to guide him with love, consistency, patience, fairness, and compassion. Find a trainer who respects the canine species enough to help you teach Boogie in the kindest way we as humans have discovered so far, using reward-based training, with no compulsion or physical punishment. It will take much more than a day, but that's a good thing, for both you and Boogie. Repetition and daily practice don't just work for humans; they work for dogs as well!

One-size-fits-all methods like this person's proprietary regimen don't take into account the fact that dogs are individuals. If her program fails to work for a dog, she blames the dog instead of her program. Someone with that attitude is a salesman first, not a dog trainer. Dog training has come a very long way in recent years, but this woman is apparently stuck in the past, committed to her "training system," and to marketing her way of doing things no matter how out-dated it may be.

Sorry for pontificating on my soapbox over here, but some of the language on her website and those reviews sent up a lot of red flags for me. You received some excellent suggestions in one of your other threads about how to go about finding a great trainer in your neck of the woods. Keep looking; I know you will find someone much, much better than Stein to teach you how to teach Boogie. Good luck in your search, and please do continue asking questions and seeking help here; you've got the right attitude, and I think your instincts are good, because you were already wondering if this woman's spiel was too good to be true.

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:50 am

I know that Boogie is not "aggressive" but I wonder if getting Karen Pryor's "Click to Calm" might help?
Here is a link to the book: http://www.clickertraining.com/node/343

<3myBoogie
Newborn Bully

Postby <3myBoogie » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:26 pm

Thanks for everyones input. I typed up a long response this morning but it seems to be mia. :(

I figured it was crazy, but thought it was one hell of a guarantee. Honestly...since implementing the clicker he's been learning a lot more....he's still a big brat :p but he's learning.

Positive association is what I'm after, and I'll be damned if anyone is gonna use physical force on my dog. Ill admit I've been guilty of spanking him on the behind, but since reading and educating myself further I've noticed way more results with simply ignoring behaviors and putting the blame on myself for certain behaviors rather than boogie (chewing)

I'm grateful for this site and i value all the input! :)

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:45 pm

You are well on your way to what you want now, and you really have made big strides in a short time. Pitties are very intelligent and active dogs. The more things you teach him, the better he will be. The hard part is thinking up new "challenges"! From everything you have posted so far, Boogie just sounds like a big puppy that is craving knowledge and learning... and a job! Getting yourself into the routine of "every moment in time is training time" is hard. Simple things like folding laundry can be used to practice his stay, picking up toys can be used to teach a retrieve, dinner time can be used to practice sits and downs, and if you are working in the yard put on his harness and hook him up to a cart so he can cart the weeds to the compost pile. Giving a dog "chores" and a job always gives you a happy, well behaved dog.

Return to “Training and Behavior”