running out the door.

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
<3myBoogie
Newborn Bully

running out the door.

Postby <3myBoogie » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:17 pm

This is a MAJOR problem with boogie.

Every time someone opens the door he bolts out like a bat outta hell. If the outside door is open he takes flight.

I'm trying to teach go to spot, and i managed to open the door n him not moving...but 9/10 he books.

Any suggestions?

Every time the door opens i have to physically wrestle him back in the doorway...

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: running out the door.

Postby Mooresmajestic » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:26 pm

Is it a possibility to tether him to his "place"? It is a passive way to teach a stay, but it works.

Have him go to the place, reward, say down (its harder for a dog to break a stay from a down), reward, hook up the tether and say stay, walk away a few steps, return, reward, repeat over more distance and longer times. Add in opening the door after he gets the idea of stay.

It would work for you because he can't break his "place" and run out the door thanks to the tether. He would be rewarded everytime he stayed in his spot (even if he doesn't keep a down right away. Expect more the longer you work on it), thus eliminating the failure rate and setting him up for success every time.

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:37 pm

This is what I tried to send you via PM to answer your questions but it wouldn't send! The above is how I taught Curly, minus the tether. By his actions tho, a tether prob wouldn't be a bad idea...

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:54 pm

After he builds some self control with what Moores and Curly suggested see if you have a friend that'll come over. They don't ever really have to come in, just have them ring/knock and proceed to answer the door as if you normally would. And if where you live is anything like where I live (bug infested) buy that friend a drink!

<3myBoogie
Newborn Bully

Postby <3myBoogie » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:26 pm

What's a tether? lol

The funny thing is though...he "knows" stay.

I hold the treat say stay! And i can walk all the way to the other room and he won't budge unless i say come! But if that door swings open...forget ittttt

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:59 pm

A tether is basically just a leash attached to something that won't move. If you don't have an object that he can't move by his place and you don't mind a small hole in the wall, screw a large eyebolt (they look like a big O with a screw on one end) into a stud in the wall about 2 feet off the floor at his spot. I prefer a 6 foot leash to start, then move up to a long line tied short at 10 feet, then 15 feet, and so on as he gets better at stating. By adding more length to the line, you are giving him the chance to make a mistake (by having room to break the stay), but he still can't fail by running out the door. When he does make a mistake, you can correct him calmly (just start the exercise over) because your worried emotions won't be involved. You can't worry about him running out the door if he can't physically reach the door. It will keep you calm, and he will pick up what is expected of him quicker.

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:12 pm

<3myBoogie wrote:The funny thing is though...he "knows" stay.

I hold the treat say stay! And i can walk all the way to the other room and he won't budge unless i say come! But if that door swings open...forget ittttt

Basically what this says to me is, he knows stay... until he finds something better to do/ he doesn't want to anymore.

The tether will help. I used the same basic exercise with Vi when we were working on her stays. She wanted to break when her buddies were running around playing ball. It helped me teach her quickly that when I said stay, I ment stay no matter what. It set her up to make a mistake so I could quietly correct her and put her back in a down stay, but she couldn't ever truly fail because she couldn't ever get what she wanted until I said so.

<3myBoogie
Newborn Bully

Postby <3myBoogie » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:59 pm

Oooh smartttt. I never would have thought of that...

Now... would utilizing the tether be a smart move to use for when company comes over rather than the crate?

<3myBoogie
Newborn Bully

Postby <3myBoogie » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:43 am

Ps curly...they told me to have you try again LOL idk

<3myBoogie
Newborn Bully

Postby <3myBoogie » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:45 am

And lol jamie. Ill have my sister knock!

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:24 pm

<3myBoogie wrote:Oooh smartttt. I never would have thought of that...

Now... would utilizing the tether be a smart move to use for when company comes over rather than the crate?

I would think so, but it would depend on him and if you can work on his stays while entertaining company.

<3myBoogie
Newborn Bully

Postby <3myBoogie » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:50 pm

Holyyyy hell.

We were practicing stays. The treat was using the Kong ball to tug.

He was doing great.

So i pulled out the mat and he IMMEDIATELY ran to the mat. Quickly gave me a down.

I was able to sit on couch...he stayed. Opened the door...he stayed. We were celebrating when he proceeded to nudge the door back open n run out. Lmao. This dog....

I got him back in and he ran to the damn mat. Lmao.

I folded it up n put it away. I'm in the other room...

Time to make up lol

Return to “Training and Behavior”