puppy dreams and growling.

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
<3myBoogie
Newborn Bully

puppy dreams and growling.

Postby <3myBoogie » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:30 am

Okay. Me again (boy i bet you're kicking yourself for giving me "full access" lol )

Ever since boog was a tiny thing he'd have puppy dreams and twitch in his sleep. He'd always make cute little noises.

Now...I've never heard boog growl....ever. well unless your playing tug but its not one of those deep real growls.

Boog is an ultimate snuggler. He always sleeps in the bed under the covers...and is always physically snuggled close.

Well... he was having a puppy dream and started growling. It startled me out of my sleep considering his face was near mine.

Of course i didn't get close to wake him up...i just called his name until he awoke.

Should i be worried about him biting or snapping in his sleep or is it just a puppy thing that hell grow out of?

Curly_07

Re: puppy dreams and growling.

Postby Curly_07 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:14 am

Both of my girls bark, growl, run on their sides, twitch, etc when in deep sleep. I usually just wake them by calling their names or by a gentle pet. They've never bit/nipped in their sleep nor at me when I wake them. It's gotten more frequent with age, so I doubt it's a puppy thing.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:18 pm

Yeah mine growl and kick and do all sorts of adorably cute crap when they are sleeping. Normal.

AbbyGirl352
Super Bully

Postby AbbyGirl352 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:17 pm

My boys both growl, run, snort and Finn even howls in his sleep. i think he dreams of being a mighty wolf. lol

chinchi_&_chupa
Super Bully

Postby chinchi_&_chupa » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:01 pm

My favorite is when my 6 year old, 73 lb, DA, sometimes HA, Thor suckles in his sleep. I just love it! I wish I knew what they dream about!

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:16 pm

Don't worry, REM sleep actually paralyzes major muscles in all animals, Incl humans unless a sleep disorder is present or certain drugs are used to prevent it (done on purpose in medical studies). Random factoid for ya. So beyond twitching, some vocalization, and (in animals) raising of "hackels", and even suckling, an animal can not move enough to harm themselves or others. An animal may "strike/snap" if startled awake in this state, so don't grab them suddenly.

I saw this on a really cool program on PBS a few weeks ago. I have no idea what the program was actually about, but I found that part really interesting. They gave a cat special drugs to prevent the REM paralysis to see if they could find out what they dream about. They found that the cat exhibited normal running, stalking, pouncing, and play behaviors on "imaginary" prey, and was able to interact with its' normal environment like it usually would (as long as nothing was changed during this time) during REM sleep.

Return to “Training and Behavior”