My puppy is too smart

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
furever_pit
Adolescent Bully

Re: My puppy is too smart

Postby furever_pit » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:39 pm

Personally, I love when a dog starts offering a behavior that it has just learned. It shows me that the dog has absorbed the information that has been provided and that it understands that doing what it has been shown will be beneficial to them. I typically don't even name a behavior until the dog is offering it on their own as a way to solicit praise/treat/play.

I then move the dog out of the offering phase by not rewarding unless that behavior is asked for. Also, if you teach a strong focus (eye contact) then that typically becomes the default as the dog waits for the command that will earn them whatever you are offering as a reward.

kathak
Newborn Bully

Postby kathak » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:45 pm

Well, I haven't started the clicker training yet, getting the clicker tomorrow.
But Bella has figured something else out. When she has something in her mouth that she is not supposed to have, like a sock, I would give her a treat in exchange so she won't eat or destroy what ever she has. Now she started to look for socks, will sit in front of the place were her treats are and wait for me to exchange. ... I didn't know pit bulls are known to retreat. lol
Must be the lab in her :aha:

Amie

Postby Amie » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:09 pm

Just thought of this article reading your subject line: http://paws4udogs.wordpress.com/2012/09 ... smart-dog/

kathak
Newborn Bully

Postby kathak » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:07 am

Amie, I totally agree with that article. Thanks!

I got the clicker today with instruction so I will see how she will respond to it. I wont be able to use it until tomorrow though because I will class until late night.
I am very curious about her response.

amalie79
Newborn Bully

Postby amalie79 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:17 am

The first clicker I bought years ago had instruction, and they were pretty terrible. I like this video as a quick primer on how to use it for very basic things.

http://youtu.be/FAb3KJyxq0o

kathak
Newborn Bully

Postby kathak » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:38 am

thanks for the video!!

Return to “Training and Behavior”