Who trains for someone else? Who employs other trainers?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Amie

Who trains for someone else? Who employs other trainers?

Postby Amie » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:55 pm

I'm in the early stages of researching hiring a freelance trainer, or what the options are. Right now I'm the only trainer at the shelter, but we're looking at hiring someone else. It will involve me coming up with a proposal to add to our budget, and so we're trying to figure out the best way for us to do this - should we pay someone per class? Per student? Per hour? Per day? What are your experiences - what works, what doesn't? Talk to me!

Curly_07

Re: Who trains for someone else? Who employs other trainers

Postby Curly_07 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:33 pm

I'm really no help here. I train people all the time at my job. I do it while I'm working. It's not something I get paid for nor is it in my job description. Personally, I don't like it either. Myself and one other are kind of like legend techs here(most experienced, and know the ropes), and we have a pretty high turnover of new guys. Management always has myself and this other guy do the training, while we work, and after they shadow us for about a week, we then let them drive while we supervise. If/When they are able to perform the duties correctly, they then get put into a shift and work rotation.

If you hired someone specifically to do the training, wouldn't they need to be trained as well and know all of the ins/outs, and rules to be able to train new hires/volunteers? From my experience, it takes one time and experience to get to that level. Sorry I'm no help... I get screwed over.

Shearaha1
Newborn Bully

Postby Shearaha1 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:04 pm

I train for my mentor in addition to walking for a local company and walk/vacation care for my behavioral vet as well. Each place handles paying me a little differently. I also have my own walking/vacation/post-op care/training business.

My mentor sometimes pays in cash, sometimes dinner. As of right now we don't have anything in print and I'm fine with that. The knowledge I've gained with her the last 2 years is priceless.

The walking company pays me per walk. I currently handle 6 of their daily/weekly clients. I get a percentage of what the client pays them.

The behavioral vet has a set price list. They refer clients to me. I set things up with the client, do meet and greets, get to know the dog/s their triggers, diet restrictions the whole gambit of do's and don'ts for that particular dog. The clinic bills the client and I invoice the clinic.

amalie79
Newborn Bully

Postby amalie79 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:23 pm

I have been basically apprenticing for a year now-- puppy, basic and beginning this week, private sessions. We don't have anything on paper yet, either, but have talked about doing so. One of the ideas we've thrown around is to eventually have me or the other assistant trainer teach our own classes, but with the head trainer screening the clients and filling the classes and taking a cut of the fee-- basically contracting us for her, OR us contracting to use her facility.

I'm not being paid per se, but I have learned a tremendous amount and we are approaching it as an apprenticeship really-- now that it's been a year, we are doing self-assessments. We have monthly meetings to discuss any concerns we have, questions about methods or clients, and to bounce around ideas for future classes, projects, and demos.

PBF lurker
Newborn Bully

Postby PBF lurker » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:24 am

At one of the schools I attend, the instructors are contractors and when they teach group classes at the school, it is under the instructor's company and insurance. The instructors get 50% cut of student tuition (paid per X-week course session), and the school gets 50% cut.

In my experience doing other similar type jobs, it makes sense to pay a percentage of the income, rather than per hour. That way it is to the benefit of both parties to fill classes appropriately, and no one gets screwed (or both are equally screwed) when class sizes are overly small.

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:27 am

Due to space issues, I try to keep classes at 3 - 5 dogs. I would still be head trainer, still teach many courses, this would just open us up to being able to offer more class days without taking away from my other duties. I write the class curriculum and would be responsible for training the new teacher to that curriculum. The new teacher would probably just come in for classes and not have additional responsibilities at the shelter, but that's not fully decided yet.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:04 am

We've worked for a couple of places where we teach a specialty class.

Our cut is usually 50%. The organization handles enrollment and payment and then we get a check.

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:10 pm

At PetSmart we get paid per dog. There are different levels based on how long you've been with the company as well as roll over rate, etc. As a level three trainer I get 25% of the amount the dog paid for the class for the entirety of the 6 week course.

furever_pit
Adolescent Bully

Postby furever_pit » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:33 am

I have been paid an annual salary for dog training previously.
But for your situation, I think that a percentage of what each dog pays for the class is probably appropriate for the new trainer.

Return to “Training and Behavior”