puppy's schedule?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
kathak
Newborn Bully

puppy's schedule?

Postby kathak » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:22 pm

I am running into a little problem with our little Bella Boo right now.
For the first few weeks when we got her she would sleep through the night and either she would wake me up around 5 -5:30 or I would get up and take her out, feed her, put her back in the crate and then my bf would take her out again before he leaves to work. She usually falls asleep on the sofa around 9:30-10 and goes into her crate between 11 and 12. She eats dinner at 6:30 and no more water after 9pm. We always take her out just before she goes to bed and of course in between.

The problem now is that she starts crying at 3pm in the morning. I always take her out because I don't want her to go in her crate. But then I would have to feed her at like 3:15-3:30 in the morning. Should I just let her cry and ignore it? Or take her out and don't feed her? (she usually goes bonkers in her crate if I do that) I would like her to get used to the fact that she has to wait till 5am at least.

Any ideas?

AllisonPitbullLvr

Re: puppy's schedule?

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:58 pm

Can you just give her a few kibbles to keep things positive when you put her back and then feed breakfast later?

kathak
Newborn Bully

Postby kathak » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:31 pm

not sure if that would work, but I will give it a try!

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:40 pm

Also I'd suggest paying attention to the time and try to start lengthening the amount of time you wait to let her out. So for instance if she starts crying right at 3, wait until 3:10 to let her out. The. The next time if she cries at 3:10 wait until 3:20 to let her out. Obviously this would only work in an ideal world were every time she wakes up later that usual...but maybe as a guideline it could work???
However, the (possible) flip side to that is your dog starts realizing it takes about 10 minutes to be let out of the crate so she starts crying about 10 minutes before she actually wants out.

I don't know if that helps any, but even if it doesn't work hopefully it'll spark some ideas for you.

kathak
Newborn Bully

Postby kathak » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:40 am

Today she woke me up at 3:20. Now I think I realized why she gets up so early and wants to get out.
Today, when I let her out, she did not head for the door, the water bowl or anything else but the sofa. She got on the sofa, got comfy on her blanket and that was it. Now I am wondering if she is uncomfortable in her kennel? Or is she just spoiled? lol

kathak
Newborn Bully

Postby kathak » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:42 am

I changed her blanket in her crate today with an actual doggy bed. And Bella slept till 5:30! She actually woke up because I droped my ipad when I turned of my alarm. :yipee:
Now I am just hoping it wasnt a one time thing lol

amalie79
Newborn Bully

Postby amalie79 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:35 pm

Hopefully that works from now on!

I'd be careful about letting her out when she's crying-- that can be a hard habit to break, a habit that they will use when they want out for other reasons. I take mine out for one last potty trip around 11 or so, but I don't ever restrict water. I also don't crate at night, anymore; mine sleep in the bed. But they are confined to the bedroom, so they still aren't allowed free roaming.

I would also be very carefully about letting her cry for 10 minutes then letting her out-- if she's still crying after 10 minutes. Rather than teaching her crying doesn't make you come instantly, that is likely to backfire and teach her that she just has to bark or whine for a really long time before you come, and then she has to bark even longer, and even longer, making that behavior even more ingrained and harder to break.

Hopefully, though, she just wanted something cushy to sleep on. :)

kathak
Newborn Bully

Postby kathak » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:50 pm

I dont like to crate her but we have to crate her because of the cat. I don't trust either of them to be alone during the night. 8)

But yeah I am hoping she just wanted something more comfy lol

amalie79
Newborn Bully

Postby amalie79 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:52 pm

kathak wrote:I dont like to crate her but we have to crate her because of the cat. I don't trust either of them to be alone during the night. 8)

This is why our bedroom door is almost always shut. :)

kathak
Newborn Bully

Postby kathak » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:01 am

So after a few days ... it seems like our dog has a sensitive back lol
She does not like to sleep on the blanket but she will sleep on her doggy bed when its in her crate.
So now she sleeps until my alarm goes off :yipee:

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:26 am

kathak wrote:So now she sleeps until my alarm goes off :yipee:

Awesome news! Isn't it funny how they're so much like babies?

kathak
Newborn Bully

Postby kathak » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:51 pm

Yeah haha

Return to “Training and Behavior”