Vibration Collar

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Vibration Collar

Postby MissKitty » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:45 pm

I finally broke down and bought a vibration collar for Apollo.

And it is one of the best investments I have made!

I am using it as a marker (to replace a clicker) and already Apollo's training has progressed leaps and bounds.

We were having trouble when it came to shaping behaviors while he was looking away and the vibration collar has completely eliminated those problems.

I keep meaning to make a little video of us using it!

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Re: Vibration Collar

Postby Stormi » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:46 am

MissKitty wrote:
I keep meaning to make a little video of us using it!

Yes, please :)

Shearaha1
Newborn Bully

Postby Shearaha1 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:26 pm

Can't wait for the video. I've been really interested in vibration collars.

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:14 am

Shearaha1 wrote:Can't wait for the video. I've been really interested in vibration collars.

X2.

What brand of collar did you purchase?

I wouldn't use one with V. just because of her fear issues and general "twitchiness" lol; but I definitely have an interest in learning more about humanely used electric collars for the future.

MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby MissKitty » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:32 am

I will get some videos posted up tomorrow!

Jazzy wrote:
What brand of collar did you purchase?

I bought PetSafe VT-1. It is a very cheap collar but I wanted to test a vibration only collar out without committing $200+.

Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:44 am

Cool; I didn't know they made vibration only...I thought it was always a package deal.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:11 pm

There are a few vibration only collars on the market. Deafdogs.org even has a how-to guide on how to make your own with a remote control hot wheels car.

It should be noted for those who are not aware, the usage of a vibration collar is not to be confused with shock or a shock collar on vibration setting. This is not a punishment. The vibration is paired with a food reward and is used in the same way that a clicker or behavior marker word is. It is a way to convey to the dog (especially deaf dogs) the moment they performed a desired behavior. The vibration should be gentle and not cause discomfort. Again, this tool is not used as a form of punishment or keeping the dog in control.

MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby MissKitty » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:49 pm

Stormi wrote:There are a few vibration only collars on the market. Deafdogs.org even has a how-to guide on how to make your own with a remote control hot wheels car.

It should be noted for those who are not aware, the usage of a vibration collar is not to be confused with shock or a shock collar on vibration setting. This is not a punishment. The vibration is paired with a food reward and is used in the same way that a clicker or behavior marker word is. It is a way to convey to the dog (especially deaf dogs) the moment they performed a desired behavior. The vibration should be gentle and not cause discomfort. Again, this tool is not used as a form of punishment or keeping the dog in control.

:goodpost:

Stormi is completely correct, while you CAN use a vibration as a punishment/correction on higher levels (that was what this vibration only collar was sold to me as), I am only using it on the first level (out of 15) and paired it rewards to create a 'clicker'.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:52 pm

Stormi wrote:There are a few vibration only collars on the market. Deafdogs.org even has a how-to guide on how to make your own with a remote control hot wheels car.

:goodpost:

Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:38 pm

So just to clarify...if you buy a shock collar w/ a vibration setting...that vibration setting is stronger than if you buy a vibration only collar? And is it the vibration only collar or the shock collar that allows you to set the strength of the vibration? Could a shock collar set to vibrate be used the same way you are describing as a marker vs punishment; or is the level of the vibration set so strong as to be aversive?

Novy
Newborn Bully

Postby Novy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:00 am

Jazzy wrote:

So just to clarify...if you buy a shock collar w/ a vibration setting...that vibration setting is stronger than if you buy a vibration only collar? And is it the vibration only collar or the shock collar that allows you to set the strength of the vibration? Could a shock collar set to vibrate be used the same way you are describing as a marker vs punishment; or is the level of the vibration set so strong as to be aversive?

This is something that may vary by brand. I bought the dogtra ncp1900 (iirc), the shocking feature adjusts but the vibration stays constant. I expected that they would both be adjustable and planned to either disable the shock button or put plastic blank plugs in place of the contacts, but since the vibration can be used with the shock set to 0 I just left it intact since there's no concern to shock.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:43 pm

Jazzy wrote:

As mentioned by previous poster, the vibration itself likely varies from brand to brand. To clarify, my post was to illustrate the point that training with vibration is not to be confused with using electronic collars for punishment (even if they're "just on vibration") due to another recent post. Me personally, if I were to purchase a vibration collar I would want one that was vibration only (or with the shock disabled) so there was no chance of accidentally shocking the dog. And you're right, for some even the vibration is enough to be aversive. I have worked with deaf dogs that shut down with a vibration collar, so we opted not to use it at all. The collar should not illicit a stress response from the dog and is to be conditioned with a primary reinforcer (most often food rewards) and "charged" just like a clicker. And just as with dogs who have an aversion to the clicker, dogs who have an aversion to the collar should either be re-introduced to it properly, or have another method (such as a hand signal marker) used instead.

Bottom line is this is positive reinforcement, not positive punishment :)

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:50 pm

Jazzy wrote:

As mentioned by previous poster, the vibration itself likely varies from brand to brand. To clarify, my post was to illustrate the point that training with vibration is not to be confused with using electronic collars for punishment (even if they're "just on vibration") due to another recent post. Me personally, if I were to purchase a vibration collar I would want one that was vibration only (or with the shock disabled) so there was no chance of accidentally shocking the dog. And you're right, for some even the vibration is enough to be aversive. I have worked with deaf dogs that shut down with a vibration collar, so we opted not to use it at all. The collar should not illicit a stress response from the dog and is to be conditioned with a primary reinforcer (most often food rewards) and "charged" just like a clicker. And just as with dogs who have an aversion to the clicker, dogs who have an aversion to the collar should either be re-introduced to it properly, or have another method (such as a hand signal marker) used instead.

Bottom line is this is positive reinforcement, not positive punishment :)

randomroads
Matured Bully

Postby randomroads » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:25 am

I've always thought that using a vibrating collar on a deaf dog to get his attention on you was the only way to use one. I NEVER thought about using one as a marker for a reward! That's really cool, and will definitely help me make a choice if I'm ever in a position where a deaf dog needs a home.

Novy
Newborn Bully

Postby Novy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:24 am

It's too bad it is such a limited market, if there was a waterproof vibration only collar that offered multiple pre-programmed sequences I would be all over that. Something like what the iphones are capable of now with iOS6. I think that would be really useful when using it for multiple purposes (recall, clicker, and other communication for activities like cani-cross type stuff).

Return to “Training and Behavior”