Deer Shed Dog Training

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Deer Shed Dog Training

Postby UnconventionalLove » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:44 pm

I was wondering if anyone has done any deer shed dog training and what they might be able to tell me. I live in Montana and would love to take Lars out and give him a job that could even make us a little money on the side haha. I've looked into it a little and plan to do more research but in the meantime I thought I would ask you guys :)
My plan right now is to buy some antler scent and apply it to an antler and make it really easy to begin with (he already knows "find it" where I drag and hide an item out of sight and he searches it out) and just make it a fun positive game and hopefully he will get the hang of it from there and find them on hikes and whatnot.

MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Deer Shed Dog Training

Postby MissKitty » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:26 am

I have thought about trying this! So I would be interested to see people's replies.

I am taking a truffle hunting class with Apollo and I am hoping that truffle hunting and antler hunting share some of the same training :)

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:46 pm

Also very interested in this. 8)

UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby UnconventionalLove » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:11 pm

Well at least I am not alone!
There are 2 videos that are interesting at the bottom of this page: http://www.dokkensoakridgekennels.com/s ... aining.htm

jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jtalt7 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:49 pm

Kal does this and not because of any training I have done :). She is an antler freak and always gets and finds sheds on my dad's deer property. I have done nosework with her before but nothing serious and she wasnt very good at it.

randomroads
Matured Bully

Postby randomroads » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:17 am

I imagine it can't be very difficult. You teach the dog to target a certain scent and then build the desire to find that scent until they're working a large radius around you. Time consuming, but not difficult. If I lived in an area where deer sheds were plentiful, I'd consider doing it myself.

Return to “Training and Behavior”