Training Scholarships...any opinions?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Training Scholarships...any opinions?

Postby MarMar » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:57 pm

So this Christmas I actually have a little bit more money than I normally do...aside from getting nice gifts for friends I starting thinking about how I could donate some money to a good cause. Of course I always think of dog related causes and I started to wonder if there was a way I could donate to help people get good training for their dogs.

Anyways, before we moved, I had an awesome friend/trainer who runs a great reactive dog class:
http://bad-dogs-gone-good.com/dog-train ... g-classes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(and yes, that's my Marlo!)

I started to think maybe a good idea would be to have a sort of scholarship for people with reactive/fearful dogs who needed a bit of help to get access to/afford quality behavioral help. So they could apply for funding to attend this reactive dog class (Sarah already takes a lot of foster dogs for free, so this would be specifically for people who already own rescued dogs).

Anyone have any thoughts on something like this or have seen a program like this? (I think that Nosework maybe has a program similar to this to fund dogs to participate but I'm not sure).

MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Training Scholarships...any opinions?

Postby MissKitty » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:17 pm

Wow. That is incredibly generous of you. I have not heard of anything like that but I think it is a wonderful idea!

Nosework does have a scholarship for dogs who are blind, old and/or mobility impaired. One of my classmates (with a blind dog) applied and received it.

http://swparks.org/pdfs/Emily_Nosework_Scholarship.pdf

MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby MarMar » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:56 pm

Thanks MissKitty, that's exactly the one I was thinking of! Unfortunately I'm not as rich as I'd like to be :tongue: so I can only start off a scholarship type thing, and my hope is that other people would be able to/want to donate also. With the nosework prize, do you know if it is totally privately funded by one person? Maybe I'll email them and ask how they run it.

MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby MissKitty » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:27 pm

MarMar wrote:Thanks MissKitty, that's exactly the one I was thinking of! Unfortunately I'm not as rich as I'd like to be :tongue: so I can only start off a scholarship type thing, and my hope is that other people would be able to/want to donate also. With the nosework prize, do you know if it is totally privately funded by one person? Maybe I'll email them and ask how they run it.

I am not positive but I am pretty sure it is funded only by person who started it (a vet) and she only gets a few applications a year. She is very nice, we have talked via email and she responds very quickly so it is worth looking into!

I don't have any tips on where to go with your idea but it would be something I would be willing to donate too as well!!

Bambina23
Newborn Bully

Postby Bambina23 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:51 pm

That's a great idea! Way to go!! :peace:

MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby MarMar » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:42 pm

Thanks! So I've spoken to an accountant friend and it looks like to be on the up and up I'd have to apply for not-for-profit status. It's going to be complicated but I'm giving it a try :) I'll keep everyone posted. Also it needs a name...something to do with Marlo ;)

<3myBoogie
Newborn Bully

Postby <3myBoogie » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:59 am

Wow. That sounds like a fabulous idea! Maybe you'd start a trend and more and more people would catch on to it.

MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby MarMar » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:27 pm

Okay peoples, it is officially The Marlo Trust. We are going to try to collect donations for this Christmas. The first recipient will be chosen in the new year to attend a set of Reactive Dog classes. I have a facebook page and website I'm working on (blerg exams are getting in the way). Marlo's gotcha day is in February so I want to make that the Official Launch Date. The website will also be a collection of resources (recommended books, videos, blogs, websites) to help people with reactive dogs collect information, as well as assisting people in being able to screen trainers (because of the vast number of useless or scary ones out there) because I really think everyone with a reactive/aggressive dog needs to see a skilled professional.

I will keep you posted on the website/facebook/progress.

Anyone out there have experience at designing logos?

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:10 pm

I think this is awesome! You are awesome!!! I can't help you with the logo stuff, but I can donate some to help out with the scholarships after the new year. Money is tight right now with the holidays and moving.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk

MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby MissKitty » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:18 pm

This is wonderful!

I am a broke college student but always donate a little bit to charity around Christmas time and I would love to make a small donation.

Return to “Training and Behavior”