concerning behavior?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
spazgurl26
Newborn Bully

concerning behavior?

Postby spazgurl26 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:56 pm

My dog Mya has become more my dog then anyone else. But I've noticed some changes and am wondering why and how to change it. She is always glued to me..follows me to the bathroom, in the bedroom she lays on the bed while I do my makeup or get dressed, when I sit down is right away in my lap or laying at my feet. When I'm not home she's lovey to everyone else but as soon as I walk in forget it..she's glued to me and wants nothing to do with them. She will go up to them if they call her but won't stay long before she's back to me. Tonight my step son called her over to him on the other couch so she went over and got up there. She was there 2 minutes before she was back with me on the other couch. She got out tonight and took off. I called for her and drove around trying to find her. She came home finally while I was out calling for her. She has a cut under her eye and on the top of her head from barbed wire fencing for the neighbor's cows. We're guessing she was chasing something. Now since having the cut on her she's even more clingy. She's acting afraid of my bf and his son. She cowers whenever they come near her. I had a vet checkup on her last month and everything was good. I'm confused at her behavior. No one has ever been mean to her here...I don't know about at her last home. She never cowered or acted this way before. She was clingy since I got her as I do 90% of her care. Should I discourage her clingyness? I read that pits tend to bond with one person close but still are family dogs. My bf is getting frustrated with her clinging. He doesn't think it's right that she has to be with me all the time. I think that she senses that. She loves attention but her eyes are always on me no matter what. If my bf hugs or kisses me she will come running and stand and watch. We took her to a friend's house and she was at my feet except when someone would call her over to them but she would come back again after a bit. I am just confused on this and would like some insight.

MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: concerning behavior?

Postby MarMar » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:30 pm

It's hard to say for sure but it sounds like she may be insecure and using you for comfort. Whatever happened to her when she was loose was probably stressful and increased her dependence on you. My boy is quite clingy as well and I have had to make a real effort to teach him to be ok hanging out on his own. The first thing you could try is having her alone in her crate or in a room while she eats. That way she's away from you but has something nice like food. And not in a bowl, in some sort of food toy.

Other than that I would recommend working with a trainer/behaviorist. Where do you live? It can be tricky to find a quality/qualified person to help but there are a few professional trainers on this board who could help you weed through them. (I am not a professional trainer but I am very very picky at choosing a trainer so I would love to help also).

spazgurl26
Newborn Bully

Postby spazgurl26 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:05 pm

She is alone at different times. She doesn't cry or whine when left alone. She is just a stick tight when loose in the house with me. She glues herself wherever I am. And no one else is good enough. I am located in Wisconsin. There are a few in the Eau Claire area. How do i know when a trainer is reputable?

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:18 pm

A couple questions for more background:
Who feeds her meals?
Who walks her?
Who plays with her?
Who trains her?
Who grooms her?
Who takes her places?

... If the answer to 4 or more of the above is "me", then there is the reason she is so attached to you. Dogs are opportunistic, meaning (in this case) she is going to stay closest to the person that has a proven record of doing the most things with her.

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:29 pm

It's not necessarily a bad thing. Vi is totally "my" dog, she is my little shadow even though she is also a social butterfly at events or in public. IMO, as long as the dog doesn't freak out or show signs of separation anxiety I personally wouldn't be concerned. If he wants her to have more of an attachment to him, he needs to take over the majority of her care and training, or the two of you need to split it more evenly (for every walk you take her on, he needs to take her for one too... etc).

spazgurl26
Newborn Bully

Postby spazgurl26 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:19 pm

The answer to all of them is me. He will feed her occassionally if I'm running late getting home from work. Sometimes he'll toss her a treat. His son plays with her now and then. She is told more so by them to go lay down as they dont' want her bugging them. She is fine left alone..no crying or anything. It's just when she's inside she's always following me. I would like for them to take over some but I know they won't. They really have no interest in her except for a few moments here and there when they "feel" like it.

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:57 pm

I personally wouldn't be worried about a thing. She sounds social and does like people, she just likes you best. Totally normal.

I have an entire troop of dogs and cats that follow me from room to room. I seriously can't remember the last time I was able to take a bath by myself lol.

kathak
Newborn Bully

Postby kathak » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:43 pm

My bf and I take both care of the dog. But I do more with her. I take her out to class every Saturday (my bf is with us every other sat) I feed her most of the time and even hand fed her on the beginning. I feed her every morning and I train her the most at home.
She loves of course me and my boyfriend, but she is more attached to me. She even listens better to me then to him lol
Bella is still a baby , well almost teenager, but she loves other people but she likes to hang out around me ... except for when I drop her off at the doggy daycare lol

Return to “Training and Behavior”