Fear Aggression Help

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Besonbully
Newborn Bully

Fear Aggression Help

Postby Besonbully » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi there, my dog is a 3 year old rescue who came to us at around 8 months from an abusive situation. He has been fearful from the moment we got him. He's scared of a lot of things and mostly things that are new to him. We lived in the city for the first year of his life and there was a lot going on. Despite a little bit of his aggression I was able to socialize him to a point where he accepted everything and everyone except a few small yappie dogs.

Living in the city was much easier and his fear aggression around strangers was limited to some growling and backing off. After the year we moved to the suburbs and the exposure he needed daily was no longer there and after awhile he reverted back to all his old habits(understandable).

This year we had to move again but now we are in an area where there is much more going and it is a fantastic place where its pretty much occupied by dog lovers and people accepting of all types and breeds of dog. What I'm asking is a little guidance to get him back to where he was, now that I have all these options and resources.

His triggers are again yappie dogs and dogs who are very very hyper. It seems as though as hes not sure why being overly excited. Because of our lack of socialization over the last year or so im only slowly introducing him to new dogs. So far theres a little dog and a bigger who he has no issue with. When they are together my dog just ignores them and they all just run around. He doesn't feel threatened. In the city I was able to get him to a point where he can handle all these dogs. I'd like to get him back there. He shakes when he gets sniffed and is doing the sniffing. I can see the fear in his posture as well.

Secondly and lastly he has a very hard time with strangers approaching him. People seem to think either crouching down to his eye sight or putting their hand in his face for him to smell are the best approaches. Unfortunately they seem to be his biggest triggers. He has growled then nipped the hand of a couple people and then backed off crouching and looking terrified. What has worked is when I tell people to ignore him for some time to allow him to build comfort level with them which he ALWAYS does. After this time he is to them as he is with me. Its a slow progression. I would really like to be given a plan or some steps that I can take for him to over come his fear of being approached and some methods in which to properly get him aquainted with new dogs and even those that are a little more hyper.

THANKS!

Red
Addicted to PBF

Re: Fear Aggression Help

Postby Red » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:55 pm

Besonbully wrote:Secondly and lastly he has a very hard time with strangers approaching him. People seem to think either crouching down to his eye sight or putting their hand in his face for him to smell are the best approaches. Unfortunately they seem to be his biggest triggers. He has growled then nipped the hand of a couple people and then backed off crouching and looking terrified.

Can I ask why strangers are allowed to approach your dog that way? You know that it is not productive and stressful for the animal, and you need to step in to protect him and prevent the situation from escalating. Every single episode in which he has to growl, to attempt to defend himself from what he perceives as a threat, is a step back. Unless I am mistaken, you mentioned some problems before, have you looked for someone to help you and the dog in person? Where are you located now?

Besonbully
Newborn Bully

Re: Fear Aggression Help

Postby Besonbully » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:40 am

Doesn't happen every time. Once is enough understandably. It seems to only happen to those that approach him with fear of their own and approach him directly. It may have happened twice in the last month.

I am overseas. When I was in NA I had him see a couple "trainers" but nothing of any substance.

My job allows me to spend quite a bit of time with him so I would like to take the appropriate steps to make him better. At one point in his life he was perfect so I don't so why I wouldn't be able to get him back there.

I'm aware of the fact that when something happens we take steps back, hence why I'm here.

Return to “Training and Behavior”