Resource Sharing?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Nanci
Newborn Bully

Resource Sharing?

Postby Nanci » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:35 am

I've heard of resource guarding; is there such a thing as resource sharing?

Bella is the six year old first dog. She had a leg amputation just over a week ago, and wound revision surgery just last Thursday.

Ella is the one year old newly adopted dog, who has been here since Thanksgiving weekend. The girls were introduced very slowly and cautiously, and because of Bella's surgery, have not been given free rein to play and go wild, although they play laying down. They are getting along well and there has never been one single sign of discomfort or aggression from either party.

Ella has started carrying her toys up to Bella. I am cautious about letting them start a tug of war, because, I don't really know why. I just don't want it to escalate out of my control, although there hasn't been any sign that it would. I'm just protective of Bella. Right now, with Bella's healing amputation and being somewhat off balance, they are only allowed to play if they are both laying down, which they _really_ enjoy.

My question is- is this normal dog behaviour, and Ella has friendly intentions by bringing her toys to Bella? An invitation to play? Should I encourage or discourage this? So far, Bella hasn't figured out how to respond.

And, I guess as a side question, do the toys need to stay separate- Bella has hers and Ella has hers, do they care, or can they each choose from a common supply?

Thanks!

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Re: Resource Sharing?

Postby mtlu » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:49 pm

Some dogs can share toys. Molly used to have playdates with a GSP and they would bring sticks to each other and chew on the same stick. Sometimes, if they got tired of fetch (they would both chase after the same rope toy), they would lay down side by side and chew on the same rope together.

Molly has also spends time at a friend's house with a dog that does have resource guarding issues and I "sweep" the house to pick up all toys when we arrive. Only one dog is allowed in the kitchen at a time. Their dog is better now about toys but food guarding is still a big issue.

I think even with dogs who can freely share toys, context is important and I would not allow unsupervised time with anything high value laying around.

Nanci
Newborn Bully

Postby Nanci » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:47 pm

I don't think they have anything either one considers high value.

Today Ella got a rope toy out of her crate and brought it to Bella in her bed and plopped it down as if saying- let's play tug of war! And Bella Bella gladly complied. They are so cute together. I'm still not letting them get too wild, since Bella just had her wound revised on Thursday. Still, even the couple times Ella knocked into her pretty hard and bowled her over, Bella just seemed to think that was part of the fun. I am keeping a VERY close eye on them, but neither one seems to be going overboard.

I'm wondering when the cute part where they curl up together and sleep starts! All they do is wrestle :-)

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:10 am

Nanci wrote:I don't think they have anything either one considers high value.

The value is probably in the interaction the toy brings, not the toy itself. Appropriate play is highly enriching for dogs and should be allowed as long as there are rules in place, that both dogs follow.Continuing to keep an eye on things, like you have been doing, is wise. Sometime things change down the road.Did you happen to take a video of their interaction?

Return to “Training and Behavior”