Peeing on us

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
DakotaMidnight
Newborn Bully

Peeing on us

Postby DakotaMidnight » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:35 pm

I have owned and trained many dogs and have never had one pee on me before :wow
Our 14 month old Amstaff just in the last 3 weeks has peed on 3 people! myself,my hubby and my soninlaw and in the kitchen floor where my hubby was sitting on the counter.I was outside helping hubby hang Christmas lights when Dakota just walked up and peed on my leg.My hubby was talking to a guy over the fence when Dakota just walked up and peed on his leg(hubbys) my soninlaw was peeing in the yard(I know redneck) when Dakota walked up and peed with him peeing on his foot!! My husband was sitting on the kitchen counter talking to my mom and Dakota walked up and cocked his leg peeing on the counter where hubby sat!! Dakota is house trained fully and has not peed in the house on purpose or even by mistake since he was a pup.Why all of a sudden is he feeling the need to mark us? ( if it matters,he has not peed on my son)

Thanks for any input.

Amie

Re: Peeing on us

Postby Amie » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:53 pm

Since this is a behavior change, has he been to a vet?

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:17 am

Urine marking in the intact, maturing male dog! If he's intact, this is completely normal and natural (and, yes, unpleasant). Dogs don't think of pee as something nasty. For them, this is all about communication and social cohesion. But you can train them not to pee on you or inside.

Here's a good article from the ASPCA about medical issues to check, the meanings of marking (ie, why young males mark with their urine--it is NOT about dominance), and training approaches to encourage him to pee in places where you want pee, and not to pee on you.

http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/virtual-p ... ng-in-dogs

Good luck. Don't get angry, since social tensions can often increase the anxiety and the behavior.

DakotaMidnight
Newborn Bully

Postby DakotaMidnight » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:06 am

Thank you for the repiles and article,I am wondering if it would fall under anxiety marking? each time he has done this has been when out of the ordinary situations have occured...
He actually goes to see the vet next week for his 3 year rabie vaccine.We will mention it to her and see what she has to say.

Return to “Training and Behavior”