11 Month Pup Who Jumps Up and Bites

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
CallSignOWL
Adolescent Bully

Re: 11 Month Pup Who Jumps Up and Bites

Postby CallSignOWL » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:28 pm

dunno about the jumping part, but dog parks arent really the pest places to take your dog. Not only do you have to worry about rude dogs and inattentive owners, but the parks can also be a breeding ground for all kinds of nastiness. Plus, some APBTs and their mixes can be dog aggressive or dog reactive and even if they are not, your dog will most likely be blamed if there ever was a scuffle.

CallSignOWL
Adolescent Bully

Postby CallSignOWL » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:53 pm

liz156 wrote:Thanks, but I've never had a problem taking him to the dog park. He isn't dog aggressive at all, pretty much the opposite. He needs to get that playtime with other dogs.

why does he need playtime with other dogs?

CallSignOWL
Adolescent Bully

Postby CallSignOWL » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:01 pm

just be careful. Just because he likes other dogs no does not mean he will always like them. As he matures DA could emerge. Be prepared to manage that, and understand that your dog does not need doggy-friends. He need you. And he will be perfectly happy with only you.

Novy
Newborn Bully

Postby Novy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:11 pm

Mine does the same thing, it is her idea of playing just like rough-housing with other dogs. She's getting much better as time goes on. The biting was never really bad (IMO), but I've been trying to get her to tone down her play with people. Try redirecting him before the behaviour starts with an activity of interest. I've had good luck with tug of war and toss/keep away, something that involves interaction and gets the playtime out of the system. The second he bites tell him stop and cut off the interaction until he calms down.

I still wrestle with Iris a bit as long and she doesn't cross the line. Usually she will just grab and my gloves now. The second she gets too rough I give her the hand signal to stop (she's deaf - I use "leave it" and then "stay" signs), she stops immediately. Getting her to shake a paw and then giving her a treat after she stops has probably helped with progress the most, she snaps right out of play mode and then it's business as usual.

sickmonkey
Newborn Bully

Postby sickmonkey » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:55 pm

liz156 wrote:Because he's a puppy, he enjoys it, and it's good exercise.

If I were you I would look for some regular playmates he can hang out with in a controlled environment. At a dog park you have no idea what kind of dogs are going to be there, if they're going to be friendly, or if they might have some kind of contagious disease. Even if he's not dog aggressive now, he might get there, or he might get attacked and become dog aggressive as a result. Better to find a few people with a few dogs you feel comfortable with and meet in somebody's backyard.

As far as the biting goes, it sounds to me like he is just trying to play, but he doesn't know how to do it in a way that is acceptable to you. it will probably help to teach him exactly how to play. Instead of telling him no, give him something else to do. Have him sit, lie down, roll over, whatever, and give him a big reward the moment he does that instead of chomping on you. You can make a game out of commands and rewards for him to do and enjoy when he gets overexcited.

You can also give him something else to grab onto. If there's a special toy he really loves, take it with you. Teach him a command for taking something and carrying it.

Alternately, you can work on general bite inhibition and/or put the behavior on command. There's a good thread on mouthy puppies you can read here which focuses on teaching the dog to use its mouth gently instead of not at all. Instead of teaching him not to grab you, teach him to do it softly, and only when you tell him to. My dog knows 'take' for objects, and I can also have her 'take' my hand in her mouth. She does it very carefully because she was taught to. Sometimes she mouths my hand or arm when she's excited, but she only does so very softly, like she was taught to. If you can't eliminate the behavior, you can take control of it, and reward him when he does it 'correctly'.

hope that helps

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:40 am

Our Vanya (male pit bull) did the jumping up and grabbing our arms and coats thing a lot when we first adopted him. It was all about over-excitement, but it's not a good habit for any dog, much less a pit bull.

We found Leslie McDevitt's Control Unleashed to be incredibly helpful, since the exercises in the book teach impulse control--exactly what a young dog needs to learn.

With Vanya on walks (when he got most excited and likely to jump and grab), we set up things so he couldn't get what he wanted--attention--when he jumped and grabbed. So I walked him along our fenceline for months, armed with delicious treats. If he started jumping, I dropped the end of his leash over a fencepost and stood just out of his reach and ignored him, so he couldn't get ANY reinforcement by jumping on me. The instant he calmed himself down, I stepped closer, gave him a tiny treat, and praised him and continued the walk if he stayed calm. The instant he got wound up, I'd drop the leash over the post and utterly ignore him until he calmed himself down. He eventually learned that to get what he wanted--attention and walks--he needed to stay calm.

And of course, I would (and continue to) give him lots of praise and treats during the walks when he was being a charming boy. If a pup only gets attention when he misbehaves, he'll keep misbehaving.

Return to “Training and Behavior”