Water Puppy

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
srichmond
Newborn Bully

Water Puppy

Postby srichmond » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:20 pm

Hi everyone,

Its been awhile since I have been in here. my 8 month old Pitbull seems to be quite the water lover which is awesome! We have a pool at our house and considering we live in phoenix where it is hot we tend to spend a lot of time in there. I would say over the last 5 times in the water I noticed Isis jumping in and following me where ever I swim and then trying to grab onto me where ever she could with her mouth and at first I just thought she was playing but last night I realized she is trying to rescue me or save me. She will grab my hand my hair my bathing suit anything she can and she starts swimming towards the stairs with me in tow. She has never been trained for any kind of water rescue. I guess my question is...Is it a natural instinct for a pitbull to rescue in the water like that? I have been home with her since she was 8 weeks old when we found her so she is very loyal to me. She does the same thing to my partner who has worked so isn't at home all day with her. She also does it to my 10 year old son. Which brings me to why it worries me a little. She swims towards him just like she does me but he is small and it is more of a pushes him under while trying to drag him back so how do I teach her that we are ok in the water when we are swimming and we are not in trouble. Does anyone have any insight on this? I have had Pits before and never had this happen, they have all loved the water but never tried to save us. Is there something I should do with this?

Thanks for any thoughts or help

Shay

Return to “Training and Behavior”