How to calm a over exited and playful pit bull puppy

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
jamielvsaustin

Re: How to calm a over exited and playful pit bull puppy

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:41 am

Please stop putting her on her side as a punishment. You're going to have a problem dog, or worse, a fearful dog as she gets older if you keep doing that. For me, I want to be able to manipulate, move and touch my dogs in anyway that I need to (for their safety)...I can't have them thinking that if they're on their side-they're in trouble. We live in Florida and sometimes our dogs get bit by bugs in weird places-I need to be able to look at them, or have the vet look at them without any ill effect.

How often are you training and what is the duration of the session? She's still young-old enough to know some commands but also young enough to only "get" them about 75% of the time. Is it possible for you to tether her to something when you have these sessions? (Coffee table or leg of the couch) That way if she gets amped up or bite-y you can remove yourself from the situation. You don't have to punish her, just simply walk away without a word...when she calms down-go back to what you were doing. Right now she's at a stage where she wants attention and has little to no impulse control. Even you punishing or yelling at her (rolling her on her side, or yanking on the leash) is giving her the attention she wants.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:43 am

There are links and resources in these threads that might interest you-specifically the BAT information.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=157706http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=157440

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:50 pm

Walking away and teaching her that being physical = loss of your attention is exactly the right thing to do!

Anything physical that you do in an attempt to stop her from jumping/biting/rough-housing is just going to reward her. Negative attention is still attention.

If she settles from you walking away, use this. When she is calm and relaxed, try again.

Also, set yourself up for success. Try training when she's in a calmer state of mind, rather than when she's pent up. Keep your commands calm and your voice level. Avoid getting her worked up.

And whenever she chooses to be calm on her own, reward it! Keep a clicker on you and when she goes and lies on her bed at any point during the day, click and treat! When she settles at your feet, click and treat!

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:34 am

check out these videos http://www.youtube.com/user/kikopup

and awesome to hear that you want to do things differently and reaching out for tips

ps picture please :)

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:47 am

jamielvsaustin wrote:There are links and resources in these threads that might interest you-specifically the BAT information.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=157706http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=157440" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry, there should have been two links here for you...here is the second
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=157706

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:24 pm

3 - 4 times a week is not enough.
You should have a training session every single day. I personally try to do it 2x a day. Then again, I really dislike having an untrained/unruly dog in the house, so I try to get past that stage a.s.a.p. lol

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:17 pm

For me it's really helpful to use a training class. Just having the structure and someone to help with the timing of the clicker can be really helpful.

Apbt4life
Matured Bully

Postby Apbt4life » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:41 am

My dog was exactly the same, and alot of pups that i work with are like that because their puppys and they are full of energy, its ok, but now is the time to be diligent and consistent in working with her. I dont know your pup but based on what you have explained what i highly recommend for your pup and not all dogs need this but what i recommend for her is at least 30minutes of exercise prior to training her. Do you take her for long walks? Do you take her to an open park to fetch or run around? Do you play tug with her or other games that will tire her out? does she like swimming? If you answered yes to any of the above questions then you should continue to do that right before you focus on training her. I find most dogs are more attentive and easy to work with once they are at calm level. Use treats or her favorite toy to reward her. I don't want you to exhaust your pup with any of the above activities, but just get her exercised enough to be more calm so you could train her more efficiently. If not you'll find your self trying to train a super lazy tired dog that just wants lay down and will not be focused on you at all...after exercise comes consistent positive reinforcement training. Train her just 15 - 20 min a day after exercise. Or train her twice a day for 10 minutes. You will find she will learn so much faster and be a lot more attentive. A dog with plenty of exercise, training, and love is a happy well behaved dog.. Good luck! :)

Return to “Training and Behavior”