leash reactivate help

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

leash reactivate help

Postby starrlamia » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:40 am

harro pbf friends! I mostly lurk these days but I need some training help.

Basically we moved to an apartment and now walk the dogs a bunch of times everyday. They have developed really bad leash reactivity to dogs (and for brie bicycles). when they are walked seperately they are fine, show interest in other dogs but leave it when asked and carry on. Together they go nuts and do not listen at all. I have no idea why they started now and no idea why it is only when they are together. I got Patricia McConnell's leash reactivity book but just wondering if there are anymore pointers? Im assuming we need to work on it when they are walking together as that is when they display the behaviour.

Frustrated, lol, but there is a lot going on in our lives right now (moved to a new city, new school etc) they were a bit reactive before we moved but not nearly this badly.

thanks friends

Amie

Re: leash reactivate help

Postby Amie » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:42 am

It's really hard to do via the internet. I'd recommend the BAT book or Fiesty Fido, which are different approaches to the same issue, both positive and friendly to your dog.

http://www.amazon.com/Feisty-Fido-Help- ... 1891767070

http://www.amazon.com/Behavior-Adjustme ... BAT+grisha

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:10 pm

thanks Amie :)

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:55 pm

For visual help, Grisha Stewart has a whole YouTube channel. Here's one video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwf53xw ... DDAE027131

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:01 am

Thanks again Amie, sometimes I just need to know I'm on the right path in my thinking and this definitely helps!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Cat24
Adolescent Bully

Postby Cat24 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:45 pm

We have similar issues with our girls, they're great when we walk them by themselves, they show generally appropriate interest in other dogs, and get along with most of the dogs in the area. When we've got them out together it's like a switch has been thrown and they just can't deal with other dogs. Our solution has been walking them separately during the day and then their last walk of the night we do all together because there are rarely a bunch of other dogs out at that time so we can work on manners and decreasing their reactivity in a calmer environment. It works for us mostly because we are rarely home together for their walk times and it's nice to have some one-on-one time with each of them.

Return to “Training and Behavior”