need help...DESPERATE!!!

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
loye
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

need help...DESPERATE!!!

Postby loye » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:17 am

I'm in desperate need of some help, mu husband is on the verge of making me rehome one of my dogs (& I'm starting to lose patience). My dog Reuger (120# St. Bernard mix) has started going ti thr bathroom in the house. I'm thinking seperation anxiety since it started around the time my husband went back to work. We've had Reuger for a year now w/ no problems. He's always been well behaved in the house, now even if he's home alone 30 min, we cone home to piles of poop, urine and destoyed garbage. Tried limiting food/water before i leave...doesn't help. I put him out for about 20 min before i leave, doesn't help. I leave at 220 for work, someone is back at house by 5/6p so he isn't alone for lobg periids. When i put the garbage away, he finds something else to get into. He's started trampling my kids (5yo and 4yo twins). He never used to, now he goes nuts, he actually recently slammed into my knee causing it to bend backwards and injuring my miniscus. He gets walks, exercise and play time, he used to be able to come to work w/ me at the nursing home he was so well behaved. But the hubby has had enough, says it straightens up or he has to go. Need help!!!! (On another note, my my other dog is eating her piop...what can i do for that?)

Shelter_dogs
Newborn Bully

Re: need help...DESPERATE!!!

Postby Shelter_dogs » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:26 pm

I would crate him when you aren't there.

Have you had him to the vet to rule out any medical issues?

Have you consulted with a behaviorist?

Have you considered anti-anxiety medication?

Eating poop - clean it up as soon as she goes so she doesn't have a chance to eat it.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:29 pm

Why keep letting him have free run of the house, if he's not behaving? He needs to be confined to either a large crate or a room. That way, the mess can be contained. If he's in a crate, he might not even go to the bathroom, because he can't get away from it - but some dogs don't care(gross). Most won't pee or poop in a confined space like a crate.

Dogs do get freaked out when a change in routine happens. He may be acting out his frustrations/anxieties. He needs to learn the new schedule. It will take a little bit, but with consistent structure and training, he will get there.

What do you do for exercise with him? How many times a day?

Apbt4life
Matured Bully

Postby Apbt4life » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:59 pm

crate train. and lots and lots of mental and :run: physical stimulation. Good luck

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:30 pm

A trip to the vet is a must. Drastic change in behavior should be followed up with a vet visit ASAP.

loye
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby loye » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:30 pm

He was okayed by the vet. Iwalk him about 30 min a day, we play ball in thr yard and until the lasr wk or so were running (been raining/snowing). I've tried putting in a room, he destroyed the door. Have beendebating getting a crate,but think he would try to chew out, which worries me bc i've seen the outcomes to that. (Worked in a grooming salon and saw a dog get his teeth stuck in the bars.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:14 pm

Maybe try one of those DAP diffusers? Did the vet do any bloodwork? It sounds like an awfully drastic behavior change.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:52 pm

Was he previously always loose and someone home all the time? If so, he has to be gradually trained to being confined. Just as a dog that's never been on a leash or had a collar on, will freak out when forced to wear one.

UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby UnconventionalLove » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:39 pm

It's important to note that if your dog truly does have separation anxiety, crating can intensify the anxiety and make things worse. Try "Don't leave me" by Nicole Wilde and "I'll be home soon" by Patricia McConnell.

Return to “Training and Behavior”