I need guidance with aggressive behavior.

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Po.Verse
Matured Bully

I need guidance with aggressive behavior.

Postby Po.Verse » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:03 pm

This are going to be a long post. And I truly thank anyone and everyone who reads this and responds.

Backstory. We got Alexis when she was 11 weeks old. We lived in a busy neighborhood without a fenced yard. It was me, my fiance, her mom and brother. I taught her NILIF and she was a great dog. She played with dogs, never even barked or gave issues.

Then after about 1-2years. We moved and me and my fiance got a much smaller house, with a smaller but yet fenced yards. Neighbors have dogs, and so do 2 doors down.

She was still fine. Then we decided to adopt another female pit. I know, that was our first mistake, and as much as I know I saved this dogs life, I regret it. They played a few times before we actually brought her home, and they were fine. They were fine for months, then they got in a scuffle when I wasn't home, they got over that. It was over a toy, so we stopped letting toys out. Then it happened over food, so they started being fed apart. Then it got real serious one time and we kept them apart and would not let them outside at the same time. This last time was bad, and it still haunts me. It's been about a year now since that has happened.

They are never out together, They are crate rotated. My one dog sleeps with us, why the other sleeps in the other room in her crate. They are both perfectly fine with out cat.

Alexis (first dog) has started a barking habit, where she will bark at the front door, as well as at the neighbors if they are out. She will not bark at the dogs that she can see two doors down. She will though bark and growl if she hears the nearest dogs next door. She's fine with people, she will sometimes bark at first greet, but otherwise playful and never aggressive. She has since greeted dogs in walks, with no issues. But it still scares me, it's kind of like a scar.

Lila, the second dog. We've known she wasn't fond of dogs soon after we got her, and she made aggressive noises at my father in laws poodles. And it's been worse and worse since then. It's at the point now we wouldn't dare let her around a dog. She has also bitten two of my friends, small flesh wounds, nothing major or overly aggressive. She is fine with a few of my friends. She does semi ignore people when I walk her, but Everytime I walk her, I have the fear of something happening. She's fearful of everything. You could pick a water bottle up and she get scared if it's directed at her. But at the same time, she is the most innocent loving dog I've ever seen. She listens better then Alexis, and is great around the house. I can let her out while I'm on short errands, and she doesn't ruin anything.

We did take Lila for training last summer, but the trainer feared her in herself, he wouldn't get in 5 feet of her. And that was not a healthy training in my mind. So we ended that. I'm thinking about getting a trainer for both of them. Yes, I know the aggression will never fully be gone and can never fully be trusted. But I just want her to be calmer, and maybe be able to control lilas reactions. Make her less fearful, which is where I feel her aggression comes from. She will fence run at anything and anyone. You can hold her at the back door, and try and calm her, and she starts heavy breathing like she's having an asthma attack. I feel training will just make her feel safer, and maybe correct some of both of there reactions.

I don't care what I have to do, I just want to take some of the stress away. It stresses me day in and day out with them. I feel horrible they have to be rotated, and I feel horrible that Lila feels and stresses the way she does. I know as well, some of this is lack of exercise, but it's hard when one of them are aggressive, so walking is dangerous in itself. And with work, and then by the time there both rotated, it feels they were not out enough.

I take full blame for this, I'm not blaming this on them, or anyone in lilas past. And I have no intention of getting rid of any of them, they are my soul, I love them both to death. I just want to take a little stress off of all our shoulders.

Amie

Re: I need guidance with aggressive behavior.

Postby Amie » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:33 pm

You need an expert, and not one who will be scared of or punish your dogs!

These two websites are good starting points for trainers:
http://www.petprofessionalguild.com/PetGuildMembers
http://iaabc.org/consultants

Ali Brown is good, and specializes in reactivity.

Po.Verse
Matured Bully

Postby Po.Verse » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:24 pm

Ill email them. Thank you.

Im just very keen on not setting her up to fail. I just want some of the stress to leave,.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:15 pm

~hugs~

Part of what's happening is normal. Completely normal for the breed. So please don't feel bad about that. Sometimes it can be difficult to exercise them properly but you've just got to get creative. Are there any gated areas you can bring them too at off peak times? A friend of mine brings her two dogs to a playground area during school hours so that no one is there but her. This play ground has a good size grassy field. I've also known people to use tennis courts for this. (maybe basketball courts too?) Got any friends with a decent plot of land? Are you familiar with a flirt pole? If not-they're really easy to make (and...ahem...I know a guy) Also, brain work is just as important as body work. Work their minds with WTE toys, tricks, obedience...whatever you can think of that makes them have to use logic to figure things out. (an easy WTE toy is a muffin tin with food in the spaces with tennis balls on top)

When we walk our dogs around our neighborhood we also bring doggy mace with us. There are a lot of irresponsible owners that let their dogs wander. For at least one of my dogs (we have two) it's much better for the stranger dog to get maced, than for my dog to get a hold of it. He is very clear in his dislike for other dogs so when we're out walking no one asks if their dog can meet ours. Our girl Bailey, if she's walked by herself (and not with Trooper our other dog) she seems like she would be dog friendly-but we know that she is not-so if someone asks for their dog to meet her-we say no right away. Both dogs are so people friendly that they're kinda slutty. A lot of the old ladies in our neighborhood really like to love on them. We're cautious around kids (we don't have any of our own...and I don't trust those little suckers!)

The only thing in your post that really worries me is Lila biting two people. Even if it's fear aggression...that's kinda scary. It's a big deal. Basically she's learned that when she gives warning signals (telling people that she's scared) no one will listen to her so she has to step it up to a bite/nip. In the future, she'll likely use that as her "go to" if it's not addressed pretty quickly.

It's very serious when a PB type dog bites because of the stigma that goes along with the breed. Also it's not an acceptable trait in the breed. My guess is, she's either a mix or not a dog from well bred lines. Nothing wrong with that, a lot of the members here have dogs from unknown lineages...but it makes behavioral problems, sometimes, a little more difficult to deal with. There are a lot of people who believe if a PB type dog bites and/or goes after people it needs to be euthanized. In some cases I agree...in others I think the dogs simply need better handling. I hope that's the case in your situation.

A lady I know just had to put down her daughter's service dog because it went after a neighbor's little boy. The dog never made contact, but it had intent. The parents of the little boy were completely oblivious to the situation-figured the boy was taunting the dog. But the owner of the dog saw the whole situation and said that for about a month prior the dog's behavior had changed (I believe he was around the age where he just finished maturing). It's sad, but it happens sometimes. These dogs are extremely over bred. There's no doubt that sometimes the genetics are going to get messed up.

I hope the information that Amie provided is helpful for you and I hope you get this all figured out. Best of luck.

Po.Verse
Matured Bully

Postby Po.Verse » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:04 pm

Ill talk to the other half about the mase. It would be the same for Lila, Im not so worried about her, its other dogs. Our area is hard because its city based, but not like center big city based. But I will look into areas like that. With alexis, I trust her, especially now that she has been away from Lila for so long. I am going to start working her into seeing ONE of my father in laws dogs. I have wanted a flirt pole, but with all my neighbors being connected, I feel as if that is going to make them seem like there "aggressive" by playing with one of them. I know it sounds stupid to pit owners, but outside that, may look off.

Both incidents with Lila nipping people is with people walking into our house, with there hand out, and she nipped them, then the switch goes off in her head. I don't mind having to maybe put her away from some people,. but again, that is reactive training, that could help that.

I believe to Lila is mixed, she's a little more bulky, and has bigger ears compared to Alexis, who is full bred blood through and through APBT. I have alexis bloodline way back.

I won't put her down, Id rather have her sheltered in my house living a life safe within our family, rather then none. She's an AMAZING dog for us, and is so loveable. We will see what happens with the reactive training.

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:23 am

If Ali can't help you, I think I can find a few more names, but start here: http://www.amazon.com/Scaredy-Understan ... 0976641402
(yes, same Ali Brown)

Graham
Newborn Bully

Postby Graham » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:29 am

I'm sorry to hear that you are going through this. I am struggling with a dog aggression problem with my dog. She is a single dog in the home. When we go on walks, if she sees another dog, she goes nuts. Her behavior is extreme. 2 dog trainers told me that she was the worst they have ever worked with (lucky me). The dog trainers told me that I should bring her back to the shelter.

I personally don't believe in putting a dog down. Dogs are instinctual and there is something that is causing your dog to behave the way they do. It is most likely a combination of the situation, the environment, and you.

I would recommend looking for an Animal Behaviorist, not a trainer. You can not successfully treat a problem unless you know what is causing it.

Hope your doggies get the help they need!

Return to “Training and Behavior”