Fear of men

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Tigerbeck
Adolescent Bully

Fear of men

Postby Tigerbeck » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:12 pm

Hello,

I have a new dog who I adopted from the Humane Society that is about a year old. I don't know her past and she is generally a little timid. She is also a mix and I can see she has some small dog type of behavior traits. She is not dog aggressive or people aggressive, but some strangers make it seem like she might bite if the circumstances were just right like if they tried to grab her. It happens mainly with men whether she is on a leash or she just sees them. They aren't coming towards her and she goes to them but she starts timid and then her hackles raise and she growls occasionally or will bark at them. I think if given time she would relax and get comfortable, but the household situation I am in now I feel the only option is to remove her from interacting with the person or if we are out in town just keep her moving along.

I have read that I should let the dog approach strangers and proceed at their own pace, but I am worried based on what I described above. I also don't have any patient friends that she would react to that are willing to ignore my dog barking at them until she gets comfortable. What are some other tactics I can employ to help her realize men won't hurt her and to raise her confidence.

Becky

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Re: Fear of men

Postby Nickdawg » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:27 am

this is just me rambling quickly - I would mainly work on raising her confidence in general - work to eat toys, lots of positive attention and praise, calming techniques, brushing her, stroking her etc. lots of exercise

you don't say how long you have had her but slow slow slow is key, she may be much better once she settles in which can take a long time and keeping her world smaller at first is a good thing...

for now I would not have her out/ have her away in safe place when others come over etc. in public I would reward praise or treat for non reaction but I would just keep trucking ( no greets) although in a positive upbeat way, she can't say hello she's in training or whatever - this b/c you are not sure if she may bite and one thing at a time...

eventually you can try things like maybe working up to having her in a crate (safe) at home with a nice long lasting kong or treat with others including men around but instruct them to ignore her completely so she can be around the energy and voices while safe...

later see if you can find a man who is willing to work with you - maybe even a trainer- who will be around her but completely ignore her except for intermittingly dropping treats and see how that goes...

please provide picture :)

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:30 pm

any updates?

petty254
Newborn Bully

Postby petty254 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:20 am

Its possible that she wasn't socialized with enough men while at the rescue center. What you need to do is to expose her to your male friends let them know about your situation i am sure they will be willing to help. During this exercise carry out positive reinforcements to get her to warm up to men. But first you need to be sure that its men only that your dog reacts to.

Return to “Training and Behavior”