My dog isn't aggressive, but gets very rough during playtime.

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
justasmalldogpack
Newborn Bully

My dog isn't aggressive, but gets very rough during playtime.

Postby justasmalldogpack » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:39 pm

Please excuse me if I'm posting this on the wrong board, I was looking for the right one and this seemed to be it? If not, and it is removed/moved to a different board, please inform me and it won't happen again!

My dog Sandy isn't agressive, she's really sweet and nice, but when she plays with dogs she gets rough. A little too rough. She will plow into other dogs, and plays bites hard. (Never hard enough to break or injure any dog) She grew up playing with a giant german shepherd, plus our other pit Teddy Bear. They all play fine, and never have gotten in any fights. When we take her to our friends, the dogs all get along fine, until Sandy starts getting rough, and they snap at her, causing her to snap back. (She has NEVER bitten a dog aggressively, she has snarled near their face, but then she jumps back and stands with her hair raised up. If I grab her collar she sits and calms back down. She'll then play calmly for about two minutes before getting too rough for her own good again.) However, I don't want to bring her there anymore until she learns to play more gently. I just don't want anything bad to happen, I know once a pit attacks another dog, working with them to make sure it never happens again can be rigorous and may not even work. Does anyone know any tips/training ideas for this issue?

Bullseye

Re: My dog isn't aggressive, but gets very rough during playtime.

Postby Bullseye » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:56 pm

Well to be honest they do play rough & in some cases it can be nasty, I am a tad sceptical about bull breeds interacting with other dogs, especially ones they do not know, I have 8 dogs & some can never be around others dogs, they're brilliant with people, so I don't really have a problem with it & it's not all that hard work to keep them seperate, it sounds like she's getting a little peeved off with the others, our Bonnie seemed ok with other dogs until they started playing with her, she appeared to be playing back, but it was getting more & more rough until it resulted in an actual fight with injuries, albeit minor... since then she's not allowed near other dogs, but again brilliant with people (including my 3 nieces)

This may seem a little discouraging, but I would rather tell you this just incase something terrible was to happen, don't be discouraged by it though, it's just sometimes the way things go sometimes...

Hope this helps.

~John~

justasmalldogpack
Newborn Bully

Postby justasmalldogpack » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:20 pm

The two dogs aren't strangers for her, at least I don't believe so.. I see my friend a lot and Sandy grew up around her dog Felix, but her other dog Bruno, Sandy met when she was about eleven months. He was six months and just laid down, and she would cuddle with him and play with him. (As in she shuffled around him and would gently nibble on him, if he didn't respond to it she would lay down, or walk away and if he did she would start pushing him with her paw. It was cute.) She gets along with them fine though, never any fighting. It's just after about thirty minutes of running around playing, she gets rough. Is there any chance it would be safe to allow them to play with cool down periods in between? Other dogs, Sandy doesn't get along with. My friends dog, she grew up around. When I got her, she was tiny. She was 6 weeks old. Someone had threw It sucks that I can't easily take her places because of it, but it isn't the worst, she's still happy and I'm happy. She's just never had problems with my friends two dogs. The only time she gets irritated is after playing for awhile. Other than that they're always rolling around on the floor together or cuddling on the couch. We got sandy at 6 weeks, some evil being actually threw her away. I took her in, but she met Felix the day we got her. Felix is pretty lazy. He was laying there when I was getting a blanket for her. My friends house was closer and this was in the winter, she was really cold so I wanted to get her warm. She had walked over to him and cuddled up against his side. She's very cuddly. Loves to cuddle and lean on people and dogs, plus our cat. Half the time she wants to lay or sit right in your lap lol

Bullseye

Postby Bullseye » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:17 pm

I would imagine that cool down periods would certainly help, all I was saying is that you can never take anything for granted, always use caution, if you ignore Bonnie she will keep rubbing her side on you and her daughter Tuppence is always demanding cuddles, sounds like you have yourself a really affectionate pup there, well done for rescuing her, I also forgot to mention that very often the snapping is just messing about, they also make more noise when playing about as well, this also includes Staffs, but still always be cautious and you won't go far wrong :yipee:

justasmalldogpack
Newborn Bully

Postby justasmalldogpack » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:37 pm

Bullseye wrote:I would imagine that cool down periods would certainly help, all I was saying is that you can never take anything for granted, always use caution, if you ignore Bonnie she will keep rubbing her side on you and her daughter Tuppence is always demanding cuddles, sounds like you have yourself a really affectionate pup there, well done for rescuing her, I also forgot to mention that very often the snapping is just messing about, they also make more noise when playing about as well, this also includes Staffs, but still always be cautious and you won't go far wrong :yipee:

Yeah, we watch them a lot. Thanks for the help, she's still young so I'm hoping her temperament doesn't change to the point of being agressive with her dogs. Oh yeah, if Sandy doesn'the get love she's constantly whining at you! It's cute and annoying all at the same time, haha. I'mean going to give them cool down periods then, and see if it keeps her from getting so rough. The roughness is okay with our dogs, beings as they're all big breeds, they all play rough. But they don't get irritated with each other. They love to wrestle around the yard and such.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:59 pm

Playing rough can be very characteristic of Pit Bulls. They thrive on the intense physical contact, and I know a lot of other dogs can't really handle it. I can't recommend a way to teach her to play more gently, so what I would suggest is just to spend a lot of time working on her recall so you can call her out of that situation when it starts getting intense and have her sit/down by your side until she calms down a bit. Easier said than done, I know, but keep at it. :)

Return to “Training and Behavior”