Letting your dog sleep in the bed with you???

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:13 pm

both of mine sleep in bed with me and it's never been a problem. i have no dominance issues with either one.

luce slept with me from day one. mushroom not til his fourth week here (he slept the first week sleeping in his crate and the next two tethered to my bedframe sleeping on a dog bed).

Romanwild

Postby Romanwild » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:42 pm

Dreyfus slept with his head on my shoulder for the first few months when he was a pup.

Then he started sleeping at my feet facing the door. (guarding?). He still does this but he must be between my legs which pins me in place.

I can move him whenever I want. Never a dominance issue.

moochesmama
Bully Ambassador

Postby moochesmama » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:07 am

My dogs have always slept with me until my SO and I got together (cool guy...just doesn't do the dog in bed thing). I've ALWAYS had dominance issues with my dogs...but it isn't the bed thing, I'm just a crappy trainer lol .

BTW every year my SO fishes in Alaska for 6 weeks starting in mid-June and I CAN'T WAIT until my dogs get to sleep in the bed!!! It's become a yearly ritual :))

Wednesday
Bully Ambassador

Postby Wednesday » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:22 am

Koya sleeps in the bed with us. She is great about it though. My BF goes to bed before me and she follows up there. As soon as I come into the room to go to bed, she gets off and lets me pick my spot before climbing back in. I don't even have to ask her which is nice. Brandy sleeps with us once and awhile. Now that she is older, she seems to prefer her own space on the couch. Just be sure to teach your dog an "off" command so that he understands that you control where he gets to sleep.

nessa
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby nessa » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:45 am

My baby sleeps with me. So does my sweet old man. Well, Hoover usually gets off the bed sometime during the night, but Kirby has to snuggle in realllly close. The SO USED to bea no dog in bed kinda guy......
Not so much now.

Ickey
Newborn Bully

Postby Ickey » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:40 am

Fendi slept in the bed with us (or wherever she wants for that matter) up till about a month ago. She's a year and 4 months old.

We started leaving her in her crate at night since we knew we were getting another pup and also to reestablish the order in the house. She got a little too spoiled and too confident. She still whines a little while in the crate, but I think she'll be alright.

mnp13

Postby mnp13 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:46 am

Ickey wrote:Fendi slept in the bed with us (or wherever she wants for that matter) up till about a month ago. She's a year and 4 months old.

We started leaving her in her crate at night since we knew we were getting another pup and also to reestablish the order in the house. She got a little too spoiled and too confident. She still whines a little while in the crate, but I think she'll be alright.

Excellent idea. Just be sure to do the same with your new pup to help prevent jealousy.

With Connor and Ruby, we created order and continue to enforce it. She eats first, gets on the bed first and gets everything else first. However if she is a snot about it, she gets in BIG trouble and loses priviledges.

Be fair but firm.

shadyridgekennel

Postby shadyridgekennel » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:04 pm

HEHEHE. try sleeping with 6 apbts in your bed!!!!!!! :roll: and hubby :dunno:

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:24 pm

Mine always have slept in bed with me and it is important to them.they are crated during the day. Daisy sleeps on my pillow like a person most of the time snuggled up to me with my arm around her. I don't think I could sleep without a pitbull to squish. :tongue:

Return to “Training and Behavior”