He knows he's wrong... He just doesn't care.

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Mr. Walnuts

He knows he's wrong... He just doesn't care.

Postby Mr. Walnuts » Mon May 09, 2005 11:47 pm

I've been pretty lucky with Pauly in some areas of aggrevation I hear about from bullie parents. He knows what he can chew and not chew so He doesnt really tear stuff up unless its HIS stuff. Leash training was a breeze. House training.... :\
He knows he isnt supposed to go inside. He doesnt do it when im around. When Im around, he goes to the door and I let him out. If I leave the room for a second, I'll come back and he runs into his cage and hides...
because he knows im gonna find somthing I dont like in the kitchen (I keep his crate blocking the walkway to the kitchen so he has his crate as well as the kitchen. Plus that way when he's in his crate I can see him from the living room couch) It never fails... He always goes on the floor.
For a while, I had chicken breast pieces in a little tupperware thing that i would take outside with me so that when he went, I would give him a treat and lots of kisses and love. But still, he would do it outside when i was there b/c he knew he'd get a treat. But when im away, kitchen floor.
Ideas?

Salival
Super Bully

Postby Salival » Tue May 10, 2005 9:43 am

When I train a new dog or a puppy I train them to follow me, which also helps to create a tight bond between me and the dog/pup. A good way to do this is to either keep the pup/dog on a lead or just ask her/him to follow you. But don't leave the puppy/new dog in a room unsupervised until you have completely taught him/her the rules of the house. Also do you have a schedule that you follow? If not get one as dogs thrive by schedules and if you have one remember to incorporate potty time and play time.

AM take pup out for potty, and then play after.
breakfast wait a few minutes then outside potty, and play

If the puppy/dog starts to incorporate play with potty time (which means playing outside not inside) then the chances are higher that you will see less accidents. And you have the added bonus of expelling some energy :)

hookilau

Postby hookilau » Tue May 10, 2005 12:06 pm

We are in the middle of potty training as well, both our youngster (9 wks) and our adult 1 yr old Min Pin.

The smaller high strung breed dogs are *clearly* more difficult! :roll: As the last poster pointed out, scheduling is key.

I also put them on long leads (in the house), as the above poster advises, This way I make sure pups stay with me so I can catch them if they have an 'accident'. The good thing about this is that I can practice recall with them and reinforce the idea that they should look to me for guidance, not each other. This also helps to build a strong bond btw you and your pup.

My whole family complains that the dogs only listen to me, this is in part because I am the one who has built up the bond by means of this proverbial umbilical cord.

Stay dressed and keep shoes close at hand so you can run outside when necc. I as you, do not allow pups to roam around the house and plan to continue in this manner until they are reliably house trained. How long will that take?...who knows....I'm hoping to outlast them though! 8)

You would'nt believe the mayhem when both pups decide it's smackdown time while tethered to me! :roll:

The hardest thing to teach my family is to let the opportunity when the doggies go in the house slide by if they did'nt catch the offender in the act. This usually means whomever was charged with 'babysitting' slacked off.

for instance, when I'm at work (I work nights, hubby works days) my husband will cook dinner while one child has the leash of one dog, and the other has the leash of the other dog.

Each child is responsible for their doggies' ability to do the right thing and both pup and child are praised accordingly. My kids are 16 and 8 yrs. old and have been raised with dogs all their lives. Sure they have accidents and ideally it works best when either I or hubby are 'babysitting', but the main reason for this excersise is for my family to learn that how well or how poorly their pups do is in direct relation to how diligent and patient they are at this point. 8)

Accidents happen lots and when that happens, if no one saw it or caught the doggie while it's happening, it's a free pass. I've read that each time you scold your pet for this, you run the risk of doing damage to the relationship btw. you and your pup, so I try not to do it. The result is a pup/dog that is *always* happy to see me and will reliably come when I call because they do not fear my wrath. I am hoping that this will pay off in that the dog learns what is acceptable whether I'm in the room or not.

They inherently *want* to do things to please you so once you tap into this it is much easier to get them to do the things that make them a good housepet as opposed to a yard doggie. 8)

Return to “Training and Behavior”