Opinions are like BUtt holes...

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Trump72

Opinions are like BUtt holes...

Postby Trump72 » Mon May 16, 2005 6:22 pm

everyones got one....

I live on property that is shared with my neighbors. The dogs, mine and theirs, play out in the back alot.

Lately I always hear my neghbors and their friends yelling at my puppy and constantly telling her no, and lately, it's been stressing me out.

My gf and I have been using positive re enforcement with Gladys. It really pisses me off when I hear other people constantly yelling at my dog, she's 4 months old and still learning. I don't want everything to be a negative experience for her.

My gf feels the same way. we were wonedring if it would be better if my neighbors tried positive re enforcement/ re direction with gladys, like we do.

I hardly ever hear them praise her. which makes me feel like I have a bad dog and I'm not doing enough.

I mean its like having kids... you get sensitive when other people comment or repremand them.

I have a HUGE headache right now...

on top of it a "professional" commented that she sees that Gladys does whatever she wants, whenever she wants, blah blah blah... which is not true. I've been using NILF with Gladys...I never let that bitch run a muck. I break her up when she plays to ruff, She's not allowed in the bed, she sits before she's fed, let out, thrown a ball, for treats, at every corner when we walk.... etc...

I thought we were doing good w/ her.....I had so many compliments on her behavior the week before....could I be in denial? or does everyone else need to myob and cut a mom some slack?

Salival
Super Bully

Postby Salival » Mon May 16, 2005 6:50 pm

The first thing that I would not do (me personally with my dogs) is I would NEVER allow ANYONE to correct my dog(s). This can be prevented and very simply actually. Do not allow your dog to be loose or visit the neighbors unless you are with her. Even if this means that you have to be outside with her every time she is out there so be it.

When it comes to decisive nature does your dog have toys laying about that she can get as she pleases? This teaches decisive behavior as does allowing a dog to approach whoever s/he wants to while you are not with her/him.

whiskeyman

Postby whiskeyman » Mon May 16, 2005 6:53 pm

Salival wrote:The first thing that I would not do (me personally with my dogs) is I would NEVER allow ANYONE to correct my dog(s). This can be prevented and very simply actually. Do not allow your dog to be loose or visit the neighbors unless you are with her. Even if this means that you have to be outside with her every time she is out there so be it.

When it comes to decisive nature does your dog have toys laying about that she can get as she pleases? This teaches decisive behavior as does allowing a dog to approach whoever s/he wants to while you are not with her/him.

:thumbsup:

Problem solved

jeremy

Trump72

Postby Trump72 » Mon May 16, 2005 6:57 pm

yes sometimes she has toys laying around.. bones treats and tug toys are put away... i've been starting to give her knog toy an other toys only when I say so.

what should I do about my neighbors?

i have been calling her in the house when i hear them discipline her, then they'll say... oh she's ok.

well is she or isn't she?

I think Gladys is very confused as to who's the boss with so many people telling her no.

It's hard to keep her seperate bc we share the back yard.

moochesmama
Bully Ambassador

Postby moochesmama » Mon May 16, 2005 7:00 pm

i have been calling her in the house when i hear them discipline her, then they'll say... oh she's ok.

At this stage of her life and even when she's mature, she should never interact with other dogs without your direct supervision...IMO if she out there, you should be out there. If you're inside, she should be inside too. That way you can control what happens to her. Don't count on your neighbors to monitor her....

Trump72

Postby Trump72 » Mon May 16, 2005 7:03 pm

we are going awya for a week and spending alot of $$ on doggie day care, where she'll have fun and learn.

Trump72

Postby Trump72 » Mon May 16, 2005 7:18 pm

ok...now I will always be out there when she is out there...should I tell people to stop disciplining her and let me take care of it so she knows?

hookilau

Postby hookilau » Tue May 17, 2005 10:51 am

I think that if they see you out there with her, they'll see that you have her under control and mind their own business...

The poster who mentioned bones and toys along with decisive behaviour has made a good point.

She is still a 'snapper so I would'nt be too concerned, but I would'nt be slack either... 8) It's a balance. Since I know what I expect from my dog, I am the only one who asks anything of him. Although he focuses on whomever has his leash, he still looks to me for assurance, he's but 10 wks old so that may change but I'm working on it.

My dog does not go anywhere without me and this is as it should be. I think you're right when you voiced the concern over different people asking different things of your pup which may confuse her.

As for me, I'm off to collect toys and bones and put a stop to decisive behaviour in my own monsters...

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Tue May 17, 2005 1:26 pm

Can you fence a part of the yard for your dog?.Training with rewards work when the dog sees consistency, she will be confused if people act differently with her.If you don't agree with how your neighbors deal with the dog, don't put the dog in that position.

Trump72

Postby Trump72 » Tue May 17, 2005 2:17 pm

Red wrote:Can you fence a part of the yard for your dog?.Training with rewards work when the dog sees consistency, she will be confused if people act differently with her.If you don't agree with how your neighbors deal with the dog, don't put the dog in that position.

there is no way to fence off the yard. both of our back doors open to the back porch. i told my gf that gladys is not to be outside unless one f us is out there...

but... what should I do when I am around and they are still telling her no?

ie.. last night, gladys was all calm and quiet in her bed and janelle and I were relaxing. well, my neighbor comes in w/ her dog, and gladys gets all pumped up... then mky neighbors start telling her no, and saying that she's acting crazy....

that's the chocolate that pisses me off. it's her house and they are disciplining her in front of us! wtf!

sorry... this has turned into more of a rant than a question. guess I wanted to know if anyone has had similar problems w/ other people disciplining their dog and how they handled it.

whiskeyman

Postby whiskeyman » Tue May 17, 2005 2:44 pm

Why not explain your training philosophy to them?

I'm sure that since you both use the same yard I'm sure thatthey would be willing to heed your wishes. They have no way of knowing that they are doing something that you find undesirable if you do not tell them. Talk to them and let them know what you are trying to do.

Communication is the key

jeremy

Salival
Super Bully

Postby Salival » Tue May 17, 2005 2:57 pm

Trump72 wrote:ie.. last night, gladys was all calm and quiet in her bed and janelle and I were relaxing. well, my neighbor comes in w/ her dog, and gladys gets all pumped up... then mky neighbors start telling her no, and saying that she's acting crazy....

that's the chocolate that pisses me off. it's her house and they are disciplining her in front of us! wtf!

First I would not suggest having them bring their dog over for a bit. Then I would tell them if they come into your home they do not touch, they do not talk, and they do not look at your dog If they don't enjoy your dog's excitment then they need to ignore her. Put her on a lead when they come over or when they are outside. After a couple minutes of them ignoring her & her being calm, ask them to give her a treat pet her - while she is sitting - and that is it. After that they don't have to do anything anymore.

That is the best way to teach a dog manners with people.

BUT you also have to be consistant with that method. You do not acknowledge her until she is calm and then she can be praised and pet for a minute or two - while she is still being calm.

It annoys me to hear people complain about my dogs too. Between the bully tail, the mastiff slingers and the big dog bodies moving in for attention I get it all the time from people. But I am very blunt about my feelings. You don't like it leave, you don't want it to happen listen to what I am telling you, and if you correct my dogs I will kick you out.

There should be no dancing around that just because they are people that you may not know very well, or because they are your neighbors. They don't feed or care for your dog - you do. It is up to you to set the rules and they may feel more secure if you do actually.

angel_1526

Postby angel_1526 » Tue May 17, 2005 4:05 pm

:goodpost:

bullylover77
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby bullylover77 » Tue May 17, 2005 5:40 pm

Salival wrote:That is the best way to teach a dog manners with people.

BUT you also have to be consistant with that method. You do not acknowledge her until she is calm and then she can be praised and pet for a minute or two - while she is still being calm.

Oh, this works, 100%. My brother's dog would get skitzo whenever we would visit. I loved it (sort of) because it was an ego boost, but then I could see how pissed off my bro would get at the dog and then he wouldn't let us near her. I read (probably on this site) about No free lunch/Nothing in Life is Free, and started to use those methods with her when i came around. Now she stays calm, and on the ground when we show up.
My bro told me, and you should tell them that it's YOUR odg, and you will discipline or not discipline how you see fit, it's your dog, and if they don't like it, they can stay the ---- away! I know if someone tried to discipline my kid while I was standing there I would say the same damn thing.

Check this out..... http://www.sspca.org/Dogs_TANSTAAFL.html it's great!

Return to “Training and Behavior”