Kennel help?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
BADNBADN

Postby BADNBADN » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:08 pm

The kennel is 10X12 and there is a huge tree that completely covers the kennel so there is no sunlight beamimng down on her, also she only stays in the kennel at night time, we let her out during the day. My g/f and I are both in college and she does not work so Jaxie is free to raom the back yard. We also keep a pool in the back yard. We have 2.

Pit Chick
Forum Junky

Postby Pit Chick » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:40 am

BADNBADN wrote:I have yet to purchase a crate for jaxie. i just dont think that she would like it being cooped up in a crate at night. At least in her kennel she can walk around and has some room to play. As for the mesquitos, i change the water about every other day and have not noticed alot of mesquitos yet. The pool is for her to cool off in when it is hot outside. I would not mind her in the house sometimes except the shedding. Should a buy a crate and put her in that at night?
I dont know.

Well, it doesn't sound like she's happy being outside in a kennel so it wouldn't hurt to try a crate. Think of it this way, you're inside and she's outside alone....would you be happy if you were her? The crate should be used when no one is home so she doesn't destroy the house, at night, it would be ideal to let her sleep either in your room with you or leave the crate door open and let her choose. Most likely she'll want to be in there with you though. Shedding with Pit Bulls really isn't a big problem since the hair is so small and it doesn't come out in clumps like a double coated dog or Lab, but you can keep shedding to a minimum by brushing her regularly, several times a week. What about installing a doggy door so she can come and go as she pleases? Regular exercise will keep her from getting so board that she wants to chew on the house. Is your Chi allowed to stay in the house? If so, let me tell you the problems this can create.

Years ago, we had an outside dog, mutt and an inside dog, Poodle. We would let the poodle out back to do his business and play with the mutt, but when we brought the Poodle back in the poor mutt was still stuck outside away from us (I was a kid, it wasn't my choice and we were ignorant:oops: ). After a while, the mutt got sick of this and attacked the Poodle for no reason. Now thinking back on it and being more educated, the mutt was jealous and felt HIS territory was being invaded. So, if you want to prevent this from happening it's best to make both dogs inside dogs.

BADNBADN

Postby BADNBADN » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:24 am

Both dogs are outside dogs, Jaxie just has kennel that is hers to sleep in at night. They both feed in the kennel though.

We also have a 3 yr old boy and we do not want our boy alone with Jaxie at any time!! We read to much and we dont want any "accidents"!

Its not that we do not trust Jaxie, we do, but we would rather be safe than sorry.

I would consider a crate for her to sleep in at night, where do I put the crate? living room, bedroom, office......etc.

Would I need to put both dogs in crates in the same room?

Help and links would be appreciated.

Jaxie is my first pet since I was about 10, so this is a huge learning experience for me. Please bare with me.
Thanks for all the knowledge so far!!

BADNBADN

Postby BADNBADN » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:17 pm

Also should I get a metel crate/kennel are the plastic type and what size?

Pit Chick
Forum Junky

Postby Pit Chick » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:23 pm

Either. The metal ones can be collapsable for easy storage, but the hard sides are more durable and can be taken on airplanes if you travel. You can put both dogs in crate, stacked, or you could just keep them in the room with the door closed, whichever works for you.

It's good that you don't want to leave your son alone with Jaxie and the same should apply to Mocha. She may be small, but so is a 3 year old. Having the dogs crated in your room would probably make them happiest. I might add though, leaving both dogs outside alone is not a good idea. They are both dogs that can easily be stolen and since Mocha is so small, she could be swooped up by a big bird (falcon or hawk). Don't think living in the suburbs keeps big birds away, I've seen them in my backyard going after squirrels. Letting the dogs sleep inside is a good start, but the ideal situation would be to eventually let them be inside more so they learn your rules, what you expect from them, they bond with you more, they are safer, and they will be more protective of you and your house. Being outside, they make up their own rules, they have no one to really bond to, they don't know what is expected of them as pets, they are in danger of many things, and the only thing they care to protect is their yard or kennel. They need to be around your son more on his turf (supervised of course) so they learn that he is part of their pack, not just an occasional visitor on their territory when he is in the backyard. If neither dog has had obedience training, now is the time. If neither of them is spayed/neutered, now is also the time. You want these dogs to be as safe as possible around your kid and the most compatible to be in the house where everyone is happy.

After having an outside dog and now only inside dogs, there is a tremendous difference with the bond and behavior.

Pit Chick
Forum Junky

Postby Pit Chick » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:24 pm

Forgot to add, the crate should be big enough for the dog to stand up, turn around and lay down comfortably.

BADNBADN

Postby BADNBADN » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:33 pm

Jaxie has just completed an obiedence training class, and we are on our way to Petco to pick out a crate and give this a try.
Thanks

BADNBADN

Postby BADNBADN » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:16 pm

Well we just the Petco and we have Jaxie a new crate/kennel. We went with the metal cage style, the plastic would seem to keep her to isolated.
Now have to read on crate training.

Pit Chick
Forum Junky

Postby Pit Chick » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:36 pm

Congrats on finishing training. :clap

Make the crate a positive place. A soft blankie, chew bones, a toy or two. Never put the dogs in the crate as punishment, it should always be a good place to go. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

BADNBADN

Postby BADNBADN » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:03 am

Should I have to push her into her crate?
We have a blanket, a chew bone and one of her tennis balls in the crate.
We left her in their last night and she was great! No crying or anything. This morning she peed 3 times when we took her outside. But she would not go back in the crate she we left her outside during the day time.
Tonight after she ate we went on a 1 mile walk and I tried to bribe her togo in ut she would not go, I had to lead her witha good push to get walk in. What do i do? Am I doing this the correct way?
Thanks
Wes

Pit Chick
Forum Junky

Postby Pit Chick » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:24 am

If she is treat/toy driven you can lead her in with a treat/toy to the nose and throw it in. If that still doesn't work, then a good push will have to do. You can also teach her to crate on command. When it's time to go into the crate, give her a command: "kennel up", "go to jail", "get in your house", "go night night", etc. be consistant using the same command every time. Since she probably won't go in the first few times on command, help her in and at the same time give the command again. She'll figure it out. After a while they usually get used to it and figure out it's a good place to be and start going in on their own. We go through that every time a new foster comes into the house. If they weren't crate trained before, they are now whether they wanted to be or not. Some even run up to the crate and open the doors to let themselves in now. Give it time and have patience. How did Mocha do?

Samantha
Matured Bully

Postby Samantha » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:13 pm

We just went through this with Arlo. When we got him he was about 10 months old and was not crate trained. We only planned to use the crate for when we went out. Other then that he has free roam of the house and sleeps on our bed. :) We put the crate in the living room and found that he soon assoiciated the crate with us leaving him and we were having to push him in every time. So in order to assoiciate the kennel with a positive experience, I put a second crate in my truck, and he loves car rides (he goes everywhere with me) at first I had to push him into that one as well but it didnt take to long before he was jumping right in! The whole process from start to acceptance was about 6 months. We took our time, never overcrated him and always treated it as a very positive place to be. If he just happened to wander over and go in on his own we would praise the crap out him. I am so thankful we went through the process of crate training. Its so nice knowing he is safe and happy while I go out. PS we NEVER leave him in it longer than 5 hours during the day. and even less than that while hes learning. up to 8 hours overnight is fine

BADNBADN

Postby BADNBADN » Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:22 pm

jaxie has been sleeping in her crate each night, and playing outside during the day. We mainly wanted her to stop peeing the house and I think that we have acomplished that. She now eats both meals in her crate then we wait about 20 to 30 minutes and take her outside, with in minutes she doing her thing.

We still are having to give her a nudge and some times drag her into the crate. but she does not really cry once in the crate.

Return to “Training and Behavior”