Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:49 am

I'm glad things are getting better :thumbsup:

konaboy
Newborn Bully

Postby konaboy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:43 pm

I have a question about introducing my puppy to new people on our walks or at the pet store. We rescued him at 9 weeks and he just finished getting all is vaccines, we took him to friends houses and invited people over but he could not be taken many places until just recently. He is pretty good meeting people but can be a bit shy.

My main concern is that he has started barking at some people when they approach. He will also back away and try to get behind me. He is now 15 weeks. What can I do when he does this? I have been teaching him "good quiet" I admit that I get sort of nervous when he does this and feel like people will think he is a mean and mistreated. He is very layed back at home and full of kisses, rarely barks. Any tips?? He starts puppy obedience next week too :)

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:57 pm

konaboy wrote:I have a question about introducing my puppy to new people on our walks or at the pet store. We rescued him at 9 weeks and he just finished getting all is vaccines, we took him to friends houses and invited people over but he could not be taken many places until just recently. He is pretty good meeting people but can be a bit shy.

My main concern is that he has started barking at some people when they approach. He will also back away and try to get behind me. He is now 15 weeks. What can I do when he does this? I have been teaching him "good quiet" I admit that I get sort of nervous when he does this and feel like people will think he is a mean and mistreated. He is very layed back at home and full of kisses, rarely barks. Any tips?? He starts puppy obedience next week too :)

You can try a several things... here are a couple. Which ever you chose take it slow and be patient.

- Teach him to sit and watch you while a person goes by
- redirect him to a toy
- turn and go the other direction from the on coming person and ignore the barking
- have a person approach all the way and bring treats to the pup and praise him when he is quite.

nismozee
Newborn Bully

Postby nismozee » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:20 pm

I loved the tips you have provided. i have a little puppy, about 9 weeks and he bites EVERYTHING ive tried the tips for teething and they worked =)

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:20 am

nismozee wrote:I loved the tips you have provided. i have a little puppy, about 9 weeks and he bites EVERYTHING ive tried the tips for teething and they worked =)
I'm glad all is going well. I love working with puppies! ENJOY!

JobbiVickie
Newborn Bully

Re:

Postby JobbiVickie » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:51 pm

Patch O' Pits wrote:
doggiessmile wrote:Thank you so much for this. we adopted our dog at 10 months and changed his name. We have had him for 2 months. I am working with the pronged leash training supplied on this forum. I have taken him to an indoor play area off leash and he is not "coming" when called. He does come when we are at home. How can I enforce this with an older pup? TIA

Get a long line leash that is 15 to 30 feet . keep him on it as he lays and when you call him if e doesn't listen reel him in. Treat and praise, then let him go play ... repeat. It is best not to toally let him off lead until he is responding to you reliably. This way you don't get aggrivtaed lol and he is safe

A lot of the things you do with young pups can be carried over to older pups and dogs too

Good luck and post some pictures

I am having an almost identical problem with Lucy, except that she doesn't come at home either, unless I resort to treats. On top of that, when we go for a walk, when she doesn't want to move, she lies down, digs in, and I have a 45lb millstone on a leash. Very tough not to get P.O'd with her.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Re: Tips for socializing/training puppies

Postby Patch O' Pits » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:02 pm

Remember getting angry when calling a pup just makes them not want to come even more. So just watch your tone and body language. Some other things to think about is that when pups try to make it a game to run away when called or blow you off that is when you need to turn the game around. Use toys, run away from the pup while you call. Also when using long lines you first start off with the shorter ones and as the pup's attention improves and he/she starts to understand what you want then the line is extended for more range. The farther away they are the less likely they will listen when they do not knwo what is expected of them.

I hope that makes more sense and helps you out.

Yes, at times strong headed pups can be quite frustrating. LOL

JobbiVickie
Newborn Bully

Postby JobbiVickie » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:30 pm

Thank you for the advice. I love this forum. I tell everyone what a decent, caring crowd Pitbull people are and how wonderful the breed is, contrary to the misconception in the media.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:58 pm

On top of that, when we go for a walk, when she doesn't want to move, she lies down, digs in, and I have a 45lb millstone on a leash. Very tough not to get P.O'd with her.
How long has she been doing that? Did she have any bad experiences walking? Does she usually do it in certain places or just whenever...?

Have you tried switching directions and walking the other way when she stops?

JobbiVickie
Newborn Bully

Postby JobbiVickie » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:14 pm

She has a great time when we walk but sometimes she can be, how shall I put it, bloody-minded. She will lay on the grass and not budge. Sometimes she is Ok when we change directions but, because she is easily distracted by bugs, cars, and bikes, she resists, and I hate to tug on her.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 pm

LOL sounds like she is just being a bratty pup! Get her attention on you.
Do some plain old obedience when she gets stubborn or a little game of tug or whatever she likes to get her back to watching you. Commands like "watch me" Look" or Let's go" are helpful!
Also remember pups do have a poop out period as well, humidity and heat also play a huge part in their cooperation.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:42 pm

WCork wrote:Hi,
We've recently (within the last 2 months) adopted Tips. A 1 yr old, fixed male, whom we've signed up for training classes that start next month. He's excellent with us, other people, and for the most part other animals. He's not a fan of overly excited animals though ie. jumping puppies or running cats. We're hoping training classes will assist with socializing him. Until then, does anyone have advise for socializing him on a daily basis? We live in a city where there are always other dogs around.

Thanks! :)
Working with older dogs is a bit different. Not all want to have dog pals. I definitely would go to classes and work on obedience and get to know the dog first before doing intro's to other dogs.

I'd be more concerned about getting him out to see people and get used to the sights and sounds in your neighborhood at this point. Going for walks and letting him see dogs from a distance would be your best bet to start at home.

Congrats on the adoption and Patch O' Luck with Tips in training class.

I'd post your question in it's own thread so that more can respond.

JobbiVickie
Newborn Bully

Postby JobbiVickie » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:32 pm

Lucy has now started school. She had some basic training before we adopted her but she needs some fine-tuning, as do we. the instructor has 36 years experience and everything is built around positive reinforcement. The class is a mix of goolden retrievers, little wire terriers, a german shepherd mix, and some big furry things. All shades of temperament in the class, and Lucy has been affectionate and curious towards the instructor. We've been doing our homework with her all week, and I think this will be a great class

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:51 am

JobbiVickie wrote:Lucy has now started school. She had some basic training before we adopted her but she needs some fine-tuning, as do we. the instructor has 36 years experience and everything is built around positive reinforcement. The class is a mix of goolden retrievers, little wire terriers, a german shepherd mix, and some big furry things. All shades of temperament in the class, and Lucy has been affectionate and curious towards the instructor. We've been doing our homework with her all week, and I think this will be a great class
Sounds great. Have a super time!

JobbiVickie
Newborn Bully

Postby JobbiVickie » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:30 pm

Lucy has gone from Choke chain to chest harness to a "Snoot loop" - a gentle leader type of collar. She is the star attraction at class - well behaved and becoming an ambassador for the breed. The instructor discovered she was nervous around other dogs as she avoided eye contact and would sniff the ground when she walked past them. Now she is confident and the belle of the ball. She worships the instructor.

Now, if only she could master "Come". She is still headstrong about that and isn't easily fooled by treats.

Return to “Training and Behavior”