Loyalty and Attachment

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
nags
Adolescent Bully

Postby nags » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:19 am

I hope he gets better... It's really quite depressing.. If I call his name in the house even.. he'll look at me but thats it :(

Naplis Slim
Newborn Bully

Postby Naplis Slim » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:35 am

When I first got Bo, I kept him close to me for like the first 3 months. I took him around people and other dogs, but I didn't let him stray to far. Now...if I move, all eyes are on me. Don't worry... you'll sometimes ask yoursself why he's following you.

nags
Adolescent Bully

Postby nags » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:37 am

Naplis Slim wrote:When I first got Bo, I kept him close to me for like the first 3 months. I took him around people and other dogs, but I didn't let him stray to far. Now...if I move, all eyes are on me. Don't worry... you'll sometimes ask yoursself why he's following you.

Yea.. I hope he gets better. It's hard to keep just at home with me as I'm pretty young and not really tied down to one place all day. He comes with me everywhere but is constantly meeting new people and seeing new things. Not very much alone time for us

nags
Adolescent Bully

Postby nags » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:38 pm

I'm seriously on the verge of giving him away :( He wants absolutley nothing to do with me. He comes when ANYONE BUT me calls him. In a room with a few people in it I can call him all I want and he wont even look at me. Anyone else calls him and he goes running towards them.... It's so sad :( Everyone thats around him notices it also............ :sad:

rgyoung777
Addicted to PBF

Postby rgyoung777 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:31 pm

nags wrote:I'm seriously on the verge of giving him away :( He wants absolutley nothing to do with me. He comes when ANYONE BUT me calls him. In a room with a few people in it I can call him all I want and he wont even look at me. Anyone else calls him and he goes running towards them.... It's so sad :( Everyone thats around him notices it also............ :sad:

You really, really need to give him more time to bond with you. Trust the advice you're getting here--it WILL happen, you just need to give it time. You've had this puppy for a very, very short time, and giving up on him now would be a terrible decision that you would probably regret.

Have you tried keeping him tethered to you with a leash when you are at home? This way you and he are literally inseparable!

Make sure that you're the only one feeding him or giving him treats, also. As Diane said, you need to be the coolest thing in the room!

Taking him to the dog park is another issue entirely, but hold off on another visit for now--taking him to a park before he's completely vaccinated is a very risky thing to do. Dog parks can be one of the best places for a dog to pick up diseases.

nags
Adolescent Bully

Postby nags » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:34 pm

I know.. I'm just getting really frustrated.. Dogs are supposed to the most loyal things in the world.. Especially a pitbull. So when you have one that would rather be with ANYONE else but you, can get quite depressing :(

rgyoung777
Addicted to PBF

Postby rgyoung777 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:48 pm

nags wrote:I know.. I'm just getting really frustrated.. Dogs are supposed to the most loyal things in the world.. Especially a pitbull. So when you have one that would rather be with ANYONE else but you, can get quite depressing :(

I'm betting your pup will come around in about a month, maybe even less. I know it's hard not to be anxious about this, but just try to enjoy him and be as fun as possible for him to be around. When he's finally made the connection with you, you'll look back and wonder what you were so worried about. Be patient, and don't give up on this pup! He'll come around.

Since this pup was abandoned by his previous owner, it's likely that he had a very rough beginning. At the very least, his past is unknown, and it may play a role in his behavior now.

In any case, I doubt you'll have to wait as long as I did to be fully bonded with my dog. I adopted her when she was a year and a half old, and it took her about 6 months to fully trust me. I just gave it time and let her come around on her own terms. Today, three years later, you'd never know it to look at the way she and I are bonded now.

As for loyalty--yes, pit bulls are loyal. But they are also shameless social butterflies. Lucy loves me, but she'd happily walk off with anyone who had kind words and a few butt skritches to offer her. I love how friendly and gregarious my dog is, even if it means she sometimes forgets about me momentarily when someone walking by takes notice of her. She always remembers who feeds her and lets her sit on the couch. :))

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:54 am

I'll throw another possibilty out there: maybe he, being a social little pitty, is just more excited by meeting "new" people than you, because he sees you every day? If I took my dog to a party, he'd be slutting it up on all the strangers there. He sees me all the time!

I really think the bond will come in a short time. Also, in my (limited) experience the dog-owner bond just keeps growing over time... Ernie has always been sort of a mamas boy, but as hes gotten older (hes 4 years) our bond has gotten so deep, its like we read each others' minds. Patience, grasshopper! Perfect dogs don't just spring up out of the ground.
:)

Diamonds Ruff

Postby Diamonds Ruff » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:22 am

[quote="rednoseErnie"]I'll throw another possibilty out there: maybe he, being a social little pitty, is just more excited by meeting "new" people than you, because he sees you every day? If I took my dog to a party, he'd be slutting it up on all the strangers there. He sees me all the time!

I really think the bond will come in a short time. Also, in my (limited) experience the dog-owner bond just keeps growing over time... Ernie has always been sort of a mamas boy, but as hes gotten older (hes 4 years) our bond has gotten so deep, its like we read each others' minds. Patience, grasshopper! Perfect dogs don't just spring up out of the ground.
:)[/quote

very well said :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DamnWRX
Adolescent Bully

Postby DamnWRX » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:43 am

Patience Daniel son! Wax on Wax off......Make us proud :thumbsup:

Diamonds Ruff

Postby Diamonds Ruff » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:01 pm

C'mon Kid, you need alot more commitment than that to own a pit bull! I meant to say that earlier but got sidetracked by someone else's post. I'm not gonna come down on you at all but my thought when reading all your posts about the puppy not getting attached to you in your mind and wanting to give it away was kinda like red flags to me.
If you are willing to give up that easily and that fast on your new pet, maybe you should wait awhile before owning a dog. Things take awhile but I don't think you have the patience to wait that while because even after people telling you that, you still want to get rid of the dog.
Hope you get things figured out and you may already. Good luck

Stacy

Postby Stacy » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:29 pm

When we have company come over, Jezebel pretty much wants NOTHING to do with me...she's all over the "visitors"...sniffing and licking and generally sucking up to them to get petted and praised.

But other times, when it's just us, she is practcially up my butt ALL THE TIME....I can't move a muscle without her looking at me like "And where do you think YOU'RE going without me??? No way, sista...I'm going with you!" She's like my shadow.

I spent almost every spare minute I had (while she was still a pup) with her (which is hard because I work all day long)...but I'd play with her, feed her, let her sleep on my stomach as I lay on the couch. Now we're dang near inseperable. I think you've gotten good advice from the other members....the bond will come...it may just take longer than you want.

nags
Adolescent Bully

Postby nags » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:32 pm

I wasn't really going to get rid of him.. Just frustrated... Makes it very hard to train him when I can't even get his attention :(

Diamonds Ruff

Postby Diamonds Ruff » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:09 pm

nags wrote:I wasn't really going to get rid of him.. Just frustrated... Makes it very hard to train him when I can't even get his attention :(

Ok well I am really glad to hear that :)) You had me worried!!! The fact that you are around alot of other people all the time really does make it harder. Do you have any time at all with him alone or can you make time for you and him to go do something together where there aren't alot of people around? I would highly reccommend finding some time where you can have some one on one and play with him.

nags
Adolescent Bully

Postby nags » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:24 pm

Diamonds Ruff wrote:
nags wrote:I wasn't really going to get rid of him.. Just frustrated... Makes it very hard to train him when I can't even get his attention :(

Ok well I am really glad to hear that :)) You had me worried!!! The fact that you are around alot of other people all the time really does make it harder. Do you have any time at all with him alone or can you make time for you and him to go do something together where there aren't alot of people around? I would highly reccommend finding some time where you can have some one on one and play with him.

Been at home all day today playing with him. And a few days ago I stopped using his crate and started letting him sleep in the bed with me.. so we play while in bed as well

Return to “Training and Behavior”