He is scared...

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
heatherb
Newborn Bully

He is scared...

Postby heatherb » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:15 pm

Capone is afraid of the water. I think it started in the beginning of the summer, when we were at the river, the water was high and cold. He was excited running on the dock and fell of the dock into the water. Now this is his first time in the water. I freaked, which I shouldn't have, I think he was scared becasue I was. SO I picked him up out of the water, he ran up the dock and into the house. Later on I walked him back down to the dock, hoping he wouldn't be afraid, he did great. We left the river later that day, when he went to step on the dock, the boat moved, again he lost his balance and fell between the pontoon and the dock. This time he was standing on his back feet, and he slammed his head against the boat. Again I picked him out of the water. Fast forward to last weekend, the water is warm and the river is low, so I walk him down and he walks around, but the water gets a bit deeper (2 1/2 ft), well he realized this and doesn't like it. SO I figured I would get in and walk around, he didn't like me in the water, he tried to stop me by pawing at my leg and whimpering. Any suggestions on how to get him in???? I definately do not want to force him in, but I do want him to enjoy the river. We spend many weeknds on the river during the summer. I just want him to be safe if he falls in again. I thought about buying a life vest. Maybe then he would like the water. But what brand is good, where can I buy them? Any help would be much appreciated!

Laina
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Laina » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:09 pm

Don't know about the water issue, because my dog was fine until a big wave got the best of him at the coast...anywhoo...the life vest I got him I found at Petsmart for $25.99 (large).

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_ ... 3787463528

They seem to do the trick, and if your dog is already used to wearing a harness it should be no big deal. There is a velcro strap that wraps around the dog's chest, and a the vest part connects around the rip cage by velcro.

Return to “Training and Behavior”