positive training

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
lovemylucy
Super Bully

positive training

Postby lovemylucy » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:47 pm

i just got the positive training book by pat miller and i am only on pg 13, but i love it........although i already sort of do positive reinforcement i am looking forward to learning more....i already can tell the difference with these two from my first pit

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:41 pm

It's a good book, you will find it helpful.Try also Don't Shoot The Dog by Karen Pryor.

Diane Jessup

re

Postby Diane Jessup » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:43 pm

Try also Don't Shoot The Dog by Karen Pryor.

Lots of people like that book - I couldn't get through it. Very boring to me.

There is also a book out there called Purely Postive by Shirely Booth that isn't bad. Ihaven't read the Miller book.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:50 pm

Lots of people like that book - I couldn't get through it. Very boring to me.

It took me some time to go back and re read some parts that I did not get right away.I blamed it on my English rather than the writting style, more chances for my English to be the problem! :oops:
I found the one written by Pat Miller a bit more "smooth" although I liked both.

Shoe Addict

Re: positive training

Postby Shoe Addict » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:50 am

lovemylucy wrote:i just got the positive training book by pat miller and i am only on pg 13, but i love it........although i already sort of do positive reinforcement i am looking forward to learning more....i already can tell the difference with these two from my first pit

I'm so glad you like it. My husband and I really liked it too. The way Miller writes, it's like she's right there in person, talking to you and explaining things to you.
I haven't read the Karen Pryor book, but Pat Miller uses Pryor's same methods, so it probably doesn't matter which book you read. Anyway, keep us updated on how clicker training works out for you. (And you can ignore my request under the "clicker training" thread; I didn't know you started this thread until after I posted on the other one.) :thumbsup:

Shoe Addict

Postby Shoe Addict » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:52 am

Red wrote:It's a good book, you will find it helpful.Try also Don't Shoot The Dog by Karen Pryor.

Red - Did you read the Miller book? I just loved it! Our friends are getting a puppy in the spring and I'm going to buy them a copy of that book. :))

lovemylucy
Super Bully

Postby lovemylucy » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:50 pm

i just found out that the trainer that is going to provide the cgc test for lucy also has over 20 years experience with training and 15 of that has been focused on positive training techniques........so monkey will be attending these classes next month....i wish i would have found her sooner so i could have taken lucy to her too.

Naplis Slim
Newborn Bully

Postby Naplis Slim » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:33 pm

And don't sleep on "The Working Pitbull".[/img]

Return to “Training and Behavior”