teaching her "NO"

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
crebma

teaching her "NO"

Postby crebma » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:47 am

Well, Mya can't seem to get a grip on what no means. It doesn't matter how stern I say it, I f I pull her away from what she's doing wrong, or anything. Not only does she not stop, but she thinks No means it's playtime. As soon as I say it, she's wagging her tail and jumping around and barking. Today, I got right in her face and said "NO NO, MYA!" And I got a huge scratch on my face from her pawing me to play. I have never said no and then went directly into play, and I like to believe that cris hasn't been doing that, but I don't know what to do with her. The rest of her training is going well, she sits and lays down and stays and comes. I'm even tecahing her to stand up. But no just seems impossible, and I do not want to abandon the positive reinforcement.

Any ideas?

crebma

Postby crebma » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:49 am

the other weird thing is (and I just found this out last night), when she is jumping around and barking and acting like a maniac, the only way to get her to calm down is to bark at her. I barked at her once and she shut up and let me pick her up. Strange.

crebma

Postby crebma » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:12 pm

any advice? she seems to be forgetting what gentle means, too... she playbites so hard that she made both cris and i bleed a little today.

heatherb
Newborn Bully

Postby heatherb » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:53 am

I do not agree in any sort of play biting, this could escalate into something larger later on.

crebma

Postby crebma » Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:00 pm

well, we are teaching her bite inhibition.she seems to have remembered about gentle, and she's doing really well. it's just the no that we're struggling with, but she's slowly learning that one too.

GreddysAngel
Addicted to PBF

Postby GreddysAngel » Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:31 pm

How old is she, and how old was she when you got her?

If shes young she may be teething. When she bited you, say NO BITE and give her something you would like her to bite instead (wet a cloth and freeze it, it will help with sore gums). Have toys, or appropriate things to bite laying around.

If she continues say NO BITE and walk away. Ignore her completely.

If she continues say NO BITE and give her a time out in her crate (or bathroom, somewhere she cannot get into anything) till she is calm.

Take her out when she is calm (maybe give her a small treat) and say good calm (or whatever word you chose) in a smooth quite voice.

Hope that helps a bit. Consistancy is the key, this wont work the first time (or even the fifth time). She will eventually learn that bitting means being alone and ignored!

ngmarlin

Postby ngmarlin » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:37 pm

I taught my dogs not to bite hard by, screaming and storming out of the room when ever they put on any presure at all. As far as no go's, they just eventaully caught on.

crebma

Postby crebma » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:38 pm

well, she was two months when we got her, and she should be about three and a half months now. i think she is just teething, but it's not just that. i think sometimes she just doesnt want us to leave.

today when i came home, she had been gated in teh kitchen for about four hours, and she just bit down on my arm hard and didn't let go. i think she knew i was going to have to go back to work (we work long, long hours on saturdays), and didn't want me to go. i have been just holding her little face and saying gentle! to her in a stern voice, and after two or three tries, she usually figures it out.

as far as putting her in her crate as punishment, i don't want to do that, but that's a good idea. maybe outside on her leash? or would that just teach her that outside is bad news?

as far as just hollering and ignoring her, she thinks that's the best game, and will even gnaw on our chairs on purpose to get us to pay attention to her again because she knows we'll do it. she'll look right at me when i holler at her and just start chewing the recliner, eyes still on mine. that, or she's barking and jumping around.

we are going to get her into an obedience class pretty soon, but for now, i'm just going to have to find a good place to put her when she's bad. i even tried to yipe when she bites too hard, but she just thinks i'm a huge squeaky toy. those squeaky toys were a bad idea, hahaha.

i will try the frozen washcloth deal. i have been giving her toys to chew on instead of me and my belongings, but of coruse, those just are not appealing, no matter how good of a girl i tell her she is. she's not a bad dog, though, she's just young, and we've never trained a puppy before. we're all learning!

thanks for all the good advice, we really appreciate it!!!
amber and cris

GreddysAngel
Addicted to PBF

Postby GreddysAngel » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:00 am

If you dont want to put her in the crate, try the bathroom. Somewhere where she wont be able to have any interaction with you at all.

Bitting = being alone = no fun

Return to “Training and Behavior”