kitty vs. doggy

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
loveriot

kitty vs. doggy

Postby loveriot » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:21 pm

We have 3 cats, and I'm having trouble getting my new puppy to stop chasing them. How do I teach him that they dont want to play with a big, abrasive puppy?

ZachMan

Postby ZachMan » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:21 am

Let him chase them, haha.

Buddi

Postby Buddi » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:11 pm

as sad as it is, only our cat could teach our dogs to leave them alone.
no matter how many times we would tell them no they only stopped when Tiger (cat) stopped running turned around and smacked the on the nose, that would happen 2-3 times, after that the dog stopped chasing the cat.
however our family dog at the time was a keeshound and i know pitties are diffrent so that may not work but thought id share.

jerzey

Postby jerzey » Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:15 pm

ZachMan wrote:Let him chase them, haha.

HAHA aside, its ture

we have 3 cats and Ren learns when too much is too much he comes up to me with a bloody nose and i knw he got his butt handed to him

when we see ren play with them and get wild we say "be nice" then he clams down, he will open his jaw and act ike he is going to bite but never does,
if he gets too wild we break it up, but 99% of the time they all play just fine

loveriot

true...

Postby loveriot » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:24 pm

Its true that the dog is best taught by the cat, but my dog only has one good eye, and I dont want to r un therisk of his good one getting scratched. I wouldn't mind him getting a little beat up, he has to learn that they are not toys, I'm just worried about his eye!

BullyBreedLover

Postby BullyBreedLover » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:32 pm

<~~~~ Silly girl me has 4 cats and 3 dogs. I actually have my house set up for them. I have a small den room which i put up a baby gate in the door way. This way the cats can jump in and out as they please but the dogs know they better keep their puppy butts on the right side of the gate! The cats have the litter boxes and food and toys in the room. They come out and mingle but if the dogs are being a pain in the behind they can go back to thier little retreat!.
Sonya

Darlazmum
Forum Junky

Postby Darlazmum » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:15 pm

Ah, Steph,Darla never NEVER NEVERstops chasing the cats and one of themPeanut - kicks her butt EVERY day. I am hoping they are going to get along better when they're. Your cats seem way more friendly than my boogers do.. They'll kick his butt too if they have to. I don't have any tricks, sometimes when it gets out of hand (ie. Darla will NOT stop chasing them)we tell her to leave it and distract her with other things...

Foxwood
Newborn Bully

Postby Foxwood » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:29 pm

We had to seperate the sections of the house. Jada will terrorize them, no matter HOW scratched up she gets! Its called prey drive, and she can't stop until she gets it. She's never actually gotten ahold of them, or really close, but she has gotten quite scratched up. So we have the top floor of our house reserved for the indoor cat. We have a baby gate set up at the bottom of the steps with railings large enough for the cat to get through, but not Jada. She has to stay in the basement(where I live) at night, and isn't allowed on the main floor, so the cat can come down and hang out here.
Jada also wears a collar with her tags on it, so when she goes out, the barn cats can here her.

We've just learned that they have to be separated, and then we have no problems. Luckily our cat doesn't mind staying upstairs, so we never have incidents with her coming into Jada's area.

Sariss
Bully Ambassador

Postby Sariss » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:09 pm

My one cat got fed up and ripped a huge chunk out of my dog's nose. That stopped it for me, but of course it wouldn't work for every dog.

Return to “Training and Behavior”