Your dog wears a collar....

24 hours a day, 365 days a year
66%
Usually, though sometimes I will take it off for a few hours for a break
34%

Total votes: 44

Conan&Rosie

Postby Conan&Rosie » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:02 pm

Always, except for an hour hear and there when they get a bath - but they have to stay in the house until the collar goes back on.

dr961
Super Bully

Re: collars

Postby dr961 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:17 pm

Diane Jessup wrote:20 years in animal control taught me there is NO reason to take the dog's collar off. You never know when an earthquake might hit, or a car wreck that can result in a released dog, etc.

***You are so right! I recently adopted a big lunkheaded AmStaffy female who was picked up as a stray in the KC area and put in a shelter that only keeps dogs 7 days before euthanasia. When she came in she was in good weight and had on a collar but no ID tags. If she had a chip no one could find it. I can't help thinking someone is missing this dog, as she was obviously someone's spoiled housepet. If she had had ID tags or even a rabies tag attached to her collar she could have probably been reunited with her owner.

Also, I can't imagine having more than one dog and not keeping collars on them--what if you need to grab one quickly?

Sivart
Newborn Bully

Postby Sivart » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:23 pm

We keep Brujha's collar on all day during the day. As much as I'd like to leave it on at night as well, with 3 tags (license, rabies, ID) she wakes us up everytime she moves around if we do. I tried sewing the tags flat onto the collar, but the tags are just slightly wider than the collar, so there was a metal edge hanging over, and she started to get a sore on her neck from it.

Travis

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:30 pm

What do you think about having a collar with contact # embroidered on and no tags?

Jasmine's been walking around naked for a short while since she's obsessive about the reflections her dog tags make. She's eaten a chair, a loveseat, and a bit of the couch.... not to mention rubbed her nose bloody trying to eat the reflections.

I don't know what to do--- we plan to have all the dogs chipped, but are still scraping together the extra funds.

Help?

MangyLu
www.michigananimalrescueleague.org

Postby MangyLu » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:11 pm

Allie wrote:What do you think about having a collar with contact # embroidered on and no tags?

Jasmine's been walking around naked for a short while since she's obsessive about the reflections her dog tags make. She's eaten a chair, a loveseat, and a bit of the couch.... not to mention rubbed her nose bloody trying to eat the reflections.

I don't know what to do--- we plan to have all the dogs chipped, but are still scraping together the extra funds.

Help?

Embroidered collar would work but it might cost you more then a microchip. Can you get a tag that is not reflective?

I had MangyLu chipped with HomeAgain for $40 at my vet :D

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:21 pm

Thanks!
I just ordered an embroidered collar ($12) for her a short while ago. We're waiting for it to arrive in the mail. (She's VERY excited :)) )

I think our vet will do HomeAgain chips for $28-$30... but with four dogs it adds up. We'll do the girls first and then the boys later.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:07 pm

almost always, both for id purposes and in case i need something to grab.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:54 pm

Loki wears a collar with ID tags most of the time. She wears a choke without tags while training, getting wet, or if she's just had her flea prevention put on (nylon & leather can absorb the stuff, making it less effective). Once in a while she's butt-nekkid in the house, generally if she's been itching at her neck a lot, or the collar is beginning to discolor her fur.

doberkim

Re: re

Postby doberkim » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:38 pm

Diane Jessup wrote:20 years in animal control taught me there is NO reason to take the dog's collar off. You never know when an earthquake might hit, or a car wreck that can result in a released dog, etc.

The #1 excuse given for picking up stray dogs with no id was "I was giving them a bath and hadn't put it on again". Stupid - I bath my dog with collar on... you'll want to when you leave it on!!! :)

i dont live in an earthquake area :) the minute new england gets an earthquake im moving out.. (though we ARE on a fault line technically) the worst "natural" disaster i can get is a snowstorm, and believe me the dogs are in the house for that :) in the car, both dogs wear harnesses - i do not use collars when in crates for the same reason they are not left alone in collars - they can get stuck on things and can kill them. i never said they were not collared in the car - each dog has their tags on when in the car and when they leave the house. they still remain nekkid when IN the house.

i use microchips and bowie will be tattooed if i can ever make the clinic and decide what i actually want on him. however, for him i have been wavering because honestly to see the tattoo you would need to have him rolled over - and chances of that happening is slim to none in a shelter or vet situation. both dogs have tags on their respective normal gear when they leave the house (harness for bowie, collar for mya) with my contact info, my vets contact info, and that they require medication so vets should be contacted ASAP.

my only real worry is what ever happens if there is ever a fire in the house - however, collar or no collar, the main concern is someone being able to get the dogs safely out of the house without being bitten, and that is irrespective of bowie wearing something.

ive worked with animal control for over 7 years - in fact, that is where bowie came from. there are reasons why people do NOT leave collars on their dogs at home - in fact, for many people who have multiple dogs (of breeds that CAN be left alone together)there is the recommendation to NOT leave collars on the dogs if they are left together precisely BECAUSE they can injure themselves - i personally had to remove a dog from a crate after it broke its own neck trying to get its metal choker off the crate. i have a friend who lost a puppy when the older dog got its tooth stuck in the puppies collar and it couldnt get it out and the puppy essentially was strangled accidentally. (of course, compounded by the metal training collar, which the dog had no business wearing as a daily collar anyway!)

i think the perspective of having a breed that logistically is not LEFT alone with other breeds, skews the responses in that respect. many dobe owners i know struggle with it, and many do NOT leave collars on their dogs when not at home. my dogs are trusted loose every day with 2 cats and do just fine, but i do not have a pit bull in the mix right now.

Piscator

Postby Piscator » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:47 pm

My dog, Fagan, was naked almost all the time (sorry diane), except for walks and trips in the car. We lived in a very woodsy place and he was very well trained. Never allowed out alone to his own devises.

My new pup, Thunder, is only naked when crated. Be mindfull that a collar can catch on crates and cages causing the dog to panic and injure himself.

Sean W.
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Sean W. » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:00 am

My dogs have had collars on since the day I got them. They were walking on leash by week 9. Only time I take a collar off is when taking a bath. I've had them since the beginning of the year and have never had them get hung or get caught on cages or anything else. Theoratically, sure. But how often is that possible? Likelihood seems low to me. :dunno:

I'm about to get them microchipped as they play so ruff and grab each others collars so frequently I'm afraid they will try and eat the tags. They try to eat everything they get their mouth on as it is.

Piscator

Postby Piscator » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:31 am

sean w, It's not a theory, it's a fact. :roll: I've seen it happen twice in two weeks after the kids put him in the cage. Even thought the house rule is to take his collar off if he is put in the cage. Kids don't always remember the rules.
Do what you like, hopefully it'll be alright.

silverpearl
Adolescent Bully

Postby silverpearl » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:49 am

My dogs only wear their collars when they go outside, even if it's just a five minute romp in the yard to go potty. Otherwise I have to listen to jingling tags nonstop in the house. You never realize how quiet it is in the house until you hear one annoyingly constant noise! lol

My dog got his tags hooked into the carpet somehow, it made him freak out and tear a HUGE piece of the carpeting back before anyone could get to him and remove the collar. So no collars in the house for me. My horses don't wear their halters anymore either after one of them got it hooked into the hay rack and actally freaked out so much she fell into the rack and now has permanent back problems. :frown: So, maybe it's just me, but I've had too many bad experiences to let another one happen again!

MangyLu
www.michigananimalrescueleague.org

Postby MangyLu » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:59 am

Piscator wrote:sean w, It's not a theory, it's a fact. :roll: I've seen it happen twice in two weeks after the kids put him in the cage. Even thought the house rule is to take his collar off if he is put in the cage. Kids don't always remember the rules.

I agree. All it takes is once...

Foxwood
Newborn Bully

Postby Foxwood » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:40 pm

MangyLu wrote:
Piscator wrote:sean w, It's not a theory, it's a fact. :roll: I've seen it happen twice in two weeks after the kids put him in the cage. Even thought the house rule is to take his collar off if he is put in the cage. Kids don't always remember the rules.

I agree. All it takes is once...

A woman I used to work with adopted a hound from the shelter, an altered, very chill male. Love to just sleep in his crate. She had him at work(a previous job) and stuck him in his crate to go check on something. She came back, and he had gotten it hung on something, and was so freaked out, he was twisting himself around and around, strangling himself more and more. She was RIGHT there when it happened, and it took 3 people to CUT the collar off it was so tight.

I will NEVER leave a dog in the crate with a collar on, too risky!

Return to “Training and Behavior”