House training later in life?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
blackbear219

House training later in life?

Postby blackbear219 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:53 pm

Ok...I hate this dog.

My girlfriend has a Yorkshire Terrier/Maltese.

He weighs about 7 pounds and is a little bastard. Jenn got him when he was around 5 or 6 months old from a lady that had raised him up until that point as paper trained.

So, for the past year or so that Jenn has had him...she puts newspaper down in a corner and that is where he goes pee and poop (in theory)

In reality, he pees wherever the hell he wants, it seems. I got to her place the other day and found a couple wet spots on the carpet. He poops under the futon she uses for a couch sometimes.

Beau usually sleeps on the bed with Jenn and I (well, he starts out on the floor but he always ends up on the bed) and 3 or 4 mornings in a row, after I had left for work and Jenn was in the shower getting ready for work, her dog pissed on the bed. After a couple savage beatings from me, it was obvious that either this dog has to change or I'm simply going to throw it in the river. (Don't get me wrong, I'm a dog lover through and through...but this thing is barely even a dog...)

Someones, he poops by the door also. Finally I told her, "Enough of this chocolate" and am forcing her to try and housetrain this stupid dog.

He pees outside okay, but he almost never poops outside. He won't go, no matter how long she stays outside with him and then when you bring him back inside, he usually just waits until no one is looks and then poops where he can.

Is it going to be possible to housetrain this dog thats been going on newspaper since he was a puppy?
Last edited by blackbear219 on Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blover27

Postby blover27 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:00 pm

After a couple savage beatings from me, it was obvious that either this dog has to change or I'm simply going to throw it in the river. (Don't get me wrong, I'm a dog lover through and through...but this thing is barely even a dog...)

I got no advice for you but this was funny as h*ll roflmao now before you get bashed you should say J/K :naughty: lol

good luck!

blackbear219

Postby blackbear219 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:07 pm

blover27 wrote:
After a couple savage beatings from me, it was obvious that either this dog has to change or I'm simply going to throw it in the river. (Don't get me wrong, I'm a dog lover through and through...but this thing is barely even a dog...)

I got no advice for you but this was funny as h*ll roflmao now before you get bashed you should say J/K :naughty: lol

good luck!

Seriously though...he has no idea what it means to be a dog. Obviously the lady that sold him to my girlfriend at 5-6 months old didn't do much with him if she wanted to sell him that soon after getting him.

Jenn just lets him run around the house all day while he pisses and poops on his newspaper because he works long days. Not to mention she talks to the dog in plain english like she thinks he's going to understand complete sentences :roll:

If someone accidently happens to leave the door open an inch he runs outside and he's gone, no idea what "come" means. He just pisses me off.

Maybe if he had been properly trained, things would be better...but how smart can a dog with a brain the size of a M&M be? :twisted:

JB

Re: House training later in life?

Postby JB » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:34 pm

blackbear219 wrote:He weighs about 7 pounds and is a little bastard.

This is my favourite part.

That was a great rant.

TheMissingSock

Postby TheMissingSock » Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:03 pm

i know what you mean. those little "punt" dogs can get away with so much more because they are small.

the psycho-maltese down the street (6 lbs) bit Brewser's nose so hard it made him cry and bleed. Imagine if the tables had been reversed and my pit bull puppy would have bit that little beast.

i'm sorry i have nothing helpful to add, just that i feel your pain; alot of those little "yippy" dogs can be stubborn - more so than our big dogs

good luck!

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:52 pm

buy a crate. hold a gun to g/f's head. make her use it.

no potty outside, no freedom.

one of the vets i work for says a dog has to weigh 50 lbs in order to have a skull big enough to house a functional brain.... roflmao

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:54 pm

Well I rescued a dog that was 7 years old and had never been house broken, leash trained, had a collar on or anything else dogs are supposed to accept and do. She just jumped on the sofa and did her business if she felt like it.
I called a trainer and we started obedience classes right away. The theory being, she would bond and have respect for me if I became her alpha person. We went to 2 classes and she has not pooped or peed in my house since and I have had her for 3 years now.
I think that your girlfriend is the one that you should beat, not the dog. The g.f is the one that is supposed to have the thinking brain.
The dog has not beeb shown/taught or made to obey anything. Try the N.I.L.F. program, it works. :peace:

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:11 pm

I doubt you'll find that many folks on a Pitbull board too overly fond of very spoiled, unnatual tiny toy dogs. I myself like pugs ok but they aren't real typical for toys.

Good luck, I'm glad its not my dog.

blackbear219

Postby blackbear219 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:59 am

Chris wrote:I doubt you'll find that many folks on a Pitbull board too overly fond of very spoiled, unnatual tiny toy dogs.

And does it sounds like I am? lol

Pugs are cool though

McGoose
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby McGoose » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:14 am

I have the same problem. The wife brought a seven year old pom into our relationship, so I've had no real choice but to accept her. She was, however, a single dog at one point. And then when we moved in together, she had to put up with my cat (long story, I hate cats), which wasn't bad since Mookie (cat) pretty much stays to herself (the only thing that's saved her from being taken to the SPCA). My step son's grandparents brought him ANOTHER cat, which is much more gregarious and outgoing than my cat. Then, about eight months ago, I came home from the vet with McGoose, a five month old pit.

Katie, the pom, is in absolute hell. She's gone from being the queen, to being an afterthought. McG now pretty much nudges her out of any situation....."accidentally". McG eats Katie's food. When we are out walking, she slowly veers into Katie, taking away her "territory".

Maybe the girlfriend's dog is "feeling" slighted.

Or, maybe it's a devil rat and you should slip it poison.

J/K

Sorta.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:24 am

I don't know, it could be pretty difficult to housetrain this dog at this point. A lot of the toy breeds tend to be difficult to housetrain anyway. I like toys fine, BTW, they aren't stupid, it's just that noone trains them. But they can be tough to housebreak.

I'd confine the dog so he can't keep messing all over the house... that won't help. Crate training might work, it's worth a shot. And get the dog into obedience classes!

Return to “Training and Behavior”