Biking with your bully

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:02 am

Do you think that works better than the product they sell for this, like the springer?

That works better for me and my dogs.My main issue is safety and in the case of a loose dog I want to have the leash on my hand instead of getting off of the bike (which I'd do anyway) and waste time removing the dog from the springer.Also if I fall my dogs can't go anywhere while if attached on the springer they might drag the bike for a few feet.Like I said folks use the springer and never had a problem, it is just my personal choice to use a different set up.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:20 pm

:thumbsup: GREAT PICS!!!! WOW.. .that gave me the jealous tingles!

I too bike with my doggies (well havent yet THIS SEASON) .. Michigan yanno..L O L >

I just use a leash..but your set up looks fantastic.

My biggest concern too was "loosing" the dog incase I do fall over, as I do bike in the suburbs.
So I just hang onto the leash.

We practice "Stop" "right"(turn right) and LEFT (turn left) , and WHOOOOOOAAAAA (aggggh going to fast!)

But I have to say BIKING IS GREAT GREAT GREAT in anyway. And what GREAT excercise for your dog and of course for us too.

But your TRAIL PICS have me just so JEALOUS !! I hadnt even THOUGHT about that!!

:bowdown: groooovy!!

Lixx
Adolescent Bully

Postby Lixx » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:59 pm

Thank you so much! I have been wanted to do this with my boys for awhile.

Anguissette

Postby Anguissette » Wed May 03, 2006 7:54 am

Thanks so much for this. One of the reasons I joined the forums was to get info about doing this with my pup. Very helpful. Could you maybe give me some more specifics about how you trained them with the bike?

Albertorey

Postby Albertorey » Sun May 28, 2006 11:29 am

I ride my bike and my dogs just stay next to me. I don't use any leash they are running free.
I ride next to the Danube here in Budapest. There is no cars at all and usually the only living thing that I meet while biking it's few birds !

zoeysmom

Red, that was great.

Postby zoeysmom » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:22 am

a complete tutorial.

I plan on doing that with PJ as soon as she gets more commands under belt. :bowdown: :bowdown:

Itsapitty
Super Bully

Postby Itsapitty » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:53 pm

Based on all the advise I've seen on this forum, I've got Olive set up for riding with me on my off-road scooter. I've got a CDPits harness and FreeLeash hands-free leash (which I modified a bit). So far we've tried it around the yard and a few loops through the neighborhood and it's really fuN!

You can see the setup in the second pic pretty well. The leash had come with this elastic belt thing that did not work, so I took the attachment piece and put it on a normal belt. Also got a stronger clip for the attachment. It does have a quick release plastic latch and it I like the bit of elastic in the leash so it has a bit of give before it goes tight.

Tova
Newborn Bully

Postby Tova » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:52 pm

Red, what is the item you mentioned that you keep in case you encounter stray dogs?

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:52 pm

Red, what is the item you mentioned that you keep in case you encounter stray dogs?

I PMed you about it.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:53 am

Just wanted to thank you for posting this information. I just bought a bike, and am going to start biking with Loki.

MazyStarr
Adolescent Bully

Postby MazyStarr » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:56 am

Here in Calgary, Alberta it is against the law to ride your bike or rollerblade with your dog on a leash (within City limits).

I take my girls biking out in the woods where they are off leash and can run at their own pace stopping if they need to.

How can you tell how tired, hot and overworked your dog is getting when you are coasting along on your bike and they are being pulled along by a leash?

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:14 pm

How can you tell how tired, hot and overworked your dog is getting when you are coasting along on your bike and they are being pulled along by a leash?

Some dogs let you know when they are tired, they slow down and start "hanging back".With others, like one of my females, it is a little harder cause she would prefer to collapse before she stops doing something (chasing boomer balls, riding along the bike).Always have water with you and slow down or stop when the dog seems to be tired.A lot of heavy panting, hyperventilation (deep breathing) and increased salivation can be sign of overheating and overwork.Be very careful when it is humid cause it is harder for the dog to regulate the body temperature.It is better to stop many times instead of risking overheating. Especially now that it is so hot.

beemerchef
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby beemerchef » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:11 am

I have tried to have Spirit run next to me while on my cycle...

... but it did not work out... he was too slow... so I got him his own car...

he loves it now...

... I AM SORRY... I had to throw in some "humor"... This chance was one in a million!

On a serious note, as we are getting ready to get on the road for a few years, I think a bike would be a great addition to excercise as you do, specially since we will be in a lot of remote and beautiful places... great set up and thanks for sharing.

You be well...

isa

Postby isa » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:20 am

I also go on biking with my dog 2 or 3 times a week, but Vidocq (my dog) is attaches directly to the bike so that I haven't got to pedal :))
I use two different leashes for that: a normal one and an elastic one so that when Vidocq is pulling, there is no sputter.

Vidocq LOVES it and it is really benefic for him

one of the requirements to enjoy full speed biking is to be nuts cause there is always the risk of falling.Yup, sooner or later, it might happen.

it's done! :)) roflmao

SueN
Matured Bully

Postby SueN » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:23 pm

I ride my bike with mine as well. I don't use the springer but just what I call a kennel lead and I have never had a problem. It is a great PR tool my neighbor's and people I don't know always stop and say how well trained he is. I let him set his pace and did get his heart checked before I made it a routine though.

Return to “Training and Behavior”