Biking with your bully

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
nic
Forum Junky

Postby nic » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:27 pm

I have cycled with many different breeds,including the Staffords.I remember one day I misjudged a small step and fell off,straight on top of Suzie,lol I think she thought it was the biggest smack she'd ever had,and was jumping all over me whilst i lay on the floor roflmao

My worst accident was when I was cycling my 2 Boxers,I saw a stick coming out of a bush,on my side,but I thought it would bend back when I hit it...it DIDN'T. My right side was caught by it,the dogs were running on the left side of the bike...they kept going!!!
I landed on the floor,on my left hip,I looked behind and the bike was easily 5 feet behind me,I had flown superman style with the dogs!
My poor hip,it was SO bruised for ages.

I can't cycle with Boo now due to an old injury,him,not me.I'm looking forward to my Terv being old enough to come running next to a bike,watching a Herding breed next to the bike is quite different to a Bull breed,they just are SO effortless.

ZiggysMom
Super Bully

Postby ZiggysMom » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:11 pm

I bike with my boy all the time! It's about the only way to really get him enough exercise without completely killing myself. I just hold the leash-- I'm not really comfortable with having it on my waist, especially in case of squirrels and rabbits.

I also bike with Ziggy on my right, so he's not on the "traffic" side of the bike. It would make me really nervous, since we really don't have any bike lanes where I live. Does left work OK for you guys? Why did you pick the left side? I know it's the classic heel side for obedience training, but I've always had a personal preference for heeling on the right... just me.

BlueLemonade
Adolescent Bully

Postby BlueLemonade » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:02 pm

i just posted about things to do that my dog would enjoy-this would be awesome!!! i live in texas though and work nights, do you know if they have any reflective clothing for dogs so i could ride with her at night? for heats sake, and cuz thats when i'm active-

ZiggysMom
Super Bully

Postby ZiggysMom » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:30 pm

They make battery-powered light-up collars... they're very visible!

babypit
Newborn Bully

Postby babypit » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:28 am

ZiggysMom wrote:I bike with my boy all the time! It's about the only way to really get him enough exercise without completely killing myself. I just hold the leash-- I'm not really comfortable with having it on my waist, especially in case of squirrels and rabbits.

I also bike with Ziggy on my right, so he's not on the "traffic" side of the bike. It would make me really nervous, since we really don't have any bike lanes where I live. Does left work OK for you guys? Why did you pick the left side? I know it's the classic heel side for obedience training, but I've always had a personal preference for heeling on the right... just me.

I also have a preference for heeling on the right, even though everyone says the left. I am also WAY more comfortable with my dog being on the right when I bike. However, I did notice that if I have the leash in my right hand, and I need to slow down, that basically leaves me only my left hand to break with. On my bike, the LEFT hand break control is for the FRONT brake, and only breaking with the front break is scary. So in that circumstance, I could see why teaching her (and myself) to be on the left could be good. Either that, or get a leash that attaches to my waist.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:41 pm

What the heck is CD Pits harness and how do I find one? I googled it and only found threads about it?

Also where can I find the heavy duty hardware you all use?

Thanks!

babypit
Newborn Bully

Postby babypit » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:46 pm

akaspaddero wrote:What the heck is CD Pits harness and how do I find one? I googled it and only found threads about it?

Also where can I find the heavy duty hardware you all use?

Dunno about the hardware, but this is the link for the CD Pit harnesses:

http://www.itsmysite.com/cdpits/

What do you mean by hardware? Like leashes? Or more like the clips?

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:51 pm

Thanks for the link...

By hardware I mean the clips.
Thanks!

ZiggysMom
Super Bully

Postby ZiggysMom » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:03 pm

I deal with the front-brake problem by having a front brake that sucks. It doesn't stop the bike abruptly enough to be dangerous.

When I get a new bike though, I'm thinking of swapping the brake cables so the rear brake is on the left. Much safer.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:55 pm

We went for our first ride today...WE don't have grass or sand. What can I put on their paws so they don't get hurt? Is there some ointment or something so they won't peel?

ZiggysMom
Super Bully

Postby ZiggysMom » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:15 am

I never had a problem with my pup's paws, and we ride on concrete all the time. How long was your first run? How long is he used to walking on hard/rough surfaces? He may just need to start slow and work up calluses, like me at the beginning of summer when I first start going barefoot.

babypit
Newborn Bully

Postby babypit » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:48 am

akaspaddero wrote:We went for our first ride today...WE don't have grass or sand. What can I put on their paws so they don't get hurt? Is there some ointment or something so they won't peel?

I haven't had a problem yet either, but since the op said to watch out for it, I was checking her paws often, and they were getting worn.

I bought Bark'n Boots to try out.

http://www.ruffwear.com/grip_trex_dog_b ... ategory=11

They've arrived, but my bike is in the shop (they are also switching the brakes while I'm there), so I haven't had a chance yet to try them out. I'll let you know how they work out...

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:59 am

ZiggysMom wrote:I never had a problem with my pup's paws, and we ride on concrete all the time. How long was your first run? How long is he used to walking on hard/rough surfaces? He may just need to start slow and work up calluses, like me at the beginning of summer when I first start going barefoot.

We just rode for 10 minutes. My one dog plays flyball and I would hate to pull him b/c his pads are pealing. So, I want to be safe rather than sorry. Maddie lost a little hair, so I just cleaned it with soap and water. She isn't use to concrete at all, except for our walks.

nygemma
Matured Bully

Postby nygemma » Tue May 08, 2007 12:24 pm

I bought myself a new mountain bike Sunday. Test drove it with Cesar, first he pulled me and it was WHEEE scary.
Then I took the little old dog with us and Cesar slowed down, knowing the old dog couldn't go too fast. For my first run with 2 dogs, we did really well.
I installed a cheap combo light kit from walmart, schwinn, headlight and rear blinky light. Took the boys out last night and they did well.
Then I just took Cesar alone, and he did very well, running. He too stayed very focused on running and paid no attention to cats, barking dogs, etc.
I bought these reflector "slap" bands, I'm going to put one on his collar tonight, it should have some height to it, the way it's rolled, b/c he's black and I'm still scared cars might not see him.
Luckily there is not a lot of traffic at night in my subdivision.
I use a plain old nylon harness on him and he just runs on my right side. It didn't take him long to learn to watch out for the tire.
I just use a leash and so far so good. It's fun to ride, like a little kid, and it will wear him out quicker and easier!

Randa

Biking with dogs!!!

Postby Randa » Fri May 11, 2007 1:20 pm

HOW COOL!!!

This is my first post but I can't help myself!!

I have biked with my dogs for years. Ideally, its really no harder than jogging with a dog.
After the leash work is DECENT (NO pulling with distraction and formal heal is recognizeable) we start bike work.
The basics of holding position and ignoring distraction are the same and I think easier to learn when having a fun trot the bike, and therefore more opertunity for success and praise. (Its easier for me to up the pace when a potential distraction arises.)

Since I started biking, I did add the verbal " EASY" for slowing gait while on leash so he knows what is expected.

I prefer to use the over the shoulder, hands free "euro lead" and a flat collar. That keeps my hands on the bike and the dog still fully under control. I NEED to see my dogs gait as we ride to better adjust my speed for his comfort level. Sagging topline and tail is a sure sign its time to slow down and head home!!

This really is something the HUMAN needs to learn, rather than the dog. Handling a bike for slow figure 8's, learning that you ALWAYS pass on the same side of sign posts, how to guage surfaces (bricks can be HOT well into evening and lovely boardwalks often have jagged nails) as well as what your area traffic patterns are. START SLOW, walking the bike.
If you aren't NOT coordinated and fall off the bike and crash regularly, (like my husband) you can try the springy or bar things. They have saved HIS poor dog many times. I don't like them though. I need to see my dog.

Every dog is different too. As an example, every dog I have ever ridden with has trotted in the left "heal position" while I am seated on the bike. My young Dane however prefers his eyes level with the handlebars. He seems to like being able to see and his periferal vision is excellent for our turns, so we haven't had problems. He does return to the "correct" position for slower crowd type weaving so... live and learn.

Also, don't expect 100% crowd approval. My happy dogs gently trotting in postion on loose lead (that is also touching the right side of my neck as it over my shoulder!!) seems to make many people think I am cruel. Load snarls of "That DOG needs a bike!!" or " What if he has to PEE???" are fairly common. Knowing how happy it makes my dogs is enough to keep us going though. Also, riding in the burbs, due to speed you might surpise otherwise diligent owners of off leash dogs that aren't friendly. You MUST be aware of your surroundings, so leave the head phones at home.

It really is BIG fun, so at least try. You won't get better if you don't pratice.
Randa
(ignore typos and translate accordingly, please)

Return to “Training and Behavior”