Biking with your bully

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
MANSTAFF
Matured Bully

Postby MANSTAFF » Fri May 11, 2007 7:29 pm

I purchased a springer and it was the best investment I have made for my dog and myself. As soon as the snow cleared I was mountain biking, getting Jax used to my commands, with a leash attached to my waist and heeling on my left. Now that I have the springer I have two hands on the bars and I am without worry. I pitched the plastic hooks and safety release and replaced it with a two foot bungy horse lead with heavy duty buckles this works awsome!! I keep a leash and plastic poop bags and we ride so frequently Jax actually slows me down when it's time for a POOP.
We go at 5:00 in the morning and around 9:00 at night it bags us both out. Here we are at night.
BLINK!
Here's the lead I recommend, in place of the safety release.
With all these activities for your dog, there is no excuse to sit and watch Animal Planet until the run is done.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Sat May 12, 2007 10:40 am

Awesome!

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sat May 12, 2007 11:36 pm

Manstaff, that's great the springer works for you.
Since you work your dog when it is dark it might be a good idea to purchase a reflective collar or those that blink when activated.Your bike should have some lights as well, for safety.It probably already does.
I used to slap a light reflective vest on my dogs, under their harnesses, when we were running at night.Or reflective collars.Then I got new harnesses from CD pits with reflectve stripes so I did not need the vest anymore.
You can find those collars on line or at pet stores in your area.Just an idea.

MANSTAFF
Matured Bully

Postby MANSTAFF » Sun May 13, 2007 12:07 am

I guess you can't see his ezydog collar it's reflective. My cdpits harness should be here this week.
Thanks for the advice, I will start using my headlight as I have a headlight bracket already mounted I just haven't been using it. :peace:

babypit
Newborn Bully

Postby babypit » Fri May 18, 2007 12:24 pm

Does anyone have any alternative suggestions for good working/walking harnesses that they like, aside from CD Pits?

Took a look at their site, and love their stuff, but they've been rather unresponsive to me - several weeks and a few emails later.

I really want to get started with the biking. Got my bike maintenenced, and the brakes switched. Her boots are here. All we need is a harness. I don't really want to take her out in a collar...

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Fri May 18, 2007 4:00 pm

babypit wrote:Does anyone have any alternative suggestions for good working/walking harnesses that they like, aside from CD Pits?

Took a look at their site, and love their stuff, but they've been rather unresponsive to me - several weeks and a few emails later.

I really want to get started with the biking. Got my bike maintenenced, and the brakes switched. Her boots are here. All we need is a harness. I don't really want to take her out in a collar...

if you haven't done so already, i'd PM cindy (username=cdpits). i find that PMs are quicker and more reliable than emails. (emails might get nabbed by spam blocking software). i ordered a harness from cdpits by PMing cindy, and she had really great customer service. very helpful and her harness's are GREAT! :thumbsup:

babypit
Newborn Bully

Postby babypit » Fri May 18, 2007 4:05 pm

Excellent! Thanks! :-)

Didn't realize she was on this forum...

underrated831

HELP

Postby underrated831 » Mon May 21, 2007 10:13 pm

I tried to take my APBT biking this afternoon. First I started by walking on the bike and he was walking fine next to me, as I started biking though, he kept tryng bite the bike! I told him off and he stopped. I slowed down and we started over, then he ran in front of the bike and bit the tire. We tried again, and he bit my leg! Anyone have any idea why he's biting me? How do I get him to jus run and stop attacking the bike and my legs?

jessandace
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jessandace » Wed May 30, 2007 6:26 am

seth (bf) started biking with cocoa yesterday because we cant find any other way to tire her out (she's not a retriever like ace) and i think it went well. We need to get her something to protect her pads but its great exercise for her and seth. We had a very peaceful evening because both dogs were happy and tired. :thumbsup:

jjayf
Newborn Bully

Postby jjayf » Wed May 30, 2007 9:13 am

For you experienced dog/bike riders about how far do you go with your dog? I already run with my dog about four to five miles on an average day (when I'm home) I'm currently in Thailand. I'm just wondering what kind of milage is safe for my dogs joints. I plan on increasing the milage slowly whe I get back and work out with him but what I am wondering is how far is too far...( of course the Iditarod is 1150 miles in 10 to 14 days)...

Silvana406

Postby Silvana406 » Wed May 30, 2007 1:49 pm

Fiona and I started walking 4 miles a day and then jogging 4 miles a day and now biking 4 miles a day BUT in this warm weather she is not into it as much. She is done within two miles and wants to go home and so she stops and refused to move :-) She used to LOVE biking and would go for miles and miles and still not be tired but it's OK she'll be my partner again in September for now we do a couple of miles and she's happy for the day.

ZiggysMom
Super Bully

Postby ZiggysMom » Thu May 31, 2007 9:57 pm

Ziggy and I go 3-5 miles most days, up to 8 miles if the weather's perfect. He will go further when it's cooler. We went almost 9 miles today, because we were biking with a friend. He was pooped by the end of it!

FreeRideJunkie
Bully Ambassador

Postby FreeRideJunkie » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:43 am

While I have not read every post, I did read the first. As an avid cyclist (road and mountain racer) I am thrilled to see this!!

imperiumx1st

Postby imperiumx1st » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:42 am

lol i never seen a dog just lie there y u spray em with a hose lol
roflmao roflmao

Ruffian
Newborn Bully

Postby Ruffian » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:27 pm

Nice pictures.

I have been biking my dog for the past 5-6 weeks now and have to agree it is the most fun. Lily loves it - it is a great way to get her some good exercise (other than the flirt pole).

I got the WalkyDog attachment - it works very well, attaches to the bike, has a spring inside the tube to allow some play and has a quick detach at the base that allows you to use it as a leash (when you have to stop to let them take care of 'business').

http://walkydogusa.com/dog-biking-product.htm

I also run the dog on my right - that keeps me between her and the vehicles on the road - previously I had her run on the left (to be consistent with the heel) but had vehicles coming to close to her (as they moved from my lane to the next lane) and spooking her (and me too!!).

Return to “Training and Behavior”