Biking with your bully

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Phoenix1984
Newborn Bully

Postby Phoenix1984 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:59 am

Thor runs upto an hour (he'd probably do more if I let him :)) )
Misty has had less training and I usually stop at 30 minutes mostly due to the fact that I don't want to hurt her feet (it took her a while to get used to walking in the right position lol )

To protect feet I use Vaseline (not sure of US term for it... lol), it keeps the pads nice and flexibel.
Both the dogs wear a harnass and I hold the leash in my hands, allthough that off hand leash looks great too!! Both of them walk on the right side (instead of left, they adjust pretty quick and understand that right side = biking time...hihi) just to protect them from cars and stuff.
I really enjoy biking and this is the only way my boy can really release his energy, at least, until I get round to making his spring pole :peace:

amyd
Bully Ambassador

Postby amyd » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:27 am

I am very excited as I got a bike for my birthday! Now, I have to wait until spring :po:

lms
Newborn Bully

Postby lms » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:21 am

Hello there. I was reading this post about biking. Up here in Holland we train a lot of biking to conditioning our dogs and train for an Iron Dog or other heavy sportevent. When my dogs have age for 18 weeks i take my mountainbike to the woods and make them learn what a bike is. After that i try slowly a half mile whit the dog unleashed. If the dog thinks its fun then i build every time up the distance. My pits are now 6&8 months old but i don't walk much because they like it more to walk near the bike and get loose for there drive. Also whit my American Bulldogs i begin very early whit the bike traing but because they are heavyer 2 months later. Important to know is that i never had a dog whit bad hips or elbows. Its just my meaning and experience. Greetings.

beemerchef
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby beemerchef » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:50 pm

So now... on our Journey I decided to get a bike... that is bicycle... nearing 60... need to get in better shape... So... here we go reading this whole thread from the beginning. Exciting... Thought for a while about getting a little 250cc (motorized!) and leaving Spirit behind a few hours at the time... not such a hot idea... I like the bicycle and his company much better, specially since he already has the sidecar...
Be well... Ara & Spirit

lganser
Newborn Bully

biking with my dogs

Postby lganser » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:03 pm

i don't have any of the fancy equipment, and attach a leash to the seat post of my bike. that way a sudden pull doesn't pull me off. (learned years ago not to hold the leash and crashed, no injuries. just broke the cell phone in my pocket).

then i use a well fitted harness that hooks on the top.

when i say "bike ride" my dogs get much more excited than me.

babypit
Newborn Bully

Biking harness favs?

Postby babypit » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:47 pm

Anyone here have any harnesses they like for biking? If so, where can I get my hands on one?

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Biking harness favs?

Postby kaytenmags » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:08 pm

babypit wrote:Anyone here have any harnesses they like for biking? If so, where can I get my hands on one?

i got mine from cdpits and it's fantastic. (scroll down on the website to the 'walking/working harness') :thumbsup:

nygemma
Matured Bully

Postby nygemma » Mon May 12, 2008 1:44 pm

I've been biking with my dogs for about a year.
I just bought a bungee type cord with carabiner type clips on each end from Harbor Frieght Tools (luv this store).
I wrapped the cord around a center post on my bike today and clipped their leashes to both of the clips, on my right side.
I also carabine clip their leash handles together.
Now I only have to loosely hold the leashes up on my handle to take up the excess slack.
It takes a second to unclip them for a pee pee break off the bike.
So this little contraption costs about 4 bucks and acts just like the more expensive bike equipment for sale.
I'll try to post a picture soon...

TIVA_DOG
Newborn Bully

Re: HELP

Postby TIVA_DOG » Thu May 29, 2008 8:14 am

underrated831 wrote:I tried to take my APBT biking this afternoon. First I started by walking on the bike and he was walking fine next to me, as I started biking though, he kept tryng bite the bike! I told him off and he stopped. I slowed down and we started over, then he ran in front of the bike and bit the tire. We tried again, and he bit my leg! Anyone have any idea why he's biting me? How do I get him to jus run and stop attacking the bike and my legs?

I adopted a 2 1/2 yr old Pit and have been working dilligently for about 3 weeks now. Walking in the morning before I go to work, walking at night after work, I got a bike and tried this....WHEEEEEEE scary fast and since he is MILDLY dog aggressive it was especially fun since he was already excited to be running at 60mph on the bike, he really went after other dogs! This not only scared the pee out of me, but looks bad to other people when I am ripping down the road and here comes a big Pit that appears to be ready to devour their dog/cat. He also likes to get ahead and cuts in front of the bike. He does great walking with little dog agressiveness (this is something that we are working on very hard) but the bike thing needs a lot more work or I may end up in the ER or he (Tiva) may end up back at the shelter if someone complains and I really dont want that.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!!!
Jason

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Fri May 30, 2008 2:02 am

He also likes to get ahead and cuts in front of the bike.

You set up should be made so that the dog does not have enough room to pass your front tire.What is your set up like? Do you have the leash in your hands?How long is the leash?

To bike safely with speed you should have some control of the dog, such as keeping positions or listen to vocal direction.If you started just by getting on the bike and let the dog all over the place then you need to take some steps back.Pick a calm area and get on your bike, with the minimum speed you manage.Move in circles, then out on a straight line for a few seconds and back in circle.Stop and ask the dog sit here and there.Change direction often and avoid to speed up.This is to work on the dog paying attention to where the bike moves and you, rather than being excited and thinking to go down the street full speed.Work on that until you see a dog that turns with you fluently and can sit showing some self control.If the dog has gone for a crazy ride already he is expecting it again so I'd really suggest that you work on focus and positions before you go far and with more speed. If you have no control of the dog then it is going to be tough to pass other dogs without killing yourself.Start in a calm place and then move to areas with more distractions.

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Fri May 30, 2008 2:11 am

Red wrote:To bike safely with speed you should have some control of the dog, such as keeping positions or listen to vocal direction.

:goodpost:

Here's what we practised by riding in the yard and driveway, doing figure eights and circles, BEFORE we ever went on the road:

Go right
Go left
Easy
(slow down a little)
Whoa (stop now)
Watch bike (you're drifting, re-adjust position)
Leave it (we don't need to stop for the dead raccoon you're trying to pick up)

Good voice control is going to REALLY help when you're out biking. We bike off-road on trails and so rarely meet other dogs, but the leave it command should work, or watch me... something so the dog isn't fixated on the other dog and is paying more attention to you.

TIVA_DOG
Newborn Bully

Postby TIVA_DOG » Fri May 30, 2008 7:06 am

Red wrote:
He also likes to get ahead and cuts in front of the bike.

You set up should be made so that the dog does not have enough room to pass your front tire.What is your set up like? Do you have the leash in your hands?How long is the leash?

To bike safely with speed you should have some control of the dog, such as keeping positions or listen to vocal direction.If you started just by getting on the bike and let the dog all over the place then you need to take some steps back.Pick a calm area and get on your bike, with the minimum speed you manage.Move in circles, then out on a straight line for a few seconds and back in circle.Stop and ask the dog sit here and there.Change direction often and avoid to speed up.This is to work on the dog paying attention to where the bike moves and you, rather than being excited and thinking to go down the street full speed.Work on that until you see a dog that turns with you fluently and can sit showing some self control.If the dog has gone for a crazy ride already he is expecting it again so I'd really suggest that you work on focus and positions before you go far and with more speed. If you have no control of the dog then it is going to be tough to pass other dogs without killing yourself.Start in a calm place and then move to areas with more distractions.

I hold his leash with my arm through the loop on the end and keep him reeled in so he can not...or should not...be able to get in front of me, but that is going to have to be changed cuz when he wants in front he is getting there. When I took him for his walk lastnight and this morning he is showing more dog agressiveness than before, it seems like it is increasing a little more each day and I am lost now as to what to do for it. He lives with another dog, 2 cats and does great but once we hit the street for or walk he is dragging me all over the place and trying to charge fences to get to other dogs growling and barking and pulling so hard his front feet are off the ground cuz I am holding him back. I tried some cooked chicken, some beef chunks and other treats to try to keep him in line but he will not even look at them once we are within 50 feet of another dog...NO and I do mean NO signs of agressiveness to people at all he pays no attention to them. Knowing what yards have dogs in them I try to stop him well before we get there trying to keep him as calm as I can and approach and he just loses it and wont listen to me at all. This has just started in the last couple days, when I first brought him home he had NO dog agressive behavior at all but with each walk it seems to increase. I thought that he may just need MORE excercise so I got the bike, we worked in the driveway until he was listening to and following commands...stop, back, sit...things like that and stayed on my left side. But now things have changed, it is getting almost too much and is very scary when he goes into attack mode towards other dogs, it is very attack mode too...not "do you want to play" it's "I'm going to kill you" mode and is really not a good thing.

Does anyone think that this may be why he was at the shelter to begin with? I thought they checked them for agressiveness before they could adopt them out. My wife and I went to the shelter 3 seperate times within about a weeks time to see Tiva before we adopted him to see "who" he was as best we could with him being in that environment and he was great each time. The people at the shelter let us bring our dog down to "meet" and see how they did together....did great, after a few minutes sniffing and all the doggie introductions they were playing together and have been buddies since.

I am SOOOOOOOOO lost here, if anyone can PLEASE HELP me with this it would be great. This seems to be more than a walking/biking issue.

Thanks again!!!

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sat May 31, 2008 2:02 am

This seems to be more than a walking/biking issue.

Yes.Do you mind to start a thread so we don't go off topic too much and folks can give you suggestion on how to work with your dog?
I meant to answer you but maybe a new thread is better.

TIVA_DOG
Newborn Bully

New Thread

Postby TIVA_DOG » Sat May 31, 2008 7:25 am

Sorry, did not mean to hijack this thread...yes, I will post a new one....

Thanks!

sarallyn
Bully Ambassador

Postby sarallyn » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:51 am

I can't wait to start biking with Gracie in Maine...
thanks so much for the informative post!

Return to “Training and Behavior”