Biking with your bully

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
laurieellis27
Newborn Bully

Postby laurieellis27 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:11 am

ZiggysMom wrote:I bike with my boy all the time! It's about the only way to really get him enough exercise without completely killing myself. I just hold the leash-- I'm not really comfortable with having it on my waist, especially in case of squirrels and rabbits.

I also bike with Ziggy on my right, so he's not on the "traffic" side of the bike. It would make me really nervous, since we really don't have any bike lanes where I live. Does left work OK for you guys? Why did you pick the left side? I know it's the classic heel side for obedience training, but I've always had a personal preference for heeling on the right... just me.

I hold my leash too with my left hand. I keep the arm in and always controlled. Ruby loves to pull the bike but i keep her just enough infront where i can pull her back if need be. I have to keep eye on her for signs she sees a squirrel or cat. She will start speeding up when that happens and I have to pull back and get control or a disaster is imminent.

Bike riding with your high energy breed is the way to go! They get in excellent shape that way and when you get home you know where they are going....usually to flop down on the cool kitchen floor for a good long while!! :))

laurieellis27
Newborn Bully

Postby laurieellis27 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:18 am

babypit wrote:Does anyone have any alternative suggestions for good working/walking harnesses that they like, aside from CD Pits?

Took a look at their site, and love their stuff, but they've been rather unresponsive to me - several weeks and a few emails later.

I really want to get started with the biking. Got my bike maintenenced, and the brakes switched. Her boots are here. All we need is a harness. I don't really want to take her out in a collar...

I actually prefer a collar. The harness just makes my dog want to pull. I can easily perform a correction with a collar on and divert a disaster. I'm a bike with a collar girl! I also walk with a collar. The harness was designed with pulling in mind.

neef
Newborn Bully

Re: Biking with your bully

Postby neef » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:23 am

Nice thread!

I usually take Peanut out on the bike with just his collar(tight) and a 4-5 foot leash..Works fine for me

I am ALWAYS on the lookout for anything that he might get distracted by...Usually other animals or other joggers...but I tend to spot it WAY before and just slow down and tell him to "Leave It"

He's getting better and I notice that he usually listens better after warming up and getting tired.

I also would like to mention I switched to biking because the first time I took Peanut out on rollerblades I fell twice before leaving my driveway 500 feet. And lets just say I had to walk back... lol

41five
Newborn Bully

Postby 41five » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:59 pm

I bike with my dog every morning and she's addicted, i can't even touch my bike without her freakin' out.
I just wanted to comment on the equipment side, I don't use special instruments really, I just leash her to the seat so that if she pulls, which she has learned not to, it's doesn't affect the direction of the bike. Also i live in downtown San Francisco so i had to initially train her on the prong collar so that she won't pull, or go around poles, parking meters, people, scaffolding, etc. I still have to slow down when I'm in crowded areas because I'm scared she'll wrap around some unsuspecting pedestrian but she's pretty smart about, probably because she knows that it's gonna hurt her a lot more then it's gonna hurt my bike lol. Initially i also had a problem with the leash going under her legs but i solved that by tightening up the collar so that the leash hookup was always on top and not hanging under her neck.
All in all it took her about a week of slow, easy, city biking, weaving through traffic and what not to get it down solid.
If you live in a more suburban area it'll probably be a breeze and I would recommend just putting the leash over your seat and seeing if it works for you before investing in a Springer...or whatever it called lol. good luck.

Kaneman
Newborn Bully

Postby Kaneman » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:27 pm

I too bike with my dogs on a daily basis, I usually take all three of them together...which sounds a lot scarier than it really is. I usually attach their leashes to the seat post. We pass numerous cats, squirrels and strays along the way as we usually cover many miles and I've yet to be pulled over. The worst thing that happens is my Lab stopping to poop in the middle of the trail and quickly halting our forward progress.

If any of the dogs try to pass me I give a verbal correction and they fall back in line...usually no corrections are needed though it wasn't always quite as easy.

Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Maven » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:34 pm

I too have biked my old dog forever. He was a troublesome lad, so I kept him really really active. My knees suck, so biking was much better for both of us! When I got Maven I started teaching her how to bike white attatched to him with a horse bungie and me via leash. So she learned what he did. She eventually graduated to solo biking as he is older and can't do as much as she needs and wants to do. I too use heel(she will touch my near leg with her nose to establish she is there and listening), watch and easy. There is also no where moving things like the already mentioned squirrels, cats, etc. We did quit because of the numerous surgeries. But she is sound and needs to be stronger.
What I really want is a swim spa! For dog and human use! Now that would be easy on my knees and hers..lol.

Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Maven » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:36 pm

LOL I was also going to mention the lady I think is insane that bikes with her three dogs in my neighborhood, but I guess the above pic and post throws that out the door. ;) It is funny to see her and her husband bike and she has all of the dogs and he follows along.

PBLLuver
Newborn Bully

Postby PBLLuver » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:09 am

I like the idea of having the dog attached to your waste. It gives the dog more to pull should he/she see a squirrel, etc and try and take off. I made the mistake of taking one on a ride on just a hand held leash and it cost me a pretty bad fall. After that, we got a Springer attachment for the bike. It attaches to the center post on the bike and the spring cushions any pulls the dog might make. Works like a champ. I also used two short leads to attach to the dog (should one give way, the other was still attached). We attached one to the harness (a little shorter than the other lead) and one attached to the collar.

This works really well...

Springer

knitter4years
Adolescent Bully

Postby knitter4years » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:15 am

I am posting this only now because I'm new here. We love bicycling with our dogs. It's helped our fosters immensely to release their energy and relax. It's helped them cope with desensitizing to cats as it lets them run off their frustration with our controlling their prey drive.

We use the K-9 Bike Jogger which attached under the seat and prevents the dog from pulling you off. We bought one for each bike because of the high prey drive of some dogs in a city full of squirrels. Even a new foster can tear off after a squirrel and can't pull me over or get to the squirrel with this device. Their is another device called a Springer. I like it too.

For safety's sake and the strength of our strong dogs, I recommend a tool that attaches to the bike and will eliminate the potential pull of the dog by absorbing the energy of the dog's pull. Here's to dogs and lots of exercise! They love it. You are a wonderful foster owner.

RhysMom
Newborn Bully

Postby RhysMom » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:40 pm

Great idea! I am dusting my bike off for the season now that its getting warmer. I'll try the leash to the seat and see how that goes. lots of bunnies to chase this spring... hopefully I dont go crashing down to the ground...
He does really great on the leash except for small "chaseable" animals. He might be distracted enough with running though that he'll leave them. when I powerwalk with him he's normally trotting and more focused on the walk than the rabbits.

RhysMom
Newborn Bully

Postby RhysMom » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:09 pm

So cool! I tied the leash to the bike seat like a few of the posters on here said to try and Rhys did great! I just took him around the small block at my house for our trial and he seemed to like it. He even tried to take off after another dog someone was walking and I felt very secure on the bike still. However the leash kept getting bumped by my leg when I pedaled, So I'm thinking about getting one of the skijoring belts or a walkie-dog bike attachment.

Anyone else have this problem? What have you done to correct it?

NorCalRose
Adolescent Bully

Postby NorCalRose » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:27 pm

I know this has to be in this thread some where but I use a Walky Dog. This keeps him away from legs and away from the front tire. My dog likes to pull so I bought a walking harness from CD Pits. For extra control, just in case, I attach a leash to his flat collar. I didn't have it on in the pics below for some reason. I also keep him on the right side of my bike so he isn't next to traffic. I like my Curser so I can use the foot brake instead of a hand break.

We have a 6 month old pup that I just started walking next to bike so she can get used to turning and stopping before I start "riding" with her.

http://www.thedogoutdoors.com/walkydog- ... leash.html

These aren't very good pics but you can get the idea.

NorCalRose
Adolescent Bully

Postby NorCalRose » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:31 pm

That's Cruiser not curser. :oops:

RhysMom
Newborn Bully

Postby RhysMom » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:56 am

Oooh, foot brakes! I miss those...
Thanks for the pictures, I think I'll order one, it looks like the best affordable solution. :)
I've ordered a walking harness from weightpullharness.com last week so can't wait for everything to get here now!

ClickNtreat
Adolescent Bully

Postby ClickNtreat » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:21 am

Another fan of the walkydog here with an ezy harness. Our Tasha loved pulling us on a bike. We had to laugh people would go "awwww look at that dog" and then when we got closer "OMG its a pitbull!!!" on the bike path LOL She was great, had no interest in bothering anyone else or their dogs, or other cyclists. She just loved running full speed with her people or racing against our border collie on the other bike. Can't wait for our pup to grow up so we can resume (thinking we will have to wait until she is at least a year old and her bones have formed?) It was Tasha's favorite exercise in the world.

I encourage anyone who loves cycling and being with their dog to try it - it was a total blast. Even when a cat sprinted across the bike path and she went after it for 30 seconds I was able to control her on the walkydog. Tasha was a very big female 77lbs at her heaviest. If I had her on a leash when that cat sprinted right across the bike path I would of been eating concrete.

Return to “Training and Behavior”