Do you own more than one dog?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Lizzie
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lizzie » Sun May 07, 2006 7:26 am

Ok I'm relieved now. Thanks everyone.

I always keep them separated when I'm not watching them...and I'll continue to do that. They're crated when we're not home. Other than that, they're doing well! :thumbsup: Loki the husky is VERY patient with the new little terror!!!

Pipbull
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Pipbull » Mon May 08, 2006 9:16 pm

Spazzy wrote:I have a multi-dog household consisting of two hound dogs, an APBT, an APBT/Englisg bulldog mix, and various rescues who come though.

My house is not a picture of harmony.

My own four dogs get along well enough, but even they have their scuffles. Howie (APBT/Bulldog mix) has been dog aggressive since day one, I knew this when I aquired him. Needless to say, we watch him closely with our other dogs, and don't even bother to introduce him to the fosters we house.

The number one rule is- never trust a pit bull not to fight. This is not meant to discourage you, but to make you aware. Never leave the two alone unsupervised, this is a given for all dogs, but especially pit bulls.

Is Howie actually an APBT/EB cross? Or are you just saying that because he is a hippo? lol

I am now in a house with 4 dogs and 3 cats. No play goes unsupervised here (among dogs at least, the cats and fish will always be fighting.) My male has recently shown some dog aggression, so I only let him play in the backyard with one of the others at a time. The hippo went beserk over some newborn kittens one time, so we introduced him to the cats with a muzzle and leash on. He sniffed, got whacked in the head, and scampered away. The other two belong to my roommate, a pit bull/collie mix (ugly and annoying as hell) that pisses off my dog aggro male a lot, but they are dealing better now. And a puppy female hippo (just can't get through to some people...) who pisses on everything and pisses off the collie mix. Rotating is the most time consuming and aggravating thing ever, so it's awesome that yours get along with eachother. Love the pictures of him playing with the cat.

thegirlundertherainbow

At the moment we have 8 dogs.

Postby thegirlundertherainbow » Mon May 08, 2006 11:40 pm

I used to foster dogs for a local rescue group..and the most I've had at one time was 6 maybe..and 7 puppies.
I am not with the group anymore..these are all permament dogs with the exception of a Great Dane we took in from friends a little over a year ago. He will possibly be going into a Dane rescue.
All dogs but the Dane get crated. He doesn't because I have a hard time seeing crating such a big dog...although I've always crated every other dog.
Two of our Lab/Rotts are crated in our washroom..and the Dane is in there loose. The third lab/rott who is lately having problems staying in a crate..is crated in our dining room (used to be in the washroom too,but she breaks out now if in there). Our 3 little dogs (2 Chihuahuas and a Chihuahua/Rat Terrier crosss) are crated in our dining room as well. And for now, our APBT puppy is crated next to them. SHe is new and so far ha only been introduced to our little dogs/cats/lab rott that is also crated in the dining room. Our cats are sectioned off in a a separate room..albeit a room we go thruogh to go into the back yard.
For almost a decade I've always had at least 6 dogs I'd say..and it can be done, with work, and attention to behaviour of every dog. So far, all of our dogs go out to play together (cept the new puppy). Everyone is safe out together or in together..but outdoor time isn't long, and one lab rott can only go out on lead anyway..
We also have Chinchillas in a spare bedroom, in cages..the 3 Lab/Rotts and the little dogs are fine going in/out of that room..I would not do this with the new Dane (he's too big) or the APBT puppy.. you just have to know your dogs and recognize what each can/should do.

tonka

Postby tonka » Tue May 09, 2006 3:21 pm

I have two and they do great together. The only time i have to seperate them is to feed them. they do really, really good to gether. Matter of fact my female does not like to be left alone with out my male. Toys and all they do good together they share and I don't recall either one of them getting mad over there toys, beds or anything else. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS watch them, learn them and pay attention to what does and does not agervate one or the other. GOOD LUCK!!! :peace:

Naplis Slim
Newborn Bully

Postby Naplis Slim » Mon May 15, 2006 5:18 pm

I just let my dogs know who the Alpha in the pack is....

Return to “Training and Behavior”