Female households

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
pooparella
Super Bully

Postby pooparella » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:06 pm

When I've had two females in the house together, I've always made a point to walk them together, with another person handling one of the dogs, to reinforce that they're a "pack." As others have mentioned, watching their body language and knowing the dogs well is the most important thing. Providing they do okay around each other and I feel safe, after a while, I'll take them both out myself. The walks are short and often at late or early hours when there's not much action around. I also train and walk them seperately. I've personally found that walking dogs together can really be good for them and keep tension levels low[er]. Admittedly, I haven't had many occassions with more than one DA female around at a time.

Jp
Bully Ambassador

Postby Jp » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:19 am

Three female pitbulls here. Two are my own (Georgia & Daisy) and the other one (Daphne) is just umm here...

All three get along really well, but each one has their own spot. Georgia is the boss/referee/warden, Daisy is the neutral and Daphne is the rascal. We watch their body language constantly and supervise everything! I would never ever walk more then one at a time. It's always best to have 110% control!

Pittymomma...I love your descriptions roflmao

Emzdogz
Super Bully

Postby Emzdogz » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:43 am

we've always had girl dogs over the last 15 years. Pepsi is our 5th and lives with our last of the earlier dogs, Ruffy-Ann.
Once we had 3 girls all at the same time, for a couple years.
They're ok.
Some scuffles over the years - the worst of which was one night just before I was to leave on a trip the next day, one of mine stepped on the other during the night in the dark and WWIII broke out and I had to break it up, in the dark, and I was not, ahem, properly dressed.
My smallest mutt dog bit the cr_p out of me. Next day I had to got to the emergency room. Blood everywhere inthe room where it happened, looked like there'd been a murder. I didn;t get to go on my trip.
Some switch had flipped in her little brain and that was it.
Never did it before and never done it since.
But the group gang-bang did something to her.
Otherwise during fence running, if someone walks their leashed dogs by, there is a bit of re-direction, but it's getting better!
My old dog, somehow, is da BOSS, and if she grumbles/growls/shows teeth, Pepsi backs down.
A blessing!
Ruffy is so old and "brittle" now that they don't lay together or anything but I think if Ruff were younger they would be real affectionate. Ruffy has to be handled gingerly by Pepsi.
When Pep does zoomies, Ruffy is her "coach" and stands in corners and growls and jumps at her when she goes by - to keep Pepsi going.
We didn't specifically mean to get another female....
no regrets though, whatsoever.
Its Emzdogz' home for wayward women around my place.
Good luck!
Em

Emzdogz
Super Bully

Postby Emzdogz » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:46 am

oh, one more thing, my 2 females walk BEAUTIFULLY on leash together. better even than they walk solo.
But I no longer do it because if a loose dog came up I'm not sure I could handle it if there were a fight.
Makes me sad, becasue its REALLY a pleasure walking them together. they are perfectly matched size-wise and they just truck along so proud. Oh well, you do what you have to for the sake of safety.
Em

Return to “Training and Behavior”