NILIF

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
N2K
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby N2K » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:31 pm

Trying the show her i am the one in control. When we are 1 on 1 she will follow me and listen to me. Add another person to the scene she just wants to run off to them.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:56 am

keep her on leash... this way she wont run to everyone.. socialization is important though, so having her greet people on leash is a great way to teach her to sit, and behave instead of jumping.. by putting her in the crate for punishment you are teachingher the crate is bad, instead of good..NILIF is to be used for everything, but if she is a puppy she has the attention span of a gnat, so you have to go easy on her ...

normally when i have pups here i leash them to me, and start teaching them the rules of the house along with NILIF.. its normal for the dog to want to go to people, there is nothing bad with that...

N2K
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby N2K » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:25 am

She loves her crate, after eating and being outside she pulls me to her crate. My aunt and her husband and friend were over last night, she did good. Still trying to control her jumping, foot on the leash helped. She only wanted to great those who wanted to great her. :D

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:52 am

what you can do is to prevent her jumping, stand on her leash like you are doing, and if she knows the Sit command ask her to sit, and treat her when she does.. have friends and family who come over have a treat too, and have them ask her to Sit.. say it once... SIT.. she sits, she gets a treat... this way she learns that anyone who comes over and asks her something if she does it she gets a treat..

puppies need extra patience , since they are so young, but repetition will work if everyone does it.

N2K
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby N2K » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:48 pm

She still learning 'sit' to the actual sit command. She will sit for the treat without me telling her. If I am walking her and I stop she sits. Shes a clever one, but still need some more for other commands.

k_06_n
Newborn Bully

Postby k_06_n » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:43 pm

OK, first off I have a lot to learn. I have a few ??s I totally agree with this form of training(my husband is a yeller). I guess I am gonna have to make him read this sticky and help me.

1) My Micki is almost 3 yrs old, I have to be very careful with her because she was abused. She listens to most commands but when hubby tries to tell her something she gets confused and looks for me. She also does this when at the vet if she is scared. I think she trusts me to give her the best advice. I have no leader issues really with Micki. My two concerns are when we go for walks like on a leash( she gets play time in our back yard, this is extra like going to the park) she starts getting overly hyper. How can I curb this behavior??? I also have an issue when walking her, I want her to walk beside me*not behind,or ahead*.

2) Marshmellow(I have spoiled her, almost a year old) she does know basic commands like sit, lay, get off. My concerns are when we have company she wants to jump on everyone and all I have taught her goes out the window, making me look like I don't make her behave. She is a very loving, cuddling, and approval wanting dog. I know part of her behavior is the curiosity of a puppy/ young dog, however I want it broke now. I also have the issue with walking her, she wants to pull me(this isnt helped by the fact my hubby runs off with Micki and Marshmelllow wants to be with them) I want her to walk beside me. A lot of Marshmellows behavior you just have to witness( I swear she is a human in a dogs body) and she has a serious attitude. Also it seems like she has enough energy for fifty dogs, do I need to exercise her more or what???

3) I would like to take the dogs on walk by myself( with them tugging not happening). The girls weigh 75lbs(Micki) and 45 lbs(Marshmellow) if they wanted they could walk me. How do I work on this or should I start with teaching one at a time how to walk beside me?? I am sure I have a million other ??s but Ill ask these for now.

Thanks in advance. I really want them to behave and listen no matter what else distracts them.

MaggielSelah
Adolescent Bully

Postby MaggielSelah » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:47 pm

I have a NILF question. :D

So we've been doing some of these with Maya. Will for sure pick up the pace on the things we're lacking on like making sure she sits for play time and putting her collar and leash on for walks (we use a special walking collar for her).

Here's my question though. We currently have a foster who is like twice her size. And suddenly, I cannot remember how we got Maya to do these things in the first place. I feel like I'm stupid or something. For example, we taught Maya to not only sit for meal time, but to lay down. So we pull out breakfast and she immediately lays down and waits for her food while we are struggling to get Tye (foster) just sit down. They have no issues eating together (day one we kenneled them and fed seperate) or near one another, he just tramples her in his excitement. We do eventually get him to sit - and are working on getting him to sit - but then I read the training article Two Weeks! Give 'Em a Break!, so now I'm confused. Do I work on Tye sitting for me during meal times (just an example here) and before and during play times or do I just give him a break?

Tula
Adolescent Bully

Postby Tula » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:57 am

I was wondering the same sort of thing, MaggielSelah.

Maryellen: do you practice the "2 week shutdown" with new dogs/fosters?

I'm bringing home my newly adopted pit this weekend. Having spent some time with her pre-adoption I know she already knows sit, down, paw and wave. I had been planning on doing a "shutdown" type thing with her. Not teaching her new "tricks", nothing stressful, lots of fun and love. But I guess theres no harm in asking her to down before she gets her food, sit before I open the door of her crate, ignoring her jumping on me (I know thats one thing she does when excited), asking her to sit or something before lavishing her with attention...

???[/list]

Enamorada
Super Bully

Postby Enamorada » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:03 am

Tula wrote:I was wondering the same sort of thing, MaggielSelah.

Maryellen: do you practice the "2 week shutdown" with new dogs/fosters?

I'm bringing home my newly adopted pit this weekend. Having spent some time with her pre-adoption I know she already knows sit, down, paw and wave. I had been planning on doing a "shutdown" type thing with her. Not teaching her new "tricks", nothing stressful, lots of fun and love. But I guess theres no harm in asking her to down before she gets her food, sit before I open the door of her crate, ignoring her jumping on me (I know thats one thing she does when excited), asking her to sit or something before lavishing her with attention...

???[/list]

I'm basically wondering the same thing as i am in the same situation with the boy we just adopted. We were planning on the 2 wk shutdown as well when we bring him home.

Some background:

He's boarding at a kennel right now until Thursday (when we move into our home). Since he's been boarding, we take about 3 hrs a day (visitation hrs) and let him run around in a fenced grassy area, also been refreshing the command he already knows (sit) and introducing walking on the leash with him beside us - which he's learning really quickly - the leash is very obviously not new to him and he does pull but not hard and not often.

are we asking too much of him already? He seems happier when given some direction (he's very submissive and eager to please).

SO..he knows sit and is quickly learning to walk on the leash properly. He knows no other commands from what I can tell.

....Thoughts? Suggestions...?

squid
Addicted to PBF

Postby squid » Sun May 17, 2009 8:17 am

thank you so much this work wonders on yuhndi :)

Anna
Adolescent Bully

Re: NILIF

Postby Anna » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:18 pm

This is a Fantastic post !
I def. Plan on giving a copy of this to my mother, she wonder's why her lab walks all over her, does things she is not allowed to do and so on.... reading this was red flags for her ...lmbo now that its said by someone else maybe she will listen to me know, of course i have no idea what im talking about though even though my Boxer and Pittie girls are 100% better and well behaved than her lab -snickers- Hopefully this will sink into her head a little that she needs to be more "alpha" with her dog. Anyways Great post !!! This should be a sticky :goodpost:

<3myBoogie
Newborn Bully

Postby <3myBoogie » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:40 am

I have a quick question. I'm going to stop giving attention on demand. That seems to be a large issue, however what do i do when he does attention seeking bad behaviors??? Is correcting him giving the attention???

Ps. :goodpost:

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:00 am

Negative attention is still attention, so if whatever behavior he's doing is on order to get your attention, then yes, giving a "correction" would suit his purpose.

<3myBoogie
Newborn Bully

Postby <3myBoogie » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:20 pm

Geez. This is going to be difficult lol

So say he starts chewing.... i should just let it continue as to not accidentally give attention?

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:14 pm

<3myBoogie wrote:Geez. This is going to be difficult lol

So say he starts chewing.... i should just let it continue as to not accidentally give attention?

If he is chewing something he shouldn't, you should be replacing that with something he can chew. After a few times of replacement he learns what is chewable and what isn't. It took me a week to get Curly to understand my coffee table wasn't her chew toy :) When you replace with the toy, you do not speak or praise him, as that makes him think if he chews he gets acknowledged, just replace with chew toy and move on.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk

Return to “Training and Behavior”