Super submissive pits

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
malibufishnsurf
Newborn Bully

Super submissive pits

Postby malibufishnsurf » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:14 am

In the past year, 5 different neighbors on our beach have adopted pits. Everyone seems to have ended up with extremely human and dog submissive pits, and a lot of people in my community have had their eyes opened a bit by these wonderful breed ambassadors.

Personally, I love dogs that are very mellow and submissive. Has anyone noticed any problem traits in adopting dogs that are very, very submissive?

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Re: Super submissive pits

Postby 6pak » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:57 am

Has anyone noticed any problem traits in adopting dogs that are very, very submissive?

When someone breaks into your house, that could be a problem I imagine. As Mr. T would say, "I pity the fool who fears my pit bull more than me."
There is nothing cooler than a mean looking dog that is super sweet.

Hoss
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby Hoss » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:31 am

explain super human submissive behavior, then may be we can help.

malibufishnsurf
Newborn Bully

Postby malibufishnsurf » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:36 am

Very shy, almost to the point of lying down or sitting whenever anyone goes to pet them, and rolling over submissively when approached by other dogs, regardless of size or breed.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:38 am

i worry that that super-submissive will work its way into fear. these dogs are not meant to be that submissive. my dog mushroom is often very submissive, at least with people. to the point of rolling on his back and peeing (hello, embarrassing!). he's also a little bit too wary and fearful of strangers to make me happy. i think he could probaby be pushed into fear-biting if the situation were "right".

don't get me wrong- i love him to death and i wouldn't trade him for the world. he's much "easier" than my drivey, confident, bull-headed she-devil, but she's definitely got the more stable temperament.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:21 pm

malibufishnsurf wrote:Very shy, almost to the point of lying down or sitting whenever anyone goes to pet them, and rolling over submissively when approached by other dogs, regardless of size or breed.
That is not a proper APBT temperament.

As already said a shy dog is often a fearful one and fear biters are major problems

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:37 pm

those dogs would worry me
they should never be that submissive, but eager, happy, forward in meeting all people

moochesmama
Bully Ambassador

Postby moochesmama » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:39 pm

They would worry me as a breeding prospect, but that is a moot point. As a pet, I wouldn't worry unless they had shown signs of fear-biting.

pitbullmommy
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pitbullmommy » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:46 pm

Inuyasha is a very confident dog. He walks around like he owns the world lol He is very confident at meeting others too (people)wagging tail and just happy.

At home though if he knows he did something he wasn't suppose to, he rolls over and acts super submissive, but otherwise he ain't a shy boy.

Brenda

mypuppyJack
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby mypuppyJack » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:11 pm

my friend's pitbull is happy to meet new people- but super submissive around other dogs- she just rolls onto her back- She(Mocha) was attacked in obedience class by a GSD whose owner was complaining about pit bulls being allowed in the class- (my friend's dog and mine and a pit/sharpei mix) and our dogs were the smartest and best behaved out of all the dogs- Mocha got her ear ripped open when she submitted onto her back and the owner never apologized- and at the last class- the GSD lunged at and nipped his owner- and still people were afraid of the "big bad pits" Sometimes people are so stupid

I would be worried too if my dog was like that with people- sometimes my Jack does a submissive pee- especially at the vet- but his tail is wagging the whole time

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:33 pm

Marley was like that when we first got him, although the only people he had been around were the BYB we got him from at 11 weeks. He was hit with a willow switch for doing anything bad, and would cringe at loud noises, if you raised your had above your head (even reaching for books on a shelf) and was very shy meeting new people.

We started socializing, walking and getting everyone who showed interest in the puppy to feed him treats. He's great meeting people now (although it took months and obedience classes to work through the submissiveness)... he meets them with tail wagging, head and ears up and trots forward (of course he still expects treats from everyone and looks pretty confused when they don't all have cookies)...

I would be worried with very submissive dogs that they would end up biting in (what they consider) a fear situation, but lots of good experiences can work through some of that.

Return to “Training and Behavior”