I need HELP!!! (Fearfull pitty)

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:55 am

I'm so sorry. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear. My heart goes out to you and to her. Please do not be irresponsible with her fragile psyche. Peace is not the scariest option for her.

Postby msvette2u » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:49 am

Honestly, a kind death (euthanasia) is not the worst thing a dog could face.
Think of how miserable your dog is. She's terrified of everything and that is not kind.
She could bite your child, leaving permanent scars, and be impounded by animal control and die by their hands. That's kind, but not as kind as you taking her to the vet for her last ride.
That's what a caring owner would do, knowing that her fate is going to be much worse if she stays in your home, or worse yet, given to someone who may fail her and in turn get injured or have another get injured while she's in their care.

People think it's horrible to put a dog to sleep.
Although I don't believe 100% in a dog psychic, I spoke to one and she confirmed that dogs don't see, and fear death the way humans do. To them, it's just a transition.

Not only is it the kindest thing, in this case it is the wisest.

Bully Ambassador

Postby Noriko525 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:40 pm

I'm not sure if you are still reading this thread or not but I thought I'd share my story with you because its almost the same as yours.

I had a dog who had a fear based aggressive temperment. She had also lunged and tried to attack several kids as well as a few adults later on in her short life. She was my heart dog, she is the dog that no other dog I ever own will live up too and I ended up putting her to sleep. I fought the decision for a year and a half (as you will see in the thread link I posted up) and when I was 6 months pregnant, I put her down.

The thing you need to understand with a dog who has fear issues is that they are suffering mentally... you cannot just pass them off to someone else who is dog savvy. While some of these dogs can be safely managed, the way you describe Daisy sounds as if she is too far gone and as someone else said "she is afraid to even live." I KNOW its hard to think about putting her down but you need to step out of the box... this isn't about your feelings or emotions... you can deal with those later. This is about DAISY and the state of mind she lives with every day. She is suffering.. well cared for or not, loved or not, never been abused or not, she is mentally suffering every day.

You would be giving her the best gift you could possible afford if you would just end her suffering now. I've been in your shoes, I put Sativa down a little over a year ago and I've cried every day for almost a year and even now just talking about Sativa, I'm tearing up. I would have done ANYTHING for Sativa to make her better and in the end, I DID do the best thing for her... I recognized her pain and released her from it.

Sorry if my post sounds cheesy but this is a subject that I can relate to and hurts my heart. The best thing you can do now is to come to terms with what your dog is going through... you being a new mom (as am I, my son is 8.5 months old!) have learned how to be selfless... it comes with being a mother.... try and put your emotions aside for now and do whats best for DAISY... not whats best for your emotions.

I'm sorry you are going through this. I wish you all the best and if you need someone to talk to, I can totally relate and would welcome your conversation.

2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby sam » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:19 am

Hi there, where in BC do you live?

This is not a dog that should be re-homed. You need to remember that dogs live in the now, and unlike humans do not think of the what-ifs. One great day doing all her favorite things before putting her to sleep would mean the world to her, while keeping others safe from her. So give her that great day and let her stop living in fear.

Return to “Training and Behavior”