Raw Bone Aggression

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Raw Bone Aggression

Postby akaspaddero » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:25 am

So, I fed raw knuckle bones to the dogs last night, mostly for dental care. Maddie was in her crate. I was told only to let them have it 20minutes. So the buzzard goes off, and I go to get her bone. I reached in and she growled and showed her teeth to me and she wasn't smiling! I was floored! I can take regular food fromher with no problem. ANyway, I close the door and go get one of her regular treats. I lure her out with that, hubby grabs the dog, i roll up the bone in the sheet I used, stuck it in a ziploc and threw it in the freezer. A few moments later, her and Zoe are out walking around. Zoe goes over by the crate Maddie was eating her bone in, and Maddie goes after Zoe...Uggg.
So, many lessons for me to learn.....
Anyone else have aggression from one dog when it coes to raw bones? IF so how did you handle it....How do you get the bone away from the FA dog?
Iguess I need to block off her crate when she is done, so Zoe can't go near it...
Thanks!

lpyrbby
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lpyrbby » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:54 am

It's a high prize item and kinda is to be expected to an extent. However she should respect you.

i would work one on one with her on allowing you to take treats and bones and toys and all from her. Its just a repetition of taking and giving back. If she gets growly ha! Its yours now! You give it back on your own time when you are ready to practice again. Lots of praise should be given when she lets you have it. Sometimes you can replace one thing for another goody so she never knows whats coming her way. Look around here for tips on resource gaurding. That's what she's doing.

Julie K
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Raw Bone Aggression

Postby Julie K » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:09 pm

akaspaddero wrote:So, I fed raw knuckle bones to the dogs last night, mostly for dental care. Maddie was in her crate. I was told only to let them have it 20minutes. So the buzzard goes off, and I go to get her bone. I reached in and she growled and showed her teeth to me and she wasn't smiling! I was floored! I can take regular food fromher with no problem. ANyway, I close the door and go get one of her regular treats. I lure her out with that, hubby grabs the dog, i roll up the bone in the sheet I used, stuck it in a ziploc and threw it in the freezer. A few moments later, her and Zoe are out walking around. Zoe goes over by the crate Maddie was eating her bone in, and Maddie goes after Zoe...Uggg.
So, many lessons for me to learn.....
Anyone else have aggression from one dog when it coes to raw bones? IF so how did you handle it....How do you get the bone away from the FA dog?
Iguess I need to block off her crate when she is done, so Zoe can't go near it...
Thanks!

I don't understand why they would only be able to have them for twenty minutes.
Here's how we handle raw bones:
Everybody in their crate, nobody comes out until everybody is finished chewing. Dogs are not allowed in other dogs crates; that's their own personal space; so if two are out, their two crates are closed. If they don't completely finish, bones are taken out and disposed of.
Sterilized bones and nylabones are out loose and are so plentiful there's nothing to get jealous over.
Julie K

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:14 pm

I can't imagine why someone would tell you to give them bones then take them away in 20 minutes? That is a tease to them.
I put my three dogs in their bone area, give out the bones, (one dog goes in the fenced in front yard, the second dog goes in the fenced in back yard and the third dog stays gated in his space in the kitchen.
All dogs stay in their individual space until all bones are finsihed or they have lost interest in them.
I then take up any left overs, clean up any stuff in the areas that could trigger a fight, even if it means filling a bucket of warm soapy water and throwing it in the grass where bones were chewed.
I keep crate doors shut when not in use, that is a private space for that dog, no one else is alllowed to enter other's crates.
I feed dog in crate, then let dog out of crate, clen up the feeding spot, then close the crate door so no one else can go in and start any arguments.
A bone is a high value treat, first poster gave you some good advice on how to handle that.
You have to stay one jump ahead of multi dog homes to keep everyone in line and safe.
I never even give out treats unless they are in different areas, too easy for a fight to start over a little crumb.

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:43 am

Yep, bones are the only thing Marley will growl at Carrie about, although my boyfriend and I can take them from either dog. Carrie goes in her crate for bones, Marley is loose and gated to another area of the house (he can't see the crate or he will snarl and throw himself at the door of it). We don't take them away either (usually, I do pick them up about halfway through, make them sit/sit pretty or something to get the bone back but only because I want to maintain being able to take high value things) they chew until they get bored or everything is gone.

the other posters already covered lots of stuff for you, just throwing my two cents in :)

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:04 am

Thanks everyone. Like I said, so many things to learn. I appreciate everyone's feedback. We will make some changes prior to giving the bones again.

I read the 20 minute thing in a book about Natural Nutrition for dogs. The bones are given for teeth cleaning. It stated for no more than 20 minutes, because if too much they can get constipated. I don't have the book with me to quote, but that is what I got from the reading

Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 04100824 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:15 am

I've heard people say 20-30 minutes so that the marrow won't upset their stomachs and make them sick.

I give Reno beef ribs and just let him eat what he wants. The first couple of times he got them, I held them for him. He doesn't have a problem with me messing with his food... in fact, it took him a couple more times to figure out that I'm not going to hold the stupid bone every time!

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:22 am

The one and only time I've given raw knuckle bones to my dogs, Elmo got pretty snarky with Tully over getting too close to his bone. It's the only time any of my dogs have shown any sort of food aggression. (he was fine with me, though) He also ate way too much bone in too short a time, and was extremely constipated for several days. I should have limited his time- he basically did nothing but lie on the floor and eat bones for about 2 days until both of them were gone.

izapitty
Newborn Bully

Work on Exchanges

Postby izapitty » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:39 am

I would work on exchanges with your dog in general. Just repeatedly sit with them in front of the crate and be there as they are chewing thier bone. Say your out command my is "drop it" and take the object, once you have possesion of it tell them to "take it" and let them continue. If the dog growls or gets pissy NO BONE.

Just being with the dog with say one hand on the bone while they are chewing will build up thier confidence that you dont = no more bone. Hope this makes since...

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:20 am

So, I spoke with a friend who is a trainer. But I wanted to get all your feedback, because I am not sure this would work....She also mentioned resource guarding, and had some more questions but her suggestion threw me for a loop...What do you guys think?

If she doesn't usually do this.. my recommendation would be to give hers to her out of the crate... let the other two go to town on theirs while she's up and then pull her out and put away the other two. She probably felt a little more secure in her crate.. if she's out in the open, she might be more apt to giving it up.

izapitty
Newborn Bully

I just dont feel that this is directing the behavior

Postby izapitty » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:17 pm

To me this is a work around - will the dog gaurd maybe not. However, to me there is a trust factor and a leadership factor that I would address. This is why i suggested that you open up the crate and get a relax on your dog then offer them the bone and keep your hand on the bottom while they are going to town on the knuckle - every now and then do an exchange. By doing this I really believe that you are "bonding" with your dog and building trust even for HIGH VALUE possesions.

Sadie has never growled when I take anything out of her mouth, away from her, or had to make her growl. But I still work on these areas especially with new bones or toys.

Good Luck!

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:48 pm

Thanks!

BaiLeY BLue
Newborn Bully

Postby BaiLeY BLue » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:49 pm

04100824 wrote:I've heard people say 20-30 minutes so that the marrow won't upset their stomachs and make them sick.

I give Reno beef ribs and just let him eat what he wants. The first couple of times he got them, I held them for him. He doesn't have a problem with me messing with his food... in fact, it took him a couple more times to figure out that I'm not going to hold the stupid bone every time!

roflmao I had a dog that would to that!! LOL roflmao

everytime she wanted to chew she would pick up whatever and bring it to me to hold...took a long time to get her to stop that!

Carla
Forum Junky

Postby Carla » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:09 pm

Sarah wrote: I should have limited his time- he basically did nothing but lie on the floor and eat bones for about 2 days until both of them were gone.

LOL! Yeah, well two days probably WOULD be a problem!

But maybe an hour or two on the bones?

Twenty minutes just isn't enough time for probably the most prized, delicious treat a dog gets to enjoy...

Carla

PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Postby PitbullLover* » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:39 am

my German Shepard does it too! and only with raw meat... he really gets nasty i try to get it away too because otherwise she is gonna be sick thats why i do it :oops: i put a leash on her... my other dog doesn't mind she wouldn't even mind if i eat it myself

Return to “Training and Behavior”