no bark collar?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
xjerseyzfinestx
Newborn Bully

no bark collar?

Postby xjerseyzfinestx » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:18 pm

hey whats up....i posted this in the equipment part of the forum but havent got any responses so i figure in the general section would be better....listen my dog has been barking alot more than usually...its becoming annoying...everytime he wants something he barks....if your tired and dont feel like playing and he wants to ...he barks.....doesnt stop....ive been thinking of getting him a no bark collar just use it for a few weeks under my supervision...till he realizes not to bark under certain situations...i just wanted your opinion.....also can anyone give me tips on how to stop a over excited dog meaning when people come in the house he nips jumps and licks like crazzzzzyyy!....i tried to use the leash but then he barks...if the people ignore him then he barks lol...hes very annoying rite now...anyone help?he

Julie K
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: no bark collar?

Postby Julie K » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:00 pm

xjerseyzfinestx wrote:hey whats up....i posted this in the equipment part of the forum but havent got any responses so i figure in the general section would be better....listen my dog has been barking alot more than usually...its becoming annoying...everytime he wants something he barks....if your tired and dont feel like playing and he wants to ...he barks.....doesnt stop....ive been thinking of getting him a no bark collar just use it for a few weeks under my supervision...till he realizes not to bark under certain situations...i just wanted your opinion.....also can anyone give me tips on how to stop a over excited dog meaning when people come in the house he nips jumps and licks like crazzzzzyyy!....i tried to use the leash but then he barks...if the people ignore him then he barks lol...hes very annoying rite now...anyone help?he

Sounds like a very bright dog on his way to becoming an adrenalin junkie. Read up on conditioned relaxation in the bridge and target thread and its sticky and please consider training---lots of it, advanced work like jumping and retrieves, too---- before you go out and purchase a bark collar.
When you don't balance play with mental work, you create a dog who is always searching for the high. These dogs can be taught to be calm and relaxed. Think outside the box of traditional dog training, which is mostly based in commands and may not be enough to occupy a very bored, smart dog.
Julie K

SpaceCakeGirl

Postby SpaceCakeGirl » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:28 pm

The problem with bark collars is the dogs know when their collars are on. My boyfriend and I housesit for a couple with two dogs that are crrraaazzyy barkers. They bark constantly unless their collars are on. My best friend's dog also knows when her collar is on.

I'd advise you to try one of the citronella ones before you get the shock collar (the citronella ones puff a spray of a smell dogs don't like, although supposedly some dogs are smart enough to move their collar so they don't get sprayed, lol). The dogs we watch have the shock collars (another friend of ours had one for his dog and he tried it on himself and said it FLIPPING hurt) and it's so sad because sometimes dogs can't help themselves (ie: they hear something that scares them or one nips the other) and you hear the bark and then the yelp from the pain. Eeks.

It makes me feel AWFUL, and I don't even really like the dogs.

RodentRanger
Super Bully

Postby RodentRanger » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:24 pm

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:10 pm

how old is the dog?
how long have you had him /her
spay or neutered?
crate trained?

Sometimes when the dog has too many privledges they get impatient , "I WANT TO PLAY NOW" as this has worked in many little ways we arent even aware of.

Maybe the dog nudged or yapped a TINY bit at you or someone and that someone pet or talked to the dog (the dog wins)
the dog barks for a treat , and gets one.
the dog is allowed to roam free and do as he pleases and thinks he is the boss of the house and has turned into an unruly teenager/adult.

CRATE
crate the dog .. when it yaps , ignore it.
dont use the crate as punishment..but use it for like an hour a day in a spot out of the line of the main household (seperate room, etc)
Dog might throw a tantrum, whistle dixie and ignore it..when doggy is calm and QUIET
let the dog out.

play time , same thing, PATIENCE
make dog SIT !!! Before tossing a toy, or tugging or anything!!!
NOTHING IN LIFE IS FREE.

by making the dog work and behave for attention we start to turn back the clock on those little training tidbits the dog trained US with.

bark collars really are just a bandaid on an impatient dog.

As for jumping on people, simple

LEASH!!!
and
when someone is coming over DO NOT LET THE DOG GREET THEM AT THE DOOR, this puts the dog in the position of decision and king of the house ..
but his arse AWAY when someone knocks on the door, IN HIS CRATE..
yes he may be annoying for a bit at first, depending on how long this has been going on.
But when he is CALM, load your friends up with some lil tid bit treats, get your dog out, PUT ON LEASH and you walk ahead of him. But the dog in a SIT if need be. Then walk forward, and ONLY when the dog is SITTING quietly by your friend does the dog get the treat and the pet.
DO NOT TOUCH THE DOG if behaving badly, let the leash correct him, (touching is still praise to the dog)
Then put doggy away, you can work up to the point where the dog is allowed in the room if behaving , tie to a chair or by his doggy bed, he isnt allowed on the couch next to humans, but on the floor where he belongs and can behave.. this might take awhile.
So put him away the first few times.

EXCERSICE makes for a calmer dog too.
So be sure doggy is getting some good running time and some tugging time if he likes tugging, but same as anything SIT Before playing with toy.

patience is the key!
And turning back their training on US!

Return to “Training and Behavior”